Home & Garden

How to position door along stair run to access "New" Bedroom?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 11:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1865 posts
317 upvotes
Kitchener

How to position door along stair run to access "New" Bedroom?

Hello All,

So I'm thinking of adding a master bedroom over the garage, but the access seems to be problematic. I don't want to change the roof line at the front of the house, so I'm thinking of adding a shed style dormer at the back. The problem is access.
The stairway to the second floor goes like this.
Two steps to a 36" landing, left turn then 12 steps to a 32" landing, left turn up two steps to the hall for the bedroom. Ideally, a door at right side of the top landing, but the roofline would have to be raised above the current peak to make room for the door. I don't want to do this because of $$$$. Can anyone suggest how to add an access door a little lower from the second landing so it'll be within the current garage attic?

I'm waiting for an appointment from a couple of contractors to see what can be done, but I'd like a few ideas beforehand to have abetter understanding of what they may suggest.

I'd also take recommendations for anyone that may be able to do a proper job at a reasonable cost. I'm in Kitchener, Ontario

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1039 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
Pictures or floor plans would help.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11547 posts
5923 upvotes
Toronto
Without knowing the floor layout, the only suggestion I can offer is pocket door.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1865 posts
317 upvotes
Kitchener
Faemow and koffey, you are both correct. I was just in a rush. I'll post more appropriate info shortly.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4224 posts
855 upvotes
Ottawa
You need an architect. Renovations aren't cheap if done properly.