How often does one need to change the anode rod in the hot water tank?
This was a rental tank until now so I doubt previous owners have done any kind of maintenance on it. The tank still looks and works like brand new.
Now I have a few questions about the anode rod that I am considering replacing.
- Does the anode rod corrode for sure over time (even if the water is good)? Is there an easier way to check for it?
- How often does one need to change the anode rod?
- How hard is it to open it? I read some places that it is extremely tight and very hard to open.
- I don't have a lot of clearance on the top of the tank (40 inches give or take). How do I circumvent it? I couldn't find the folding anode rods anywhere.
- Since there was no maintenance done in the past 8 years, is it even worth it to try and change the anode rod?