Off Topic

This is how the other half lives (buying high end goods)

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4019 posts
286 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Tom you know what mortgage means in french right..."death contract"..
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19065 posts
2025 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
l69norm wrote: Little known fact:
The owner of Idomo (Gerrit deBoer) , is the brother of John deBoer, former owner of DeBeor's - the high end furniture chain. The sister ran Heritage Interiors (Elizabeth deBoer)
Im afraid I don’t know those people. Along with all the brand name millionaire billionaire moguls of industries.

The man, the myth, the legend was actually there walking around with his badass beard and all. That’s all I remembered. I also happened upon Christine what’s her face from sleep country when we went into one of sleep country’s store downtown. These people look so cheerful on tv ads but were grouches or seemed like they were having a bad day in person.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19065 posts
2025 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Becks wrote: Who came up with this idea of not judging others? Ppl who r amoral or moral relativists? Ppl who leave judgement up to their christian god? U bet I am judging u. Try and stop me.

I think we’re all evolutionarily predisposed to judging one another. It’s how we identified friend from foe, no?

The key is to not let it get to us or at least that’s what I keep telling myself.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19065 posts
2025 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
TomLafinsky wrote: People eat fish, beef and chicken because people do not think. Because it is a cheap source of protein and because almost everyone else is doing it. Society is built this way. And people are sheep.

Anyone with a mortgage can't be in the category of having more money than they need. And a majority of people either have a mortgage or rent because they can't afford to buy. Btw, a minority actually buys a house. Most are buying a mortgage. People don't own the house, the bank owns it. But people like to fool themselves into thinking they actually own it.

Like I said earlier, people don't think and people are sheep.
You seem very angry at societal norms and mores. I have my beef with it too, pardon the pun, and largely I would agree we are just following what seems to be the edict that so called experts have arbitrarily came up with. I am sensing that you’re more of an advocate of getting our protein from plants based. It would take a radical change in society and environmental thinking to force mankind get their protein strictly from non animal base but look at how we’re still trying to engineer soy to taste like meat. It’s baby steps so who knows one day we could be a species that no longer eat animals to survive.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13205 posts
2215 upvotes
City of Vancouver
TomLafinsky wrote: ...Like I said earlier, people don't think and people are sheep.
Maybe people don't all think like u do. Maybe they do think?!?

"Theory of mind is the ability to attribute mental states such as beliefs, intents, desires, emotions and knowledge, among others, to oneself and to others. Theory of mind is necessary to understand that others have beliefs, desires, intentions, and perspectives that are different from one's own. Theory of mind is crucial for everyday human social interactions and is used when analyzing, judging, and inferring others' behaviors. Deficits can occur in people with autism spectrum disorders, genetic-based eating disorders, schizophrenia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, cocaine addiction, and brain damage suffered from alcohol's neurotoxicity; deficits associated with opiate addiction reverse after prolonged abstinence..." (from wikipedia)
Last edited by Becks on Sep 21st, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1367 posts
1126 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: You seem very angry at societal norms and mores. I have my beef with it too, pardon the pun, and largely I would agree we are just following what seems to be the edict that so called experts have arbitrarily came up with. I am sensing that you’re more of an advocate of getting our protein from plants based. It would take a radical change in society and environmental thinking to force mankind get their protein strictly from non animal base but look at how we’re still trying to engineer soy to taste like meat. It’s baby steps so who knows one day we could be a species that no longer eat animals to survive.
I'm fed up with how f*ck**g primitive people are. 90%+ of everything they believe in is either a lie or a falsehood. This planet is about materialism. Period. People need to eat and exploiting living creatures that are less evolved is the way to go for them. No, I don't eat meat.

Bottom line is most people go through life without really thinking. Deep thinking or thinking outside the box seems to escape them. I have given up on the current human race. And we, as a society, are going downhill fast.

In the end it doesn't really matter. This is just one of the races that will inhabit this planet for a while. It is just unfortunate this human race isn't more evolved.

Becks wrote: Maybe people don't all think like u do. Maybe they do think?!?
Yep, you are right. Most people don't see things the way I do. They surely have some thinking abilities, as long as it fits inside the box.
The rising sun is like a beating heart.

Time will cease to exist when there won't be a soul left in the Universe.
Jul 7, 2005
926 posts
128 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Thought I had seen it all when I came across a spatula being sold for almost $100 a while back.. nope.

The ultimate symbol of decadence is a glorified laundry hamper.

I don't know what this retails for but I saw this on Kijiji and for a pittance of $800 thinking it was some kind of hand crank laundry machine for environmentally conscientious hipsters but from what I could gather Googling the company website, it's just an 'ordinary' hamper with separate compartments for your whites and colours..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1496259157

You should move in with your compare.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6966 posts
957 upvotes
Ottawa
gizmo8 wrote: Tom you know what mortgage means in french right..."death contract"..
In French a business licence is a "licence d'exploitation". Confused Face
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1851 posts
385 upvotes
Lévis
At that price it's probably sold by wayfair...
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3495 posts
29336 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Everyone used to have lunch money, or side pocket money, that they'd decide what to get. For lots of people, pulling that out would require going to the bank or saving. Some people walking into a store because they read a good review on it and spending that on something they think will benefit/improve their lives. What's in your wallet, you could be asking that in another way. What's your disposable income. How much of life can you live just by sprinkling some more green onto it?

I personally wouldn't buy it, and the majority of people wouldn't, but why do some things exist for no reason. Buy it or not, it seems to serve a use for something and what some else wants for it and what someone will pay for it is a homey discussion of economics. All I know about graphs is that I reach some peaks, the ones I can reach, and don't care about the side bars alphanumerizing the pattern for others to study somehow explaining what's going on as if they can't just say it...trends. Maybe that's it. It's just a trend, people caring about their homes, something to wish for in a home magazine, and you're sharing your past magazine memory because you don't like the price tag? I don't know why I'm replying, time to blaze one
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6400 posts
1211 upvotes
Anyone else find the silver accents a bit harsh against the rest of the pic? They coulda styled that a bit better if they wanted orders to come pouring in. I think I’ll pass.