Investing

How to purchase BLK US Equity Index Reg outside of Sunlife?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2022 7:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1789 posts
485 upvotes
Montreal

How to purchase BLK US Equity Index Reg outside of Sunlife?

I get paid a percentage of my salary as bonus in company shares
Only realized as the years were going by that I was carrying so much exposure because my portfolio was getting outweighed by company shares and the performance was a little dismal
I had the company shares changed into the best (only) way to track apple, amazon, facebook, tesla etc by repurchasing as BLK US Equity Index Reg as our company doesnt allow us to buy individual shares itself...only "products" that sunlife sells.
After this change the jump in performance was outstanding and I get a discount on the fees because of company discount
But im wondering how can i get this BLK US Equity Index Reg outside of sunlife..is there an etf that does same thing that i can get from questrade?
27 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
24034 posts
13343 upvotes
Toronto
gogoblender wrote: thanks!
Do you have ticker of fund you recommend?
first time buying fund myself
I like ZSP which is a BMO run ETF. It is not currency hedged. ZUE is the currency hedge ETF.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1789 posts
485 upvotes
Montreal
will888 wrote: I like ZSP which is a BMO run ETF. It is not currency hedged. ZUE is the currency hedge ETF.
Thank you!
I have two TFSA for myself, one at questrade and one at investors edge ... Is there a fund that mirrors BLK US Equity Index Reg I can get there?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1789 posts
485 upvotes
Montreal
didula wrote: ITOT etf does exactly what you want, also from BlackRock.
I just saw your post, and put the ticker into questrade and it work thanks! how do they make money..is there a charge that this fund removes every year? or is the price built into the fund price? Overall do you think this is good first investment for someone who wants access to American companies but wants a spread across variety companies? And how are the dividends paid out, at end of year in a distribution (Tangerine does this for me in a old rrsp i have) or every four months like regular shares of companies?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2222 posts
2209 upvotes
Montréal
gogoblender wrote: I just saw your post, and put the ticker into questrade and it work thanks! how do they make money..is there a charge that this fund removes every year? or is the price built into the fund price? Overall do you think this is good first investment for someone who wants access to American companies but wants a spread across variety companies? And how are the dividends paid out, at end of year in a distribution (Tangerine does this for me in a old rrsp i have) or every four months like regular shares of companies?
If you look at the page link, you see the fee (called MER usually) is 0.03%. This is kept by the manager and is transparent to you (it reduces your return by 0.03% compared to holding the actual individual stock positions).

Dividends work exactly like a stock (since an ETF is a stock itself) if you look on the performance tab there is a distribution section where you see they are paid quarterly.

Every ETF has an information sheet like this to help you see how they work.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5254 posts
6832 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
gogoblender wrote: I just saw your post, and put the ticker into questrade and it work thanks! how do they make money..is there a charge that this fund removes every year? or is the price built into the fund price? Overall do you think this is good first investment for someone who wants access to American companies but wants a spread across variety companies? And how are the dividends paid out, at end of year in a distribution (Tangerine does this for me in a old rrsp i have) or every four months like regular shares of companies?
Keep in mind, if you buy ITOT, you have to pay in US$. This involves exchanging cash which costs a couple percent in spread or commission if doing Norbert's gambit.

For a beginner, a Canadian-listed maybe easier. VFV, XSP, VSP, HXS many options
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $7000/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1789 posts
485 upvotes
Montreal
xgbsSS wrote:

ayuh im beginner with etf.. only bought actual stocks up to now...but want to move the stock out of sunlife and into a real trade account... i wanted to originally just sell it all and buy more amazon, tesla, etc...but i kind of like the idea of having some of my portfolio as a spread...thank you for your answer.
Is there one in particular that you just mentionnd that I can buy in CAD that will emulate the US ...specially tech?
Apr 16, 2020
129 posts
186 upvotes
gogoblender wrote: ayuh im beginner with etf.. only bought actual stocks up to now...but want to move the stock out of sunlife and into a real trade account... i wanted to originally just sell it all and buy more amazon, tesla, etc...but i kind of like the idea of having some of my portfolio as a spread...thank you for your answer.
Is there one in particular that you just mentionnd that I can buy in CAD that will emulate the US ...specially tech?
TEC.TO may be of interest to you.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
24034 posts
13343 upvotes
Toronto
gogoblender wrote: ayuh im beginner with etf.. only bought actual stocks up to now...but want to move the stock out of sunlife and into a real trade account... i wanted to originally just sell it all and buy more amazon, tesla, etc...but i kind of like the idea of having some of my portfolio as a spread...thank you for your answer.
How about ZQQ which is the Nasdaq 100 in Canadian dollars, currency hedged.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1789 posts
485 upvotes
Montreal
will888 wrote: How about ZQQ which is the Nasdaq 100 in Canadian dollars, currency hedged.
I like this !~
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1525 upvotes
Curious what your fee is for this fund. My company has a 1.18% fee on this product... which to me is ludicrous... considering it's just an index fund.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1789 posts
485 upvotes
Montreal
xgbsSS wrote: Keep in mind, if you buy ITOT, you have to pay in US$. This involves exchanging cash which costs a couple percent in spread or commission if doing Norbert's gambit.

forgot about this topic
picked up VFV during this last "crash" at yummy prices and am planning on now just collecting... easy and all in one
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5254 posts
6832 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
gogoblender wrote: forgot about this topic
picked up VFV during this last "crash" at yummy prices and am planning on now just collecting... easy and all in one
Perfect! If you want, you can do ITOT but VFV is simple and good enough!

If you wanted the entire US market (not just the largest 500 companies like S&P500), VUN or XUU will also be appropriate.

Personally, I would rather hold more than just US and diversify and have Canada and International, but your choice

Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5254 posts
6832 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
atomiton wrote: Curious what your fee is for this fund. My company has a 1.18% fee on this product... which to me is ludicrous... considering it's just an index fund.
It will depend on the company's plan package. If your employer cheaped out, then the fees tend to be higher. Part of the reason why it isn't close to an actual index fund pricing is the fact these are segregated funds so have built in insurance as well. I've seen Sunlife plans in the 0.3~0.4% range for index. At my old job at the grocery store, it was near 2% :(

Sometimes active funds are very much subsidized as well.

Eg. While there are never guarantees, Fiera US Equity is a very well managed US equity fund that is often available in DCPP plans
https://www.fieracapital.com/en/strategies/us-equity

Check the performance over S&P500. This fund almost consistently beats the S&P500 2-3% a year. The only problem with this fund is that this performance is before MER. So if you are paying for this fund in a segregated fund on your own at 4%, absolutely not worth it. But if you are invested through your benefits, I've seen it cheaper than 1% in some plans, and it could very well be worth it.

Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1525 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: It will depend on the company's plan package. If your employer cheaped out, then the fees tend to be higher. Part of the reason why it isn't close to an actual index fund pricing is the fact these are segregated funds so have built in insurance as well. I've seen Sunlife plans in the 0.3~0.4% range for index. At my old job at the grocery store, it was near 2% :(

Eg. While there are never guarantees, Fiera US Equity is a very well managed US equity fund that is often available in DCPP plans

Check the performance over S&P500. This fund almost consistently beats the S&P500 2-3% a year. The only problem with this fund is that this performance is before MER. So if you are paying for this fund in a segregated fund on your own at 4%, absolutely not worth it. But if you are invested through your benefits, I've seen it cheaper than 1% in some plans, and it could very well be worth it.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the actual choices are pretty limited to generic Sunlife stuff.
  • BLK Bond Index Fund 1.18%
  • BLK EAFE Equity Index 1.3%
  • SL Granite 2060 Fund
  • SL Dynamic Strat Yield
  • BG Fundamental Cdn Equity
  • TDAM Cdn Core Plus Bond
  • SL Granite 2020 Fund
  • SL Granite 2025 Fund
  • SL Granite 2030 Fund
  • SL Granite 2035 Fund
  • SL Granite 2040 Fund
  • SL Granite 2045 Fund
  • SL Granite 2050 Fund
  • Lazard Glb Infrastructure 1.98%
  • SL MFS U.S. Equity Fund
  • SLF Money Market
  • CC&L Group Cdn Q Growth
  • SL Granite 2055 Fund
  • MFS Intl Equity
  • PH&N Bond Fund
  • TDAM Low Vol Global Eq
  • SL Granite Conservative
  • SL Granite Moderate
  • SL Granite Balanced
  • SL Granite Growth
  • SL Granite Aggressive
  • SL Granite Retirement Fd
  • BLK US Equity Index Reg 1.18%
Ranging in fee structure from 1.18% to 1.98%
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5254 posts
6832 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
atomiton wrote: Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the actual choices are pretty limited to generic Sunlife stuff.
  • BLK Bond Index Fund 1.18%
  • BLK EAFE Equity Index 1.3%
  • SL Granite 2060 Fund
  • SL Dynamic Strat Yield
  • BG Fundamental Cdn Equity
  • TDAM Cdn Core Plus Bond
  • SL Granite 2020 Fund
  • SL Granite 2025 Fund
  • SL Granite 2030 Fund
  • SL Granite 2035 Fund
  • SL Granite 2040 Fund
  • SL Granite 2045 Fund
  • SL Granite 2050 Fund
  • Lazard Glb Infrastructure 1.98%
  • SL MFS U.S. Equity Fund
  • SLF Money Market
  • CC&L Group Cdn Q Growth
  • SL Granite 2055 Fund
  • MFS Intl Equity
  • PH&N Bond Fund
  • TDAM Low Vol Global Eq
  • SL Granite Conservative
  • SL Granite Moderate
  • SL Granite Balanced
  • SL Granite Growth
  • SL Granite Aggressive
  • SL Granite Retirement Fd
  • BLK US Equity Index Reg 1.18%
Ranging in fee structure from 1.18% to 1.98%
One thing to keep in mind, most of these are actually not "Sunlife" funds. For example, MFS is actually a separate investment firm. They run MFS US equity separately. It's just Sunlife is using that as the base to apply the segregated part of the fund (insurance part). As an example, Desjardins also offers MFS US Equity

https://www.vitrinedesjardinsconseiller ... s_0246.pdf

So what I do is look at the base fund. The base fund may apply it's own MER. The MER you are charged is the base fund MER plus whatever your sponsored plan charges. When I get a chance, I'll take a dive into what you have.

And because each employer plan is sponsored differently, getting clear performance numbers and answers is very difficult.

Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
10728 posts
4730 upvotes
Mississauga
xgbsSS wrote: It will depend on the company's plan package. If your employer cheaped out, then the fees tend to be higher. Part of the reason why it isn't close to an actual index fund pricing is the fact these are segregated funds so have built in insurance as well. I've seen Sunlife plans in the 0.3~0.4% range for index. At my old job at the grocery store, it was near 2% :(

I literally have this Fiera Global Equity and OPs BLK US Equity on a 50/50 split for the work contributions.

The Fiera Global is 19+% annualized return on a 10-year basis. Shorter term is higher return, unsurprisingly.