How to paint a dark brown color wall in a bedroom to white

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 5:04 pm
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes

How to paint a dark brown color wall in a bedroom to white

I have a dark brown bedroom and a deep purple color bedroom walls.

What's the most effective way to paint them into white or light grey? I tried to paint two coating of white paint with primer, however, the effect was very bad, and can see scuff marks here and there. If I directly apply two coatings of white paint (without primer), I could not cover the color at many areas.

What's the most effective way to repaint a dark color wall to light colors? Your suggestion is greatly appreciated.
World cup is coming
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Which brand paint/primer did you use ?
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes
I used homedepot BEHR brand (paint/primer two-in-one can)
TLSRULZ wrote: Which brand paint/primer did you use ?
World cup is coming
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Use a Primer first, then paint after... Using a paint/Primer in one won't work as you found out
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes
You mean buy a can of pure primer first?
schade wrote: Use a Primer first, then paint after... Using a paint/Primer in one won't work as you found out
World cup is coming
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
We used a paint/primer in one (probably Behr, but might have been Benjamin Moore as well, as we used both in various parts of our whole house repainting several years ago), when we went from a burgundy to blue, and it worked fine. But when you want to make a more drastic change, especially dark to white, then it's definitely a phased approach, as @TomLafinsky says above. White primer will cover the grey primer a lot easier than what you are finding, and then a good quality white paint on top of that.
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes
djeffery wrote: We used a paint/primer in one (probably Behr, but might have been Benjamin Moore as well, as we used both in various parts of our whole house repainting several years ago), when we went from a burgundy to blue, and it worked fine. But when you want to make a more drastic change, especially dark to white, then it's definitely a phased approach, as @TomLafinsky says above. White primer will cover the grey primer a lot easier than what you are finding, and then a good quality white paint on top of that.
Thanks. So is the primer in the first link ok for this job?
World cup is coming
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
ilovetoyota wrote: Thanks. So is the primer in the first link ok for this job?
Yes. I am not a pro painter, but here's how I learned to pain. First make repaires. Lightly sand walls to remove old paint "pics" and irregularity. Wash. Washing is an important step. Then prime. Not with a 2 in 1 paint, but with a good primer that will seal repairs and hide old color. Thereafter paint with the color you want. You can have your primer tinted if you want to. 2 in 1 paints are made for lazy persons or for those who are on a rush and have to do a quick job. Or for those who don't know much about painting ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1152 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
ilovetoyota wrote: I used homedepot BEHR brand (paint/primer two-in-one can)
Behr marquee? That stuff is thick usually and coats well
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
I would stick to the Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore line .. you may pay more per can .. but as you have seen sometimes it's quality vs price. 2 in one also won't work when changing from dark to light.

Never buy them unless there is a sale running.. then buy un-tinted and you can always tint when your using.
Also there is a sale coming up for Sherwin williams. There is a thread here on it
Last edited by TLSRULZ on Jul 23rd, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: I used homedepot BEHR brand (paint/primer two-in-one can)
BEHR is probably the worse brand of paint out there.
You need a dedicated primer. I used Zinsser with excellent results.
May 31, 2017
332 posts
88 upvotes
When I took our dark green living room to light grey, I did two coats of primer (Sherwin Williams drywall primer), and then felt better about the paint going over top. I only got around to one coat of paint so far (got side tracked with life), and there's no hint of the old green anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
breads wrote: When I took our dark green living room to light grey, I did two coats of primer (Sherwin Williams drywall primer), and then felt better about the paint going over top. I only got around to one coat of paint so far (got side tracked with life), and there's no hint of the old green anywhere.
the secret is cleanliness of the wall, and then prime with a good primer

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)