• May 1st, 2020 8:41 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1800 posts
374 upvotes

How to recover zipped files windows 10

So I downloaded some Icloud photos. They are in zipped state. I tried to move them over to a folder on my computer. It was lagging out so I canceled.

I see one photo has moved over. The rest are still stuck in the old zipped folder. According to the size of the folder. But the problem is I cannot open it right now. When I try it says: access to the compressed zipped folder is denied.

Long story short I'm an idiot and deleted my photos on Icloud before I did this. Anyway I can recover these photos?
Zoomer wireless $36/month: 5GB data + 800 minutes
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1228 posts
696 upvotes
mississauga
are you sure they're deleted in icloud, i just tried to empty my iphone and had to do a 2-step, first i deleted the photos then i emptied the deleted folder then regained the space on the phone
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1800 posts
374 upvotes
I did it on the computer so yea it's gone haha
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
One big thing I've learned over the years, never try and move something out of a zip it's deadly slow. Copy from a zip then delete the zip.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have trouble accessing a file, move it to the Windows Temp directory. That often bypasses the Windows bug where it thinks the system administrator doesn't have permission to access a file. Of course you should also reboot in case it thinks the file is temporarily locked for access, which happens when a program using the file didn't shut down properly.

Also try some better 3rd-party unzip utilities like 7zip.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Log into Windows as a member of the Administators group, right click on the file --> Properties --> Security --> Advanced --> Owner. Modify the owner / take ownership.

p.s. You're using the "recover" term incorrectly given your sitation.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
chatbox wrote: Log into Windows as a member of the Administators group, right click on the file --> Properties --> Security --> Advanced --> Owner. Modify the owner / take ownership.
That has never worked for me, not once in all the many times I've tried to do it that way. It's a very poorly implemented feature in Windows.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: If you have trouble accessing a file, move it to the Windows Temp directory. That often bypasses the Windows bug where it thinks the system administrator doesn't have permission to access a file. Of course you should also reboot in case it thinks the file is temporarily locked for access, which happens when a program using the file didn't shut down properly.

Also try some better 3rd-party unzip utilities like 7zip.
Scote64 wrote: That has never worked for me, not once in all the many times I've tried to do it that way. It's a very poorly implemented feature in Windows.
It has always worked for me.

So many things to criticize if I need to about your first post. (but I decided not to).
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
3173 posts
2244 upvotes
Winnipeg
syntex101 wrote: Long story short I'm an idiot and deleted my photos on Icloud before I did this. Anyway I can recover these photos?
Ask Apple to undelete?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1800 posts
374 upvotes
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: Ask Apple to undelete?
I looked into it - there is an option to recover files and photos for up to 40 days. But I guess it is for if you deleted from your phone. I deleted on the desktop website and nothing populates when I click the recover photos option.