Home & Garden

How to position door along stair run to access "New" Bedroom?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 11:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2018 posts
496 upvotes
Kitchener

How to position door along stair run to access "New" Bedroom?

Hello All,

So I'm thinking of adding a master bedroom over the garage, but the access seems to be problematic. I don't want to change the roof line at the front of the house, so I'm thinking of adding a shed style dormer at the back. The problem is access.
The stairway to the second floor goes like this.
Two steps to a 36" landing, left turn then 12 steps to a 32" landing, left turn up two steps to the hall for the bedroom. Ideally, a door at right side of the top landing, but the roofline would have to be raised above the current peak to make room for the door. I don't want to do this because of $$$$. Can anyone suggest how to add an access door a little lower from the second landing so it'll be within the current garage attic?

I'm waiting for an appointment from a couple of contractors to see what can be done, but I'd like a few ideas beforehand to have abetter understanding of what they may suggest.

I'd also take recommendations for anyone that may be able to do a proper job at a reasonable cost. I'm in Kitchener, Ontario

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1073 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
Pictures or floor plans would help.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2018 posts
496 upvotes
Kitchener
Faemow and koffey, you are both correct. I was just in a rush. I'll post more appropriate info shortly.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4225 posts
858 upvotes
Ottawa
You need an architect. Renovations aren't cheap if done properly.