• Apr 16th, 2020 6:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
674 posts
170 upvotes
Leask

How to prevent water damage?

A friend of mine had one of his second floor bathroom water line burst and the damage was substantial.

Over $60k in damage and hopefully insurance will covers it.

What can one do to reduce the likelihood of this happening?

My house is 2005 build and uses pvc water pipe.

Both my dishwasher and washing machine has new flexible water line. Did it in 2019.

Is it true we should replace the pipe for the toilet with one of the newer flexible pipe? My 2005 build uses pvc (non flexible) pipe to the toilet bowl.

Same for the faucet, uses pvc.

I have already order five more water leak alarm to be place in bathrooms, kitchen sink and dishwasher

I have two wifi water leak detectors for sump pit and furnace room.

Anything else?
7 replies
Jun 26, 2019
966 posts
714 upvotes
A lot of this stuff comes down to luck and a bit of maintenance. Generally for pex its less likely that you'll have some of these older failures, such as someone putting on too much flux and it eating through the pipe.

Do you know what was the cause of your friends waterline burst? Was it an older house?
THINKPOD wrote: I have already order five more water leak alarm to be place in bathrooms, kitchen sink and dishwasher

I have two wifi water leak detectors for sump pit and furnace room.
I've never understood these leak detectors, I can see they could alert you to a leak slightly faster than normal, but for the most part if you're out of the house, then you're out of luck. And if its a big leak, aka a "burst pipe" its probably going to do a fair bit of damage if you're away.

All things considered, I'll admit that a leak detector next to your sump pit could be a good idea, to know if its flooded, but even then, I would put a high water alarm on your sump.

That said, I like products like Flo by Moen that can detect and fix your problems, even if you aren't home. https://www.moen.ca/flo

There are lots of other products like it, and Flo is probably one of the more premium ones, but if you're that concerned, this may calm your fears.

Aside, it usually goes on sale in the states if you have a way to get it from down there, granted the current exchange is pretty bleh.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1659 posts
1339 upvotes
Here, or here. At the minimum every single home owner should have something like this for the water tank!!!!!

The Streamlabs was on sale a few months ago for US$400 IIRC.
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11327 posts
2783 upvotes
Kingston
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: I've never understood these leak detectors, I can see they could alert you to a leak slightly faster than normal, but for the most part if you're out of the house, then you're out of luck. And if its a big leak, aka a "burst pipe" its probably going to do a fair bit of damage if you're away.
I have wifi leak detectors under all my sinks, at my water heater, under dishwasher, and other spots. And I have a device that can close the main water valve. So if a leak is detected it will automatically close the main water valve. Should defniitely minimize the damage if I have a link.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
674 posts
170 upvotes
Leask
Moen Flo looks like a good idea! a bit on the expensive side.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1659 posts
1339 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: Moen Flo looks like a good idea! a bit on the expensive side.
Probably less than the deductible on your insurance ;)
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
Jul 26, 2008
439 posts
480 upvotes
Montreal
Solution : Smartthings hub, Dome leak detectors or other Z WAVE sensors at very sink, bath, toilet, washer, dish washer water heater etc...
A Water corp Zwave valve on the water main. ( these were on sale for very cheap a few years ago on amazon.com ) the second one of those detectors senses water the main valve shuts off.

This can go futur you setup a Smartthings routine to automatically close the valve when you leave the house, and open it back when your back home.