• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 10:53 am
[OP]
Dec 16, 2007
196 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill

How often to MFC printers get released?

Was looking at Xerox 6515 (released November 16, 2017) and Brother MFC‐L9570CDW (released March 15, 2017) for a small business, but they seem kind of old. Any idea how often do manufacturers release printers?

Appreciate it!

Dana
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2620 posts
1361 upvotes
London
dana_2 wrote: Was looking at Xerox 6515 (released November 16, 2017) and Brother MFC‐L9570CDW (released March 15, 2017) for a small business, but they seem kind of old. Any idea how often do manufacturers release printers?

Appreciate it!

Dana
not very often not much changes in printer/scanner tech these days and with no new windows other then minor version number changes coming out there is no driver issues.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2007
196 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I had some bad experiences with MacOSX and dropped support for older printers, the most recent one is Catalina/Big Sur that do not support 32 bit drivers anymore, and since my current printer is not being supported by its manufacturer anymore (OKI), I am s___t out of luck with upgrading to 64bit drivers (so, the printer became a door stop).
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2620 posts
1361 upvotes
London
dana_2 wrote: I had some bad experiences with MacOSX and dropped support for older printers, the most recent one is Catalina/Big Sur that do not support 32 bit drivers anymore, and since my current printer is not being supported by its manufacturer anymore (OKI), I am s___t out of luck with upgrading to 64bit drivers (so, the printer became a door stop).
not sure how things go with mac stuff. odd they wouldn't have 64bit drivers i mean 64bit has been a think since at least 2006. have u tired looking for 3rd party drivers i know with windows at least sometimes people out there who don't want to let there old devices go will just make the own drivers maybe someone did for the mac. if u do grab a new print though it should be good for a good long while id suspect not like there will be any need for os to got 128 bit anytime soon.

another thing i guess u could do is setup a dual boot were u have the older os that has the driver for when u want to do printing and then have the main os for when ur doing day to day stuff.

as for drivers for the 2 units your looking at. idk how xerox is for driver updates but i have a brother hl-l2390dw this is like the lowest end black and white laser they make came out around the same time as the machine your looking at and they release windows drivers updates every few months and looks like the did a mac driver update just a month ago. so id think ud be safe to grab a brother they seem to support the stuff pretty well also if u register the print on there site they give u a free 6 month warrenty extension over the standard 1 year i believe.
Feb 17, 2019
24 posts
23 upvotes
I don't think there has been any improvements to inkjet technology in atleast a decade. They might add fancier screens, wifi, and other features, but the actual ink head has not improved. A Brother MFC printer from 10 years ago had the exact same resolution, print speed, and other technical specs as the latest ones on the market.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2007
196 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
True, but with one correction: they're laser not ink. And one improvement that I would hope new(er) MFCs would have is an SDD.