Cell Phones

How to recover phone numbers from old sim card?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2015 6:13 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
430 posts
13 upvotes

How to recover phone numbers from old sim card?

I used a Galaxy Note 2 but it died a few days ago without warning so I couldn't backup anything from the phone. I bought a Galaxy S6 to replace it but it uses a smaller nano sim card.

Is it possible for me to recover the contacts and conversion I saved on the old sim card and transfer them to my new phone?
10 replies
Oct 29, 2008
596 posts
281 upvotes
L4J
Cut the sim or use an another phone to recover
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
212 upvotes
Elisa.woods wrote: I used a Galaxy Note 2 but it died a few days ago without warning so I couldn't backup anything from the phone. I bought a Galaxy S6 to replace it but it uses a smaller nano sim card.

Is it possible for me to recover the contacts and conversion I saved on the old sim card and transfer them to my new phone?
every phone/sim has contacts exports to a file function. It will be export to/from Sim to Sim/SD/phone card
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2067 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
cutting a micro sim to nano sim is not a good idea, as the nano sims are thinner than the micro sims, so their slots are thinner, then your cut nano sim may get stuck in there.

Did you not connect your contact list to your google account? Then its just a matter of sync your new s6 to your google account.
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
34 upvotes
Elisa.woods wrote: How do I cut the sim, is it safe?
If you are worried, just spend that $5 or $10 to buy a nano SIM from your provider, and they can even transfer the contacts etc to the new SIM card. I personally would just buy a nano SIM from Telus/Rogers/Bell etc
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
430 posts
13 upvotes
lenkov wrote: If you are worried, just spend that $5 or $10 to buy a nano SIM from your provider, and they can even transfer the contacts etc to the new SIM card. I personally would just buy a nano SIM from Telus/Rogers/Bell etc
My new phone (also from Rogers) comes with the new sim card. Can I ask them to transfer the contacts for me?
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
430 posts
13 upvotes
I talked to a technician at Rogers today. He told me all my contacts are saved on the phone and there is nothing on the sim card.
Since my phone is dead, are my contacts gone forever?
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13853 posts
3022 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
You've look at your Gmail account already, and no contacts there?
http://mail.google.com

Have you tried turning on the phone when plugged in? Maybe it's just a dead battery.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5876 posts
3881 upvotes
Elisa.woods wrote: I talked to a technician at Rogers today. He told me all my contacts are saved on the phone and there is nothing on the sim card.
Since my phone is dead, are my contacts gone forever?
It depends on where they were saved. Could be on the phone, SIM card, Google account, Samsung account, or some other online service. Check the SIM, your accounts, and if they're not there, then they were saved on the phone and are gone now.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
430 posts
13 upvotes
sandeeS wrote: every phone/sim has contacts exports to a file function. It will be export to/from Sim to Sim/SD/phone card
I have cut my sim card and it fits on the S6.
But in the contacts settings I only have:

1: Import vCard files from my storage to my device
2: Export contacts from my device to vCard files.

I tried both and found that I export contacts to sim by option 2, but option 1 only allows me to import from vCard file which I don't have.
How?