Computers & Electronics

how is quality of canada computer build your own desktop?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2015 4:13 am
Tags:
None
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5419 posts
2666 upvotes
more often or not, you'll find a better deal if you pick (and pricematch) your parts separately with NCIX and then pay $50 to have them assemble it.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
The cost of parts is pretty much the same everywhere, it is the workmanship in assembling it that makes the difference !
It takes a lot amount time and thought to have the wiring and cables tucked neatly out of sight so there is better airflow, using the proper screws and fasteners etc...
I have seen to many lousy jobs by so called custom built PC shops !

A proper higher end assembly job:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kXurW.jpg[/IMG]

A typical lousy smack together assembly to get your $50 job:
[IMG]http://www.chookfest.net/computers/img/ ... l-guts.jpg[/IMG]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2762 posts
415 upvotes
Mississauga
wah nice
will cc have this kind of service?

about their game system
Cavalier IGC-III Gaming System vs Cavalier IGC-IV Gaming System
should the Cavalier IGC-IV Gaming System are more expnesive, since its the 4 vs 3? cuz they use the 4th generation of cpu?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1775 posts
274 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: The cost of parts is pretty much the same everywhere, it is the workmanship in assembling it that makes the difference !
It takes a lot amount time and thought to have the wiring and cables tucked neatly out of sight so there is better airflow, using the proper screws and fasteners etc...

lol to be fair the top one is modern case/hardware with proper wiring management system and the 2nd image is super ancient system with IDE cabling and is that ISA ports I'm seeing ?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
720 upvotes
Without the ide cabling, I would say one would be hard pressed to see any temperature differences even if the cables were placed behind the mobo, which isn't possible here because the chasis doesn't allow it.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
killer007 wrote: wah nice
will cc have this kind of service?

about their game system
Cavalier IGC-III Gaming System vs Cavalier IGC-IV Gaming System
should the Cavalier IGC-IV Gaming System are more expnesive, since its the 4 vs 3? cuz they use the 4th generation of cpu?
No, 99% of local places will provide you with the lousy smack together jobs. You will see tie wraps, elastics, tape and a bunch of amateurish workmanship.
Most stores hire kids from off the streets to assemble their PCs, they get paid by the number of systems they assemble, so the eye to detail is an after thought.

Most of the PCs in a box like Dell, HP and Acer are pretty neat because they were designed for easy assembly on a moving production line.

It is best you assemble your own PC or dish out big time cash for a system built by Falcon Northwest for a cool $4,395usd !
[IMG]http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u127998/ ... tsfull.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: The cost of parts is pretty much the same everywhere, it is the workmanship in assembling it that makes the difference !

"workmanship". LMAO. Almost anyone can put a computer together and make it look that clean if they have that type of case and a modular PSU.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15147 posts
1538 upvotes
Markham

Come on.. That's hardly a fair comparison

OP, the quality of your build will have more to do with the tech putting it together than the store name
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
Canada Computers is great imo.

I had them build my desktop for $75 ... they said it would include 1 year parts and labour warranty in-store for that price, so i figured why not.

I will upload pics of the build / cable management, needless to say I am more then impressed. Thermal paste was obviously applied well as my cpu idles 23-27*C ... no hiccups what-so-ever with system, they also diagnosed it for me on the spot without making me sign the computer in when i had a weird fan noise (couldnt replicate in store, turned out it was just a slanted desk at home causing fan to wobble a little) a week after i got it home for free no questions asked.

This was the brampton location, taller white tech who built it, short hair, cool dude!

BTW -> NCIX refused to give me warranty because i purchased the items on seperate reciepts (even though 6 / 8 items were from 1 reciept @ ncix, the 7th from a seperate ncix purchase, and ssd sealed new but from amazon)... They also wanted a 2 week turnaround and $100 vs CC @ $75 and 3 day turnaround (3 days with new years eve inbetween!!).
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2674 posts
1388 upvotes
Toronto
killer007 wrote: how is quality of canada computer build your own desktop?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/system_c ... age=gaming

they let you to choose but is it always not good quality choice? I don't know much about computer units
it's an easy choice given that all the parts are chosen and it'll be built but keep in mind that it's fairly easy to pick out what you want with the excellent site ca partspicker.com. Lastly, I can't comment on CC's workmanship or how it's done but I can say it's fairly easy to put it all together. It's essentially like lego. If you pick a case that has gromit holes and straps like the one I got (enthoo pro by phanteks) then it'll be a breeze. Keep in mind I'm a first time builder.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
dealo'day wrote: it's an easy choice given that all the parts are chosen and it'll be built but keep in mind that it's fairly easy to pick out what you want with the excellent site ca partspicker.com. Lastly, I can't comment on CC's workmanship or how it's done but I can say it's fairly easy to put it all together. It's essentially like lego. If you pick a case that has gromit holes and straps like the one I got (enthoo pro by phanteks) then it'll be a breeze. Keep in mind I'm a first time builder.
i would say the same, but for me getting the hyper212 evo cpu cooler i was a little hesitant to install that and paste it up, so i went with install.

if you are going stock cpu cooler and get a good case, installation is easy.

also +1 for ca.partpicker.com ... learn to use it, setup filters if you can only buy at certain locations to determine what will be available part wise, then once you have a completed build remove the filters to get the absolute lowest canadian price and go pricematch everything instore or online as a bundle... you will save a bunch :)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
LEXX911 wrote: "workmanship". LMAO. Almost anyone can put a computer together and make it look that clean if they have that type of case and a modular PSU.
+1
rageking wrote: Without the ide cabling, I would say one would be hard pressed to see any temperature differences even if the cables were placed behind the mobo, which isn't possible here because the chasis doesn't allow it.
+1

On top of that, I wager $20 to anyone who can mess with the cables in a computer and prove that the temperature increased ( as long as the cables are not physically stopping a fan and the other components are not removed ( CPU not reseated etc ).)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9409 posts
2358 upvotes
London
Supahhh wrote: +1

+1

On top of that, I wager $20 to anyone who can mess with the cables in a computer and prove that the temperature increased ( as long as the cables are not physically stopping a fan and the other components are not removed ( CPU not reseated etc ).)
+1
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1054 upvotes
A small town north o…
AzureD wrote: lol to be fair the top one is modern case/hardware with proper wiring management system and the 2nd image is super ancient system with IDE cabling and is that ISA ports I'm seeing ?
Is that a dual Slot 1 setup? AGP graphics? LAN card and sound card? EEPROM BIOS?

Ha ha,those were the days! Nice case, though, with the rolled edges. In those days, AOpen made cases like that, I still have one up at the cottage. :)
Mar 6, 2012
773 posts
257 upvotes
makaturing wrote: Is that a dual Slot 1 setup? AGP graphics? LAN card and sound card? EEPROM BIOS?

Ha ha,those were the days! Nice case, though, with the rolled edges. In those days, AOpen made cases like that, I still have one up at the cottage. :)
Yeah, if I remember correctly thos cartridge type CPUs are old Pentium 3 (or at least of that time frame).
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10995 posts
4404 upvotes
I configured a built similar to what I bought a year ago from Staples, an Acer i7-4770, and it came out to almost 3x the amount what I paid, last year :-0
The only thing is the CC built has a 2GB GTX 770. Still, almost 3x the price, and that's without even the OS. Ouch
Jul 1, 2009
711 posts
133 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: I configured a built similar to what I bought a year ago from Staples, an Acer i7-4770, and it came out to almost 3x the amount what I paid, last year :-0
The only thing is the CC built has a 2GB GTX 770. Still, almost 3x the price, and that's without even the OS. Ouch
That's because you're not exactly comparing the same things. Pre-built systems get their OS for dirt cheap (something like $20 a license), use generic parts (also often don't configure their memory properly at all), and their PSU is questionable at best. That's why they are almost always cheaper on sale. Will it work? Of course. But will it last is a different question.

Also the 770 is like $300 brand new, so that's not saying much...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6074 posts
1484 upvotes
GTA
You need to understand $75 is barely enough money for the time to even do a lousy job properly. These type of assembly services are more like detailed unboxer.

CC did mine, they are ok. Though I keep hearing noises and finding wrong or missing screws..little stuff. For all the time I spent redoing it I might as well bank the $75, do it properly myself and still keep all the boxes

There was a store that did one of my box cheaped out to the point even skipped the copper support pillars. I discovered years later when I was swapping the case, that the board effectively deformed into hyperbolic shape. Who is to blame? me, because I asked him for the best deal ever, so he had to cheap out.

A true high quality assembly services should give you a booklet of their own service manuals and what parts you have, a test report, plus the name and phone number of the person who built your machine.