Health & Wellness

How often do you wash your hands?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 9:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
User avatar
May 15, 2016
6265 posts
2099 upvotes

How often do you wash your hands?

I find that I wash my hands too much which leads to cracks and extreme dryness. I do not like to lotion as I don't like the feeling but my bf is complaining that it chafes him. Confused Face

Aside from everytime before I eat, I would wash before touching clean laundry, utensils, etc. Am I being paranoid?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1192 posts
1027 upvotes
Extremely paranoid lol :p I was them when I first get home or after I have been to the bathroom. I also wash them if I have thrown out a garbage or touched something dirty. No need to wash as much as you do. Also don’t use super hot water when washing.
Banned
Dec 4, 2019
15 posts
7 upvotes
I often wash my hands, around 10 times a day. We have many pets and I always hold them so I need to wash my hands often. I used moisturizing lotion each night before I go to sleep, so I think that should be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8527 posts
2309 upvotes
Mississauga
vivibaby wrote: I find that I wash my hands too much which leads to cracks and extreme dryness. I do not like to lotion as I don't like the feeling but my bf is complaining that it chafes him. Confused Face

Aside from everytime before I eat, I would wash before touching clean laundry, utensils, etc. Am I being paranoid?
You are paranoid. But that's your choice. What I suggest is find a lotion that you can use. There are literally thousands available. Happy boyfriend happy life. lol
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2017 posts
1272 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
-Whenever I come home, it's the first thing I do
-After using the bathroom

Those are the only times.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13274 posts
7030 upvotes
Southern Ontario
You probably don’t wash as much as health care staff who may 50-100x day. Try to find a lotion or oil you do like. At home, I have Burts Bees baby oil from Indigo, Vaseline cocoa butter, and coconut lotion from the Body Shop. At work I use their scentless lotion. Keep hydrated, use a humidifier if it’s too dry in your home.

If however you’re wondering if you have OCD tendencies of doing it too much and for questionable reasons, look it up to see if you fit the criteria. I have a friend who actually had behavioral modification therapy for it.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13809 posts
3757 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, not trying to be mean, I just think maybe you need to see if you have ocd tendencies. It's not really the # of times but the times it's really required. If your hands are getting chapped, it may be a sign.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Penalty Box
User avatar
May 15, 2016
6265 posts
2099 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: You probably don’t wash as much as health care staff who may 50-100x day. Try to find a lotion or oil you do like. At home, I have Burts Bees baby oil from Indigo, Vaseline cocoa butter, and coconut lotion from the Body Shop. At work I use their scentless lotion. Keep hydrated, use a humidifier if it’s too dry in your home.

If however you’re wondering if you have OCD tendencies of doing it too much and for questionable reasons, look it up to see if you fit the criteria. I have a friend who actually had behavioral modification therapy for it.
Maybe a little OCD but it combines with the fact that I do not like to use lotions at all. I know people who eats food without washing their hands but it's something that I'd never do.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13809 posts
3757 upvotes
Montréal
Maybe check out some non-greasy lotions? If your hands are getting chapped, it's a prb.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13274 posts
7030 upvotes
Southern Ontario
What is it about lotion you don’t like? Or do you feel a compulsion to not have anything on your hands at all? Are you washing whenever it comes to mind in addition to before/after certain activities?

The concept of hand hygiene is to prevent pathogens from being spread to other objects and primarily not in your mouth/eyes/nose where they may overcome your immune system and cause sickness. At home this isn’t going to happen much unless it’s after you go to the bathroom, handle raw food, handle garbage, or is introduced by someone else coming into your home.

The other reasons you might wash is simply your hands are dirty say from gardening or painting etc. It becomes a problem when a person must always have clean hands at every moment they think of it without any rationale need to wash them.

Fwiw, I don’t really like lotions either but I know if I don’t use them, the skin on my hands will crack during winter and that’s another portal for infection.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4270 posts
2566 upvotes
Gotham
vivibaby wrote: Maybe a little OCD but it combines with the fact that I do not like to use lotions at all. I know people who eats food without washing their hands but it's something that I'd never do.
If you don't like lotions, you should protect your hands from the things that dry your hands out constantly, like cold weather, dry air and harsh soaps. You should also stay hydrated. I don't think washing your hands is the cause. Washing hands often is normal for your health.
Newbie
Nov 21, 2019
26 posts
3 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: I find that I wash my hands too much which leads to cracks and extreme dryness. I do not like to lotion as I don't like the feeling but my bf is complaining that it chafes him. Confused Face

Aside from everytime before I eat, I would wash before touching clean laundry, utensils, etc. Am I being paranoid?
Wait, how are your hands chafing your bf?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4049 posts
1174 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
i dunno about the rest of you but I wash my hands ALL the time, Most people say to wash your hands After you go Pee, but I also wash my hands BEFORE I go pee as well too, cus I don't want to get my Pee Pee dirty. why touch your pee pee with dirty covered hands, that's just asking for a urinary tract infection
Hi

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)