Off Topic

This is how the other half lives (buying high end goods)

[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18968 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

This is how the other half lives (buying high end goods)

Thought I had seen it all when I came across a spatula being sold for almost $100 a while back.. nope.

The ultimate symbol of decadence is a glorified laundry hamper.

I don't know what this retails for but I saw this on Kijiji and for a pittance of $800 thinking it was some kind of hand crank laundry machine for environmentally conscientious hipsters but from what I could gather Googling the company website, it's just an 'ordinary' hamper with separate compartments for your whites and colours..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1496259157

Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 14th, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to title for clarity
71 replies
Sep 7, 2009
661 posts
265 upvotes
Aren’t we the other half, with the poorer half living in 3rd world countries?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18968 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
holden wrote: Aren’t we the other half, with the poorer half living in 3rd world countries?
Not colloquially, my compare.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3929 posts
1152 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
wow guess my $20 dollar hamper I bought at Walmart is a bargain. good to know
Hi
Mar 6, 2014
683 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
For $800, a table of 4 won't be able to leave a high end restaurant in New York City or even Toronto.

An omakase course for 4 people at $200/seat with some premium Junmai sake ($500/bottle) plus tip and tax will cost you $1700. Some people would think that's crazy but most high end omakase are booked full every night for at least a month in advance, even in Toronto (before covid of course). If you have never tried omakase and you like Japanese food, it is worth every penny.

Of course, $1700 can't even get you a first class ticket to Europe or Asia... during the hot season, people pay over $10,000 for a first class ticket. I know a wealthy friend who paid $60,000 for 5 first class tickets to go to the Maldives for Christmas with his family. You might think that is crazy, but every time I go on a plane, the first and business class are always at least 90% full.

So what is a $800 laundry bin really for those who can afford it?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8725 posts
2407 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
At £415 it looks like a bargain compared to the towel hooks at £79.

https://panik-design.com/product/vipp-1 ... eel-2-pcs/
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2010 posts
1514 upvotes
Canada
And 1 btc (just digits) is like 13k...
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13091 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Doesn't matter how much a laundry hamper costs since the contents will have skidmarks, regardless. :P
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6348 posts
3255 upvotes
Aurora
OK, fess up. Anyone here owning a $1200 cell phone definitely belongs with the other half
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5720 posts
1848 upvotes
Statistics101 wrote: For $800, a table of 4 won't be able to leave a high end restaurant in New York City or even Toronto.

An omakase course for 4 people at $200/seat with some premium Junmai sake ($500/bottle) plus tip and tax will cost you $1700. Some people would think that's crazy but most high end omakase are booked full every night for at least a month in advance, even in Toronto (before covid of course). If you have never tried omakase and you like Japanese food, it is worth every penny.

Of course, $1700 can't even get you a first class ticket to Europe or Asia... during the hot season, people pay over $10,000 for a first class ticket. I know a wealthy friend who paid $60,000 for 5 first class tickets to go to the Maldives for Christmas with his family. You might think that is crazy, but every time I go on a plane, the first and business class are always at least 90% full.

Now, I've never paid $10,000 for any plane ticket (though I have spent a lot once I've landed in Tokyo, Vegas, etc), but I've been to every high end Omakase except Saito ($500 per person NOT including alcohol, not $200 per person like a lot of the other Omakase), but for me personally, I just can't spend $800 on a laundry bin. To each their own
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5128 posts
1928 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: Doesn't matter how much a laundry hamper costs since the contents will have skidmarks, regardless. :P
People who own that hamper probably just throw out their underwear if it has visible skidmarks.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3978 posts
252 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Well any luxury items can be used as examples of the other halves.My buddy buys Supreme items like its going out of business.He changes $1000 phones every year,he changes his Mac Pro every year even though I usually see him only surfs the internet and plays games on it.Sames goes for high end audio where cables goes as high as $5000 a meter or record cartridges as high as $20,000.What about those folks who pay $1500 for a gold sprinkled steak dinner or a spend $500,000 for a bottle of 1992 wine.Just say that hamper will never sell on Kijiji.The rich will never by a use hamper.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/eustaciahu ... f23f8a52f5
https://www.nordost.com/odin-supreme-reference.php
https://newyorkwineevents.com/top-5-exp ... ever-sold/
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3217 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
Statistics101 wrote: For $800, a table of 4 won't be able to leave a high end restaurant in New York City or even Toronto.

Sure, but the experience of eating at a high-end restaurant and eating top-quality food prepared by experts is something that can be argued to provide a superior experience than eating $15 AYCE sushi. As can the comfort and amenities of first-class travel. Unless that hamper grows legs and walks my laundry to the machine, sorts it, folds it, and puts it back on my shelf, how is it better than any white cylinder with a lid?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3219 posts
3499 upvotes
The judgement passed by many on here is just hilarious. You do know that's how the other half of the World judges us right? I mean, how ridiculous must it seem to be spluring on grande lattes while having avocado toast?

Mind your own business is generally what is encouraged. Good on them for affording and spending whatever money they made.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4487 posts
880 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm waiting for Ikea to make a clone of this LOL.

It looks like it's a tad cheaper just buying in Europe. It's a nice hamper though....