• Mar 26th, 2020 7:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1855 posts
719 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario

How often should we drive our cars

My vehicles have been sitting in the driveway unused. How often should we go out and do a short drive just to keep them working?
37 replies
Nov 6, 2014
678 posts
1013 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
At least once every two weeks, or you might run into battery issues or potential flat spots on tires depending on weather conditions. That said, car dealers have cars sitting for weeks if not months without driving or potentially starting and they work.
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
285 upvotes
Dealers know to start their cars up and rotate them in the lot. Brakes will start to rust after 2 days.

Need to drive 6 km or about 10 minutes at highway speeds. To burn oil properly at operating temp.

No radio etc to charge battery.

Good question btw.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34522 posts
20560 upvotes
Center of Universe
Battery is usually the first thing that goes.
I recommend you buy a smart battery maintainer.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2361 upvotes
If you hear rusting,.....move it.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1346 posts
612 upvotes
Ontario
I'd suggest once a week, especially if its a car with lots of electronics or a tiny battery. If its cold more often. Run/drive it till it warms up all the way.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15139 posts
16128 upvotes
Oakville
facebook259 wrote: My vehicles have been sitting in the driveway unused. How often should we go out and do a short drive just to keep them working?
I'd say at least once a week warm it up and go for a short drive, making sure to brake very hard to clean the rust off your brakes.
If it rains, I would recommend going for a drive as soon as it dries up.
If you park indoors, then brake rust is less of a worry, and you could get away with every 2 weeks.
If you have a battery charger, charge it at least once a month, but every 2 weeks would be ideal, especially if your car tends to drain the battery. You could also disconnect the battery if you're up for it.
Last edited by engineered on Mar 24th, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15318 posts
12777 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fordmaple wrote: At least once every two weeks, or you might run into battery issues or potential flat spots on tires depending on weather conditions. That said, car dealers have cars sitting for weeks if not months without driving or potentially starting and they work.
Modern tires don't flat spot. You may get a temporary rumble for a couple of miles. Biggest issue is the battery running flat and driving it every few days for short distances isn't going to help.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9279 posts
1401 upvotes
Just drive around for no reason and that's the daily break.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7918 posts
531 upvotes
Brampton
People store their cars for months at a time during winter etc. A few weeks is nothing. Only thing like mentioned is the battery. If worried either unplug the battery or buy a battery charger/maintainer.

But really that’s only if you won’t be touching the car for a few months.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1290 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
I take out my car every weekend for 30 mins at highway speeds.. hopefully that's enough lol.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14075 posts
8490 upvotes
Toronto
I take mine out everyday for like 14hrs.

DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1086 posts
510 upvotes
Toronto
Badman wrote: People store their cars for months at a time during winter etc. A few weeks is nothing. Only thing like mentioned is the battery. If worried either unplug the battery or buy a battery charger/maintainer.

But really that’s only if you won’t be touching the car for a few months.
This is the way to go. We regularly have cars sitting for 1-2 months at a time with no issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1277 posts
525 upvotes
If outdoors every 2 weeks with a solid 20-30min drive, unless it rains then try to do it no long after. If in the garage, then I would do it every month.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11031 posts
7384 upvotes
GTA, ON
A few weeks isn't going to do anything. Do you have someone take your car out for a drive while you're away on vacation for a week or two, or is it just sitting there waiting for you to come home?

Only thing I would suggest is unplugging your dash cam if it's hardwired for parking mode.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!