Off Topic

This is how the other half lives (buying high end goods)

Feb 7, 2019
193 posts
109 upvotes
Statistics101 wrote: Value is different in everyone's eyes. I knew a girl who once told me eating expensive food is a waste of money because whatever you eat just gets pooped out in the end, but a $20,000 Hermes handbag is forever. In Asia, a lot of female office workers (aka office ladies) survive on instant noodles and cheap out everything just to save up for a designer handbag. I think it's just sad to see a girl with a $10-15K handbag get packed inside a subway car, when that bag that she proudly tug between her armpit in a car full of sweaty men can get her 1 year's worth of uber rides to work.
She could be just trying to fit in. I worked in an office and a majority of the girls I work with has a Michael Kors or Kate Spade bag. When I go to work I will carry a MK or KS bag but if I'm not going to work, I will carry a no name bag that cost me $20!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1904 posts
461 upvotes
In Hiding
Wow, and I was complaining that the dollar store items are no longer $1.00! Life isn't fair, is it?
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1074 posts
152 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
gizmo8 wrote: In my view if you buy anything,eat anything etc that makes you feel good all the power to you.Whos to say you are wrong.Its your money.
There is a cost to what people buy in terms of how it impacts the planet or other people or society in general. People don't really factor that in but they should. Our society is way too overly obsessed with materialism and consumerism. It's sickening. I buy what i need to survive and consume what i need to live a decent live but i certainly don't consume unnecessarily, i don't buy crap or waste money on things i don't really need. I live pretty simple. I also make a conscious effort to not get sucked into that vacuum of corporate marketing that brainwashes society into consuming so much.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8157 posts
2850 upvotes
Mississauga
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Was at Costco the other day and saw a middle aged woman, rather poorly dressed and made up, but my wife identified a designer purse she was clutching with obvious pride. No, the purse does not the woman make. But for her that purse is probably worth it for the good feeling it gives her.
Could have been poorly dressed in our eyes, but the clothing could have all been designer.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8157 posts
2850 upvotes
Mississauga
$800 for this laundry bin used is a ripoff.

It's DKK 3,699 for a new one, which is like $775 CAD. Offer them $500.

Also, when you Google the laundry bin, they talk about the perforated lid and why wouldn't you want to air out your dirty laundry. Meanwhile, many people just use an open laundry hamper/basket so it is being aired out. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Last edited by kenchau on Sep 17th, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3988 posts
253 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
The rich do not buy used items period.Thats for the common folks.
Mar 6, 2014
683 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
I'm glad this this topic remained such a mature conversation, if we can depend RFDers on anything, it would be their ability to talk about consumerism.
MexiCanuck wrote:
I have known only a couple of people who I have considered to be seriously rich... and I didn't know them for very long..., but my observation was that with few exceptions, their consumer purchases didn't last "forever". In fact, they tended to buy replacements quite quickly in order to have the latest, especially in fashions.

The exception tended to be automobiles. One fellow I knew and still know is in his late 80s and still drives his 1980's era Rolls Royce
There is a saying that goes: spend money on experiences and not on material goods. I think people who chase the latest fashion and trends do it because it gives you a temporarily high when you acquire something you like/want, but that high goes away once you have that object and you want to experience that high again, so you look for something else around that you want to purchase, and the cycle repeats.

But then again, when I spending a few thousand on a trip to Asia or Europe, I'm chasing for the high of exploring something new. I guess we are all slaves to something for as long as we are alive...
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1369 posts
1485 upvotes
Toronto
Their money, who cares? You may not agree with it but unless someone is taking money out of your pockets to pay for it, what difference does it make?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9345 posts
6965 upvotes
I should start an upscale RFD...just make the trims gold.

watch the millennials flock!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20653 posts
4757 upvotes
Poormond Hill
kenchau wrote: $800 for this laundry bin used is a ripoff.

It's DKK 3,699 for a new one, which is like $775 CAD. Offer them $500.

Also, when you Google the laundry bin, they talk about the perforated lid and why wouldn't you want to air out your dirty laundry. Meanwhile, many people just use an open laundry hamper/basket so it is being aired out. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
I'm the odd one out. I don't use a hamper/basket. I use a couple old pillow cover for my laundry. It gets washed every time I do laundry. Unlike hamper/basket that rarely gets cleaned. Imagine using it to hold your dirty clothes and then throwing your clean clothes back in it. Ewww!

A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8320 posts
4592 upvotes
ON
Becks wrote: Doesn't matter how much a laundry hamper costs since the contents will have skidmarks, regardless. :P
But they will smell like roses, no ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8320 posts
4592 upvotes
ON
kenchau wrote: Could have been poorly dressed in our eyes, but the clothing could have all been designer.
Yeezy...
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2016 posts
1521 upvotes
Canada
Should i get gold stainless steel hermes apple watch 6 44mm lte?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13657 posts
3700 upvotes
Montréal
Wealth is relative, but many ppl don't understand this fact. Also, if you buy something to please yourself and it makes you happy and doesn't hurt other ppl, I couldn't care less and more power to you. However, if you buy things mainly to try to impress other ppl, that's pretty sad.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>