Credit Cards

how to pay for my first credit card bill?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2018 9:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 22, 2018
18 posts
3 upvotes

how to pay for my first credit card bill?

Hi,
I know this question sounds silly. but i'm a new immigrant just had my first credit card this week.
i know i have to pay the amount that i've spend at the end of every month but when i visited the RBC website they dont have a guide on that.and also no specific date.
So please guide me if you know how?

one other question just came to my mind: if i want to cancel my card on the future and get another credit card ,how should i do that? and is it a negative thing for your credit score to cancel your visa card?

Thanks,
4 replies
Apr 14, 2006
949 posts
584 upvotes
St Johns
The statement will tell you the due date and also minimum payment, do yourself a favor never pay the minimum. As for switching credit cards don’t do it anytime soon as you likely don’t have a good credit history.
Dec 3, 2009
305 posts
148 upvotes
Simcoe County
jenlinguria wrote: Hi,
I know this question sounds silly. but i'm a new immigrant just had my first credit card this week.
i know i have to pay the amount that i've spend at the end of every month but when i visited the RBC website they dont have a guide on that.and also no specific date.
So please guide me if you know how?

one other question just came to my mind: if i want to cancel my card on the future and get another credit card ,how should i do that? and is it a negative thing for your credit score to cancel your visa card?

Thanks,
Also never leave it to the due date to make your payment. If it's posted late it'll effect your credit rating. If you are paying at the issuing bank (RBC branch for a RBC card) then 3-4 days before is perfect it doesn't take that long to post, but it's a good idea so you never make a mistake. ;)

For me I just pay the entire statement amount as soon the statement prints. Then I'm not worried about it. Also sign up for online access if you haven't already done so. You'll be able to see your statement faster than waiting for the mail.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6098 posts
4124 upvotes
I assume you have an RBC credit card and an RBC Bank account.

Typically to pay the credit card from the same institution, you just transfer funds from the chqing or savings account to the credit card account.

If not from the same bank, need to set up a bill payment. Search for the bank (example "RBC visa") when you add bill payee. Enter your credit card number for the account number. Then you can use bill payment function to pay.

Also, even if you are gonna get another credit card don't cancel this one. If the new card you want is from the same bank, try to do a product switch. If it is another bank, switch this one to a no fee card and leave it open to build credit history.
Jan 10, 2018
344 posts
197 upvotes
Pay the full amount on the bill before the due date to avoid any interest charges. I pay mine online with internet banking.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)