• Jan 17th, 2019 12:27 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3122 posts
649 upvotes

How to reduce lint in clothing?

I've started to hang dry instead of using the dryer and notice theres a lot of hair and lint that is stuck on the clothes. Is there an easy way to get rid of them?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9050 posts
380 upvotes
Mississauga
lint roller.
RFD 36-0-0
Ebay 31-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12008 posts
1762 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Linty items (eg. towels, polyester fleece) should be washed with similar linty items and then go in the dryer.
Human hair should be removed before going into the washing machine.
Non-linty items like polyester workout clothes rarely produce lint, so wash those together.
Use a lint brush on hang-dry cottons.
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3122 posts
649 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 5:19 pm
Linty items (eg. towels, polyester fleece) should be washed with similar linty items and then go in the dryer.
Human hair should be removed before going into the washing machine.
Non-linty items like polyester workout clothes rarely produce lint, so wash those together.
Use a lint brush on hang-dry cottons.
I realize that drying them in the dryer removes a lot of lint but I'm trying to minimize its use. I guess I have no choice for linty items?
Jul 22, 2017
185 posts
106 upvotes
Pingu in the city
Use small/medium size laundry bags for your lint-attractive clothings during washing.

It prevents problematic clothes' lints getting onto the good clothes and keep their own lints, also less chance of clothes stretching during the spin cycle (stretching = breaking the texture of clothes = more lints coming out). Make sure the laundry bags are the good quality ones that have smooth mesh with hidden zipper so that it won't scratch your clothes.

Also wash the dark/light clothes separately.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot | %
Current V60 recipes : Tetsu Kasuya's 4:6 & Chad Wang's
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3122 posts
649 upvotes
PenguinRei wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 5:18 am
Use small/medium size laundry bags for your lint-attractive clothings during washing.

It prevents problematic clothes' lints getting onto the good clothes and keep their own lints, also less chance of clothes stretching during the spin cycle (stretching = breaking the texture of clothes = more lints coming out). Make sure the laundry bags are the good quality ones that have smooth mesh with hidden zipper so that it won't scratch your clothes.

Also wash the dark/light clothes separately.
Thank you. Is there a brand of laundry bags that you recommend? I've tried the ones that were made in china and korea and they fell apart after one wash! I find the weak point is the zipper.

Of all things things equal, if it's a nonlinty item like spandex, would washing it get rid of fibers and lint? I have a few pair of pants that are ruined by washing it with my bfs' cottons.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1610 posts
344 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:51 pm
Thank you. Is there a brand of laundry bags that you recommend? I've tried the ones that were made in china and korea and they fell apart after one wash! I find the weak point is the zipper.

Of all things things equal, if it's a nonlinty item like spandex, would washing it get rid of fibers and lint? I have a few pair of pants that are ruined by washing it with my bfs' cottons.
I've found my China/Korea laundry bags (and they were cheap!) are relatively long lasting. I think you just have to pick out the ones that are just sewn together well.
Jul 22, 2017
185 posts
106 upvotes
Pingu in the city
vivibaby wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:51 pm

I'm currently using UdiLife (Taiwanese brand, but I forget where I brought it from. Might be T&T) and Daiso double layer mesh & cylinder shaped version.
There are probably other brands does the job well too. But then it's difficult to recommend with single brand because even UdiLife and Daiso have some laundry bags that are not too good.

Here are some points that I found to be quite important while picking laundry bags.
Image (Good one)
Two stitching fabrics covering the zipper lining and zipper hide almost entirely. The tab is entirely smooth, not the cheap metal ones that would scratch/rust/paint-falling like the following ones:
Image (Bad one)
It's only half way hidden so sometimes it will fall out and scratch everything.

Also, try not to put in too much clothes into one bag. Clothes need a little bit of space to move around so that the tiny dust will be able to rinse out. And if there's too many clothes in one bag, the heavy weight will break the bag as well as the washer.

>Spandex
Very difficult. You could try use tape to stick them out but it will be a lot of work.

Yeah. Hope this helps.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot | %
Current V60 recipes : Tetsu Kasuya's 4:6 & Chad Wang's

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)