Investing

How to purchase BLK US Equity Index Reg outside of Sunlife?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2021 7:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1524 posts
335 upvotes
Montreal

How to purchase BLK US Equity Index Reg outside of Sunlife?

I get paid a percentage of my salary as bonus in company shares
Only realized as the years were going by that I was carrying so much exposure because my portfolio was getting outweighed by company shares and the performance was a little dismal
I had the company shares changed into the best (only) way to track apple, amazon, facebook, tesla etc by repurchasing as BLK US Equity Index Reg as our company doesnt allow us to buy individual shares itself...only "products" that sunlife sells.
After this change the jump in performance was outstanding and I get a discount on the fees because of company discount
But im wondering how can i get this BLK US Equity Index Reg outside of sunlife..is there an etf that does same thing that i can get from questrade?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19938 posts
8041 upvotes
Toronto
gogoblender wrote: thanks!
Do you have ticker of fund you recommend?
first time buying fund myself
I like ZSP which is a BMO run ETF. It is not currency hedged. ZUE is the currency hedge ETF.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1524 posts
335 upvotes
Montreal
will888 wrote: I like ZSP which is a BMO run ETF. It is not currency hedged. ZUE is the currency hedge ETF.
Thank you!
I have two TFSA for myself, one at questrade and one at investors edge ... Is there a fund that mirrors BLK US Equity Index Reg I can get there?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1524 posts
335 upvotes
Montreal
didula wrote: ITOT etf does exactly what you want, also from BlackRock.
I just saw your post, and put the ticker into questrade and it work thanks! how do they make money..is there a charge that this fund removes every year? or is the price built into the fund price? Overall do you think this is good first investment for someone who wants access to American companies but wants a spread across variety companies? And how are the dividends paid out, at end of year in a distribution (Tangerine does this for me in a old rrsp i have) or every four months like regular shares of companies?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1530 posts
987 upvotes
Montreal
gogoblender wrote: I just saw your post, and put the ticker into questrade and it work thanks! how do they make money..is there a charge that this fund removes every year? or is the price built into the fund price? Overall do you think this is good first investment for someone who wants access to American companies but wants a spread across variety companies? And how are the dividends paid out, at end of year in a distribution (Tangerine does this for me in a old rrsp i have) or every four months like regular shares of companies?
If you look at the page link, you see the fee (called MER usually) is 0.03%. This is kept by the manager and is transparent to you (it reduces your return by 0.03% compared to holding the actual individual stock positions).

Dividends work exactly like a stock (since an ETF is a stock itself) if you look on the performance tab there is a distribution section where you see they are paid quarterly.

Every ETF has an information sheet like this to help you see how they work.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4470 posts
5246 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
gogoblender wrote: I just saw your post, and put the ticker into questrade and it work thanks! how do they make money..is there a charge that this fund removes every year? or is the price built into the fund price? Overall do you think this is good first investment for someone who wants access to American companies but wants a spread across variety companies? And how are the dividends paid out, at end of year in a distribution (Tangerine does this for me in a old rrsp i have) or every four months like regular shares of companies?
Keep in mind, if you buy ITOT, you have to pay in US$. This involves exchanging cash which costs a couple percent in spread or commission if doing Norbert's gambit.

For a beginner, a Canadian-listed maybe easier. VFV, XSP, VSP, HXS many options
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1524 posts
335 upvotes
Montreal
xgbsSS wrote:

For a beginner, a Canadian-listed maybe easier. VFV, XSP, VSP, HXS many options
ayuh im beginner with etf.. only bought actual stocks up to now...but want to move the stock out of sunlife and into a real trade account... i wanted to originally just sell it all and buy more amazon, tesla, etc...but i kind of like the idea of having some of my portfolio as a spread...thank you for your answer.
Is there one in particular that you just mentionnd that I can buy in CAD that will emulate the US ...specially tech?
Apr 16, 2020
121 posts
180 upvotes
gogoblender wrote: ayuh im beginner with etf.. only bought actual stocks up to now...but want to move the stock out of sunlife and into a real trade account... i wanted to originally just sell it all and buy more amazon, tesla, etc...but i kind of like the idea of having some of my portfolio as a spread...thank you for your answer.
Is there one in particular that you just mentionnd that I can buy in CAD that will emulate the US ...specially tech?
TEC.TO may be of interest to you.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19938 posts
8041 upvotes
Toronto
gogoblender wrote: ayuh im beginner with etf.. only bought actual stocks up to now...but want to move the stock out of sunlife and into a real trade account... i wanted to originally just sell it all and buy more amazon, tesla, etc...but i kind of like the idea of having some of my portfolio as a spread...thank you for your answer.
How about ZQQ which is the Nasdaq 100 in Canadian dollars, currency hedged.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1524 posts
335 upvotes
Montreal
will888 wrote: How about ZQQ which is the Nasdaq 100 in Canadian dollars, currency hedged.
I like this !~
Smiling Face With Open Mouth