Art and Photography

How is the passport photo service in Shoppers drug mart?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 1:17 am
[OP]
Jul 20, 2019
234 posts
124 upvotes

How is the passport photo service in Shoppers drug mart?

Do they do a good job? where do you usually take your passport photo?
22 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19166 posts
2889 upvotes
Woodbridge
Costco.

Take it to Wal-Mart if you're not a member.

Seriously, go with the cheapest. It a passport photo. I'm sure SDM more than the two.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 11, 2007
1083 posts
806 upvotes
Kitchener
costco, walmart or whoever does it for cheap. SDM is pricey.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5013 posts
3179 upvotes
Cost of a passport photo to a retailer is 4-6 cents.

Go for the cheapest.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
23062 posts
11096 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, the photos are to standard and you can get more than just a Canadian passport. However, Shoppers has gone up in price (I guess due to convenience) so if that's important to you, go ahead.

You simply ask the cashier that you'd like to have a passport photo taken and they will call the appropriate staff to take the photo.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
[OP]
Jul 20, 2019
234 posts
124 upvotes
bembol wrote: Costco.

Take it to Wal-Mart if you're not a member.

Seriously, go with the cheapest. It a passport photo. I'm sure SDM more than the two.
Thanks..

Need to take a PR card photo and a photo for citizenship at the same time.
5 years ago when I update my PR card I used a local photo shop, and the Photos got rejected... don't want it to happen again.

I broke my leg couple weeks ago, so I‘m not convenient to drive... But there's a SDM right at my condo. So I wonder if anyone tried it before.
[OP]
Jul 20, 2019
234 posts
124 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Cost of a passport photo to a retailer is 4-6 cents.

Go for the cheapest.
Thanks..

5 years ago when I update my PR card I used a local photo shop, and the Photos got rejected... don't want it to happen again.

I broke my leg couple weeks ago, so I‘m not convenient to drive... But there's a SDM right at my condo. So I wonder if anyone tried it before.
[OP]
Jul 20, 2019
234 posts
124 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: Yes, the photos are to standard and you can get more than just a Canadian passport. However, Shoppers has gone up in price (I guess due to convenience) so if that's important to you, go ahead.

You simply ask the cashier that you'd like to have a passport photo taken and they will call the appropriate staff to take the photo.
Thanks..

Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
23062 posts
11096 upvotes
Toronto
BatmoBeal wrote: Thanks..

Shoppers does a lot of passport photos. Just make sure the background is white (when you see the photos) and you should be fine. They stamp the photo as well.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5013 posts
3179 upvotes
BatmoBeal wrote: Thanks..

Just make sure you tell them what it's for. PR and passport photo specs are different. The bigger scam is they may charge you twice since it's for two things..
[OP]
Jul 20, 2019
234 posts
124 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Just make sure you tell them what it's for. PR and passport photo specs are different. The bigger scam is they may charge you twice since it's for two things..
Went there and asked about the specs, staff said PR and passport are the same spec now
Nov 21, 2006
621 posts
403 upvotes
The quality at Shoppers drug mart is terrible.
It's your picture - respect yourself and spend a couple more dollars
Nov 29, 2011
968 posts
344 upvotes
Milton
There are requirements for passport photos, which you can read about here.

All that matters is that the photos you get adhere to those requirements.

Any major place like Costco or Shoppers should be fine. I've even had ones done at a local photo store in the mall and they were fine too. You just make sure they're being done specifically for passport photos.
[OP]
Jul 20, 2019
234 posts
124 upvotes
digger1 wrote: The quality at Shoppers drug mart is terrible.
It's your picture - respect yourself and spend a couple more dollars
Thanks for the input... Shoppers is the most expensive place tho.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6964 posts
3478 upvotes
Debtario
All they do is get a stool, pull down a white backdrop in front of the milk area and take a pic with a stock consumer-grade DSLR (a T2i at mine), then print it on the spot, put a template over it and cut it, then stamp etc. The person doing it last time was just reading off instructions on how to do it, price was around $15 but that was a few years ago.

TBH you could just take your own, print it, and then handwrite (or print) a fake business name and address ( or any address, hey maybe one of an actual place?), have someone sign it. They do not check it, there are so many tiny hole in the wall shops and private photogs that it would be quite cost prohibitive to do so, there's no reference numbers or receipts involved so it would be difficult to verify in that regard as well.
As long as it meets the size/no hat/no smile etc. requirements you're good to go.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/make-you ... s-1116031/
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Feb 20, 2009
260 posts
214 upvotes
Mississauga
Can anyone recommend any mom/pop place that takes passport photo in the GTA?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4862 posts
1360 upvotes
does it matter?
ravenjo wrote: Can anyone recommend any mom/pop place that takes passport photo in the GTA?
https://www.print2go.com/

Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12002 posts
2981 upvotes
Durham Region
Yea literally anywhere other than SDM is better. They're at least 2-3x more expensive than everywhere else.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)