Off Topic

This is how the other half lives (buying high end goods)

Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13620 posts
3680 upvotes
Montréal
Oh, re the hamper, I just cut out the middle man and throw my dirty laundry in the washer. Efficiency and the excellence of execution BABY!!!!!!!!!
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14511 posts
11718 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
sandikosh wrote: I'm the odd one out. I don't use a hamper/basket. I use a couple old pillow cover for my laundry. It gets washed every time I do laundry. Unlike hamper/basket that rarely gets cleaned. Imagine using it to hold your dirty clothes and then throwing your clean clothes back in it. Ewww!

Lol, that’s what a Laundry Basket is for

Laundry Hamper / Laundry Bag holds your dirty items ... on their way to the washer
A Laundry Basket holds your clean (and preferably folded) items ... out of the dryer ... on the way to your closet / drawers
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13620 posts
3680 upvotes
Montréal
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, that’s what a Laundry Basket is for

Laundry Hamper / Laundry Bag holds your dirty items ... on their way to the washer
A Laundry Basket holds your clean (and preferably folded) items ... out of the dryer ... on the way to your closet / drawers
+1 lol he doing it wrong indeed.

...and pillow case is used to cover the pillow Face With Tears Of Joy Only 2 pillow covers' worth, how few clothes does he have?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Sep 1, 2013
831 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd only pay $800 for that hamper if it were a robot that detects when it's full, sends a text alert to your cellphone and then rolls off under its own power to the laundry room.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18966 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
tranquility922 wrote: +1 lol he doing it wrong indeed.

...and pillow case is used to cover the pillow Face With Tears Of Joy Only 2 pillow covers' worth, how few clothes does he have?
IKEA had a basket cart that also doubled as a bag so presumably you would wash that along with the laundry then out it comes and you can cart your clean cloths with it no fuss no muss.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20649 posts
4752 upvotes
Poormond Hill
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, that’s what a Laundry Basket is for

I know. How often do you clean your hamper/basket? My pillow case gets washed every time I do laundry. And why spend money on a laundry bag when your old pillow case can do the same?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14179 posts
5380 upvotes
Ottawa
angryaudifanatic wrote: The judgement passed by many on here is just hilarious. You do know that's how the other half of the World judges us right? I mean, how ridiculous must it seem to be spluring on grande lattes while having avocado toast?

Mind your own business is generally what is encouraged. Good on them for affording and spending whatever money they made.
exactly

When I buy something,I like to buy quality whenever possible. Sometimes I will go out of my way to buy something that's "nicer" than mass market Walmart/Ikea/HomeDepot quality. Even for everyday things, sometimes it's nice having something that doesn't feel like disposable crap. If I could afford anything, I would definitely go out my way to buy something that's not generic and doesn't look like Walmart stuff. That item might be a $800 hamper, and I couldn't care less what other people thought. I would buy it and enjoy it.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1206 posts
1037 upvotes
When you have a lot more money than you actually need you sometimes lose track of the value of objects.
The first person you should appreciate, is yourself. Otherwise you are asking others to do something you refuse to do yourself.

Life is like a roller coaster. You should try to enjoy the ride.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5012 posts
1178 upvotes
Wait, wait, hold on ... so you're telling me most people do not have 55" 4K HDR flatscreens in their 4th washrooms? That seems a bit far fetched to be honest.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18966 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
warpdrive wrote: exactly

When I buy something,I like to buy quality whenever possible. Sometimes I will go out of my way to buy something that's "nicer" than mass market Walmart/Ikea/HomeDepot quality. Even for everyday things, sometimes it's nice having something that doesn't feel like disposable crap. If I could afford anything, I would definitely go out my way to buy something that's not generic and doesn't look like Walmart stuff. That item might be a $800 hamper, and I couldn't care less what other people thought. I would buy it and enjoy it.
To many, IKEA is quality. The tier below would be Walmart or nondescript furniture stores found in strip malls.

Some years back I remembered walking into Idomo with my family. We were pretty much FOBS back then. Our clothes and appearance were pretty low rent and things haven’t improved much since to be honest but we are grateful for what we have and it’s certainly a lot better than our situation back then. Needless to say we were floored when we saw a bed frame costing in excess of $5,000 and probably cost more than the Mazda station wagon we had that only had a driver side door mirror, just to date myself. They looked like what royalty and millionaires slept on. Grand things with bed posts made of hulking genuine wood, no doubt.

What you call judgemental is may be extreme culture shock. It’s th e same with people driving around &20,000 economy cars and a $100,000 car pulls up next to you, you don’t want to look over because let’s face it, it’s a situation that’s uncomfortable for both parties even neither party would want to admit it but we know what the tacit statement is.

Edit: grammar
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18966 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
TodayHello wrote: Wait, wait, hold on ... so you're telling me most people do not have 55" 4K HDR flatscreens in their 4th washrooms? That seems a bit far fetched to be honest.
As an aside, has anyone ever found themselves spending longer then they need to because they brought their tablet or smart phone into the bathroom? The struggle is real.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18966 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
TomLafinsky wrote: When you have a lot more money than you actually need you sometimes lose track of the value of objects.
Don’t most of us fall in that category? If you’re eating fish, beef and chicken with your meals you are eating more than you need to, to survive. Those items are a want rather than a need.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1206 posts
1037 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Don’t most of us fall in that category? If you’re eating fish, beef and chicken with your meals you are eating more than you need to, to survive. Those items are a want rather than a need.
People eat fish, beef and chicken because people do not think. Because it is a cheap source of protein and because almost everyone else is doing it. Society is built this way. And people are sheep.

Anyone with a mortgage can't be in the category of having more money than they need. And a majority of people either have a mortgage or rent because they can't afford to buy. Btw, a minority actually buys a house. Most are buying a mortgage. People don't own the house, the bank owns it. But people like to fool themselves into thinking they actually own it.

Like I said earlier, people don't think and people are sheep.
The first person you should appreciate, is yourself. Otherwise you are asking others to do something you refuse to do yourself.

Life is like a roller coaster. You should try to enjoy the ride.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15435 posts
4602 upvotes
London
Supercooled wrote: ....Some years back I remembered walking into Idomo with my family. ..
Little known fact:
The owner of Idomo (Gerrit deBoer) , is the brother of John deBoer, former owner of DeBeor's - the high end furniture chain. The sister ran Heritage Interiors (Elizabeth deBoer)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13088 posts
2180 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Who came up with this idea of not judging others? Ppl who r amoral or moral relativists? Ppl who leave judgement up to their christian god? U bet I am judging u. Try and stop me.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.