• Jun 13th, 2014 10:07 am
[OP]
Banned
May 8, 2014
79 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

How to properly rustproof your car?

Can you use used motor oil and spray it on the underbody, away from the rubber? I havent tried it

I did buy a can of rustcheck coat and protect at walmart which was like $5.99 (cheapest I've seen) which is a really thick oil and sprayed it under the quarter panel, hood, door, anywhere where they are prone to noticeably rust easily. I still got a few places to do.

What do you guys do?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
3868 posts
1247 upvotes
Ontario
I wouldn't do the used oil thing, but I would be interested to hear how the rustcheck stuff works as I need to do my truck. how many cans would you need for a pickup?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2814 posts
577 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
have it done property at a rust proofing shop, then use the cans to "touch up" the rust proofing oil every few weeks in the areas that are the most vulnerable (e.g. rear wheel arches).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27701 posts
8061 upvotes
First off used motor oil stinks (literally) and is, well, black, dirty, and messy. Secondly motor oil drips/leaks/flows and will just come off the car for the most part. Rustproofing oils are designed to stay in place (some like Krown do drip at first but unlike motor oil this stuff does stay in place better and it also creeps better than motor oil would).

Someone on here found a source for getting large(r) quantities of Corrosion Free IIRC, though you would need a power/air sprayer of some sort to apply it. You could use the aerosol cans but you're not going to do as good a job of it. Plus if you want to do it totally right you have to drill holes and if you don't know what you're doing that's probably not a good idea.

It is probably better left to a pro but sometimes they don't do a great job either. Like everything these days I'm sure there are "eHow" type articles out there as well as YouTube vids.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5862 posts
260 upvotes
Vancouver
I thought for some cars, to do proper rust proofing they need to drill holes in certain places to get the rust proofing in those areas?
Banned
Oct 17, 2013
2337 posts
461 upvotes
T.O.
I removed the side skirts, and applied a mixture of heavy duty "waterproof marine/bearing grease" and old motor oil to the metal underneath it and in the rear wheel wells, as well as under the door sills where salt/grit can stick. Rub her down in all the nooks and crannies where rust traditionally forms! Apply it under the car directly on the brake/fuel lines too! Just pack it in and smear it around on the inner rear wheel well lips, etc.

Got the tip from a friend in the auto bodyshop industry who has seen far too many older Hondas/cars with rust.

marine grease (from CT): -- does NOT wash away and sticks like glue! Displaces moisture/water VERY effectively.

[IMG]https://nuxx.net/gallery/d/103726-1/IMG_7297.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a forum post I made on an Integra board on rust prevention.... these cars are knows rustbuckets, in the words of ES_Revenge :D :

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/7-app ... roads.html
Dec 22, 2011
326 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville
blacurarl wrote: I removed the side skirts, and applied a mixture of heavy duty "waterproof marine/bearing grease" and old motor oil to the metal underneath it and in the rear wheel wells, as well as under the door sills where salt/grit can stick. Rub her down in all the nooks and crannies where rust traditionally forms! Apply it under the car directly on the brake/fuel lines too! Just pack it in and smear it around on the inner rear wheel well lips, etc.

Got the tip from a friend in the auto bodyshop industry who has seen far too many older Hondas/cars with rust.

marine grease (from CT): -- does NOT wash away and sticks like glue! Displaces moisture/water VERY effectively.

[IMG]https://nuxx.net/gallery/d/103726-1/IMG_7297.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a forum post I made on an Integra board on rust prevention.... these cars are knows rustbuckets, in the words of ES_Revenge :D :

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/7-app ... roads.html
I use this stuff on my 7 way trailer connector.Before,I would have to replace the plug every spring from corrosion over the winter,but now I apply the grease every fall and no problems.I haven't tried it on anything else,but I am sure it work great.For an entire vehicle though I go to corrosion free in Oakville-great stuff,no drips.The vehicle I had done at Krown in March is still fricking dripping on my driveway.
Banned
Oct 17, 2013
2337 posts
461 upvotes
T.O.
nicry1 wrote: I use this stuff on my 7 way trailer connector.Before,I would have to replace the plug every spring from corrosion over the winter,but now I apply the grease every fall and no problems.I haven't tried it on anything else,but I am sure it work great.For an entire vehicle though I go to corrosion free in Oakville-great stuff,no drips.The vehicle I had done at Krown in March is still fricking dripping on my driveway.
This stuff doesn't drip/make a mess on your driveway :)