Wheels and Tires

How often should one replace winter tires (Michelin x-ice xi3)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 10:16 pm
Jul 25, 2015
870 posts
713 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: I typically go 3 winters then replace on my commuter. The armada goes 5+ but doesn't put many miles on it.
Are you selling your tires after? If not, I guarantee the shop you're using is once you leave.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8464 posts
2931 upvotes
Sinasta wrote: Are you selling your tires after? If not, I guarantee the shop you're using is once you leave.
No, they are pretty much done. I have a good size commute. 3 winters pretty much does them in. Sometimes I will start the 4th winter just to see how it goes and change to new if weather gets bad, but ride it out if it is a light winter. That is my plan for next fall, as my Continentals are just finishing winter #3.
Aug 25, 2015
194 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to install new winter tires on Nov.2019.
Can i keep drive current winter tires this summer ?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2399 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ahtusavis wrote: I'm going to install new winter tires on Nov.2019.
Yeah they will just wear fast and won't be as good as summers.

Parents used to keep winters on the Kia year round because it rarely gets driven in the summer (they have "fun" cars) but is a DD when the weather gets cold aka from Nov-April. No problems whatsoever.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13061 posts
7132 upvotes
Toronto
RigorMortis wrote: My wife has the michelin x-ice xi3 tires on her forester (225/60r17). Has been driving on them for 2 maybe 2 seasons and a bit. The tires are no where near expiry based on their dot dates and she drives approximately 20 km/day for 4-5 days/week for roughly 6 months (october to march).

Based on rough estimation of typical driving distances and frequency, the tires have seen roughly 5000 km of use by the end of this winter season.

Time to replace come next winter (safety if the top priority here) or is it safe to assume the tires should last another season or 2? The vehicle/tires are parked in an insulated garage for the majority of the day with the exception of 2-3 hrs for 4-5 days/week when she drives out for errands etc.

Try another 4-5 years at that rate
Nov 18, 2004
384 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd ask my related question here. I'm timing out on my xIce winters and will replace them next winter season. Looks like I'm the minority here as I've used them for 8 seasons or so, very little mileage, stored indoors, climate controlled, and well within the tread limits. When people replace their winters that they've end-of-lifed, do you also replace the rims (mine are basic steelies) at the same time? I will take a closer look when I get them back but they appear to just have surface rust.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5427 posts
1838 upvotes
GTEH!
Ahtusavis wrote: I'm going to install new winter tires on Nov.2019.
I wouldn't. Winter tires are not made to be driven in hot weather because of the soft rubber compound. You'd compromise handling and braking distance.
If you feel safe to drive with winter tires in the summer, it's your choice.
😎
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17107 posts
2153 upvotes
Out west
This was my 6th winter with studs, and they still have a lot of tread. Im running them out or they get dried out.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13379 posts
8345 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I got 5depth rear and 7depth front

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2399 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Webhead wrote: I wouldn't. Winter tires are not made to be driven in hot weather because of the soft rubber compound. You'd compromise handling and braking distance.
If you feel safe to drive with winter tires in the summer, it's your choice.
Agree.. Its no where near as bad as summer tires in the winter, but far from ideal. My parents have a little SUV that basically never gets driven in the summer (they have nice summer-only convertibles) and they leave the winters on some years. They wear out quicker and handling is worse, but if its just to grab groceries or the odd trip it's not so bad.
barold wrote: Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd ask my related question here. I'm timing out on my xIce winters and will replace them next winter season. Looks like I'm the minority here as I've used them for 8 seasons or so, very little mileage, stored indoors, climate controlled, and well within the tread limits. When people replace their winters that they've end-of-lifed, do you also replace the rims (mine are basic steelies) at the same time? I will take a closer look when I get them back but they appear to just have surface rust.
Usually you don't unless there's a problem with them (damaged, bent, or most often rusted). If the steeles are rusted badly or ugly looking i'd personally replace them so that they look nicer, but if they're in good condition i wouldn't hesitate to reuse them.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3673 posts
971 upvotes
Calgary
WikkiWikki wrote: This was my 6th winter with studs, and they still have a lot of tread. Im running them out or they get dried out.
Wow this thread is making me reconsider. I am on my 8th year this year with my hankook studded winter tires and the depth is still good. I feel like it'll be a waste to replace it. They still work great on winter
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17107 posts
2153 upvotes
Out west
casperr wrote: Wow this thread is making me reconsider. I am on my 8th year this year with my hankook studded winter tires and the depth is still good. I feel like it'll be a waste to replace it. They still work great on winter
Im using mine this winter again, with the lockdown driving will be less anyway.

Everytime I get them swapped, they never say there are issues
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14398 posts
2902 upvotes
Toronto
RigorMortis wrote: My wife has the michelin x-ice xi3 tires on her forester (225/60r17). Has been driving on them for 2 maybe 2 seasons and a bit. The tires are no where near expiry based on their dot dates and she drives approximately 20 km/day for 4-5 days/week for roughly 6 months (october to march).

Based on rough estimation of typical driving distances and frequency, the tires have seen roughly 5000 km of use by the end of this winter season.

Time to replace come next winter (safety if the top priority here) or is it safe to assume the tires should last another season or 2? The vehicle/tires are parked in an insulated garage for the majority of the day with the exception of 2-3 hrs for 4-5 days/week when she drives out for errands etc.
I would suggest the following:

- Examine your tires for any cuts and cracks. If they are damaged (especially on the sidewall) they might need replacement. If they look in good shape after this check:

- Buy a tread depth gauge sold for about $6

- Measure the tire tread across all areas of the tire and all tires. Transport Canada suggests a Minimum 5/32" on the tread at the START of the winter so that there is enough bite to grip the snow. If the tread depth is that or lower, it would be wise to replace them.

- Remember that even a decent quality winter tire with 5/32" tread will be much better than any all season tire that has 5/32" depth. In fact, a winter tire with 50% tire wear stops better than a NEW All Season tire.

- Here is a good article about replacing winter tires from Kaltire: https://info.kaltire.com/replace-winter-tires/

Note that they used 12/32" as a new tire and they suggest replacing it at 7/32" which I think might be too early (but good for them as they are selling tires).
The X-Ice xi3 has a new tire tread of 10.5/32" so the calculations work out as follows:

tire.jpg
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless