• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 1:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1404 posts
550 upvotes

How to overclock using ASRock AB350M-HDV

Google can't find anything about how to OC on this particular board, so I thought I'd help by posting my notes while trying to OC with this.

I used these parts:
- Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
- Team T-Force / Night Hawk 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
- Windows 10
- Just stock parts plus a cheap case fan I harvested from an old Pentium system(!)
- BIOS v3.10 (07/17/2017)

Working Config 1:
- BIOS clocked to 3600 MHz
- Boots up and runs stable
- CPU locked at ~3600 MHz and won't clock down during idle
- Max temp: 52 C

Working Config 2:
- BIOS clocked at AUTO (non-OC)
- Use ASRock A-Tuning software to OC to 3600MHz

Working Config 3:
- Use ASRock A-Tuning software to OC to 3800MHz
- Temp min/max: 39/60 C

Semi-Working Config 1:
- Use ASRock A-Tuning software to OC to 3850MHz, CPU voltage at 1.37500 V
- Temp min/max: 38/71 C
- Crashed when running Prime95

Semi-Working Config 2:
- Use ASRock A-Tuning software to OC to 3900MHz, CPU voltage at 1.40000 V
- Temp min/max: 40/74 C
- Crashed when running Prime95

Non-Working Config 1:
- Use ASRock A-Tuning software to OC to 4000MHz, CPU voltage 1.23750V or 1.41250V
- Crash immediately

Non-Working Config 2:
- Use ASRock A-Tuning software to OC to 3900MHz, CPU voltage 1.23750V or 1.24375V
- Crash immediately when under load

Non-Working Config 3:
- Use ASRock A-Tuning software to OC to 3850MHz, CPU voltage 1.23750V or 1.25625V
- Crash immediately when under load

When using A-Tuning to OC and with "Standard" mode, CPU will clock down during idle to less than 1400MHz and clock up to near OC frequency during load. When using "Performance" mode, CPU will NOT clock down during idle. This is occurring with Windows "Performance" Power Plan with Minimum CPU rate at 100%.

Google showed other people had general problems clocking down during idle with other configs. So OC-ing with A-Tuning is a good way around the problem with this particular MB.

Tests at 3600 MHz aren't really overclocking since the CPU seems to hit 3700 MHz anyways when all BIOS settings are AUTO and A-Tuning hasn't loaded.

Default CPU Voltage is 1.23750V if not mentioned in above.

TBD - Run Prime95 longer on configs.
Last edited by shopper_of_things on Aug 10th, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3128 posts
1310 upvotes
Windsor
Post on ASRock forums, or just go on the Gigabyte/Asus/MSI boards and see what configurations they're using; the settings should basically be the same for all of them. In general, doing it in BIOS results with a better overclock.

Also, I don't believe you can currently overclock, while still maintaining the downclocking feature; So, you're either stuck @ max clocks, or you're stock, where all the power savings stuff still works. My information might be outdated, since I overclocked my chip on a much older BIOS than is currently available.

You'll want to make sure you're using the newest BIOS; not sure if it'll have a large impact, but can't hurt.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1404 posts
550 upvotes
ChubChub wrote: Post on ASRock forums, or just go on the Gigabyte/Asus/MSI boards and see what configurations they're using; the settings should basically be the same for all of them. In general, doing it in BIOS results with a better overclock.

Also, I don't believe you can currently overclock, while still maintaining the downclocking feature; So, you're either stuck @ max clocks, or you're stock, where all the power savings stuff still works. My information might be outdated, since I overclocked my chip on a much older BIOS than is currently available.

You'll want to make sure you're using the newest BIOS; not sure if it'll have a large impact, but can't hurt.
I actually posted 1st to overclock.net, but I'm new there so my post didn't show up for a couple of days. I cloned it here before I lost the notes.

I'll just keep updating post #1 in both forums if I try more settings, but I probably won't OC it too much since stability is more important than a couple of benchmark points.

BTW: BIOS is 3.10 (07/17/2017)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29093 posts
4782 upvotes
Montreal
3.9 isn't bad. Ryzen pretty much tops out at 3.8 to 4 on air cooling. Good job and call it a day.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
100-200Mhz "OC" with what seems like a lot of time wasted and doesn't downclock at idle meaning probably power savings lost. In other words...Ryzen don't OC and don't waste your time. But we all knew that already so yeah.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1404 posts
550 upvotes
Started to do more Prime95 tests. Usually, CPU Package (Node 0) temperature goes past 85C and system crashes. After several tests and some system tweaks, even low OC tests failed. Probably need to clear CMOS and do "proper" OC procedure of small changes, test, and repeat. Not worth my while so I'm just leaving my system non-OC.
Sep 16, 2006
944 posts
201 upvotes
Barrie, ON
This thread will do more harm than good. If you don't overclock in the bios, you shouldn't be overclocking. Period.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote: This thread will do more harm than good. If you bought a Ryzen CPU, you shouldn't be overclocking. Period.
Fixed that for you ;) Seriously AMD's scammy "all processors unlocked" thing is just pure nonsense in reality. Obviously ends up in way too much wasted time tweaking compared to any benefit you might get from these "don't OC" CPUs.

As for the thread, perhaps it should be called "How NOT to overclock using AsRock AB350M-HDV" :lol:
Sep 16, 2006
944 posts
201 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Please explain how it's scammy? They all have an unlocked multi. The fact that Ryzen doesn't scale as high as Intel Core based cpus is irrelevant to the conversation, though it is a point of contention for a lot of users.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote: Please explain how it's scammy? They all have an unlocked multi. The fact that Ryzen doesn't scale as high as Intel Core based cpus is irrelevant to the conversation, though it is a point of contention for a lot of users.
It's scammy because it leads people to believe these CPUs can all be OC'd for more performance...when they can't be. And do tell where I even mentioned the word Intel up until now? :rolleyes: Only you brought up something you then purport is 'irrelevant'. If it's irrelevant why did you mention it? An FX-8xxx is probably a better OCer than most Ryzens--despite the heat and power those things can get up to they still at least actually OC.

What AMD did here was just pretend like "all unlocked" is some kind of feature or benefit when the reality is it's meaningless nonsense because you can't OC them anyway. Unless you consider 200Mhz on a near-4Ghz processor an "OC" :lol: That may have been an awesome OC when average processor speeds were a half gigahertz, lol, but not today.

AMD is just hyping this crap up for the sake of hyping it up. It's would be like having an unlocked phone that only works on the frequencies of one particular carrier. So who the hell cares if it's unlocked if you can't use it on any other carrier anyway? Same thing here. Unlocked is meaningless when the processors don't OC. But unfortunately the scam game has led to ppl buying these processors and wasting their time thinking they might get something more out of them as compared to say a non-K Intel (now since you mentioned Intel, I will too). But the reality? "Unlocked" Ryzen 5s are no better than locked i5s at the same price, for the vast majority of uses...and they overclock just as well.* ("Same Performace? Same Price. Only from AMD.")

*Actually wait, on some boards with a separate BCLK gen and renegade BIOS one can actually OC locked Skylakes netting again far better OCing than any Ryzen could ever even dream about :lol: How's that for unlocked? LOL
Sep 16, 2006
944 posts
201 upvotes
Barrie, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: It's scammy because it leads people to believe these CPUs can all be OC'd for more performance...when they can't be. And do tell where I even mentioned the word Intel up until now? :rolleyes: Only you brought up something you then purport is 'irrelevant'. If it's irrelevant why did you mention it? An FX-8xxx is probably a better OCer than most Ryzens--despite the heat and power those things can get up to they still at least actually OC.

What AMD did here was just pretend like "all unlocked" is some kind of feature or benefit when the reality is it's meaningless nonsense because you can't OC them anyway. Unless you consider 200Mhz on a near-4Ghz processor an "OC" :lol: That may have been an awesome OC when average processor speeds were a half gigahertz, lol, but not today.

AMD is just hyping this crap up for the sake of hyping it up. It's would be like having an unlocked phone that only works on the frequencies of one particular carrier. So who the hell cares if it's unlocked if you can't use it on any other carrier anyway? Same thing here. Unlocked is meaningless when the processors don't OC. But unfortunately the scam game has led to ppl buying these processors and wasting their time thinking they might get something more out of them as compared to say a non-K Intel (now since you mentioned Intel, I will too). But the reality? "Unlocked" Ryzen 5s are no better than locked i5s at the same price, for the vast majority of uses...and they overclock just as well.* ("Same Performace? Same Price. Only from AMD.")

*Actually wait, on some boards with a separate BCLK gen and renegade BIOS one can actually OC locked Skylakes netting again far better OCing than any Ryzen could ever even dream about :lol: How's that for unlocked? LOL

You realize you can get a 6 core Ryzen 5 for the price of an i5 and end up with 3X as many threads right? And if you compare i7 to Ryzen 7, you're getting twice as many cores for the same money at roughly the same IPC. If you do more than just game, that's a real value.
And yes, they don't OC very far. About 4Ghz or so is the limit. So what? People know what they're getting. It's not a scam. If you consider how far AMD has come in a single generation from Piledriver architecture to Ryzen, that's impressive. 53% IPC improvement bro.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7230 posts
1563 upvotes
Toronto
I do not think that most people buy a processor for the sole reason it is unlocked. The primary feature of Ryzen is the many decent cores, the unlocked multi would be at most a distant 2nd consideration.

If there was alot of value left on the table for the consumer through an unlocked multi, AMD would not have put it on every Ryzen CPU, that much I agree with ES on.

Since AMD is giving away an unlocked multi for essentially free, there is nothing to complain about. For me, I would prefer an unlocked multi, not because I would OC the thing, but because generally platforms with unlocked multi have more dials to play around with and I like to undervolt CPUs. Nothing that I do on my PC warrants Overclocking, but saving power is always warranted.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29093 posts
4782 upvotes
Montreal
Well it does make the 1600 and 1700 nice parts to consider, since they can be brought to 1800x clocks without much effort. No 4.1ghz is not easy but 3.6 seems to be pretty easy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)