how to remove oil stain on my kitchen ceiling

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2021 7:44 am
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes

how to remove oil stain on my kitchen ceiling

as I don't have a rangehood vent, there is a large area of oil stains on my kitchen ceiling. How to remove oil stains from kitchen ceiling?

Will bleach work?
World cup is coming
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5958 posts
2745 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Bleach is not an oil solvent.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2018
1479 posts
1584 upvotes
GTA
I don't think you will have any luck cleaning that to an extent that it's not noticeable. Probably best to repaint the ceiling if you want it to look new.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5958 posts
2745 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
ilovetoyota wrote: Any suggestion?
Depending on how much oil, try vinegar mixed 50 / 50 with water and clean rags. Also check out the capabilities of TSP it's used as an all purpose paint cleaner.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Spray Nine does a great job on oily residue. However, if the ceiling is white matte latex paint, you won't get the stains out, and you'll need to repaint with a stain blocking paint like BIN.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1860 posts
511 upvotes
Try TSP. I use it to get dried wallpaper glue off with it. You may still have to paint afterwards to get rid of the stains. I don't think you can paint over grease/oil so you'd need to clean it anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5009 upvotes
Toronto
As others have suggested, TSP is the standard when cleaning painted walls. You mix it with water as per instructions on the box, but if it's really bad, you would use a higher concentration than usual.

With no rangehood, you probably have a thin layer of grease over all your cabinets and walls, just not as noticeable as the stains directly over your stove, so plan some time to wipe down the entire kitchen.