• Aug 24th, 2019 12:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5418 posts
1031 upvotes
Montreal

How to Remove Old Drive from HP Desktop

I upgraded the hard drive in my friend's computer but was unable to remove the old drive. At the moment, the new drive is sitting on top of the old one and isn't screwed in.

I could not figure out how to remove the old drive. Sliding it to the left doesn't work and sliding it to the right encounters obstructions. Does anyone have experience with this case?
It's a mystery to me. The photo says "Your Hard Drive" because it's a photo I sent to the owner asking if he knew how to remove the drive.

Norm PC.jpg
Last edited by Phils on Aug 24th, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phils
30 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11491 upvotes
Could come out from the front.
I've had a few machines where you had to remove the front panel.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
2008 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
what is the exact model of the PC?

All Dell desktops i own are tooless.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2242 posts
1140 upvotes
Winnipeg
Guessing the back. just have to lift up the front and push down on the back.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5418 posts
1031 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote: Could come out from the front.
I've had a few machines where you had to remove the front panel.
Tried that. Didn't work in this case. (pardon the pun)
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: Guessing the back. just have to lift up the front and push down on the back.
I'll give it a shot today.

It isn't my PC so I don't have model number. However, it's an HP with an AMD processor. It says "Vision on the front". Inside, there is tons of space for peripherals and enough power connections to run a city.
Phils
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19304 posts
974 upvotes
What kind of "obstructions" are you encountering ?

Now I know why it's so difficult to get it out coz that bay is not even originally for HDD. It was a floppy drive (or those HP mobile HDD) bay where the drive was supposed to be installed from the front ... Can you slowly slide it out from the front ?

This case should have a separate HDD drive cage ...

Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1949 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto
Open the case from the other side. Maybe there is a screw on the other side. Harddrives and DVD-Rom drives have screws on both sides and it's not uncommon to put 1 screw in on the other side.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Apr 4, 2012
254 posts
132 upvotes
Laval, Que
In my old HP desktop, there was a tab at the base of the hard drive enclosure you had to push to free the hardrive caddy
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5418 posts
1031 upvotes
Montreal
Well I tried manipulating the two levers and it seemed meaningless.

@willy,
I watched the video. That case is similar but it's not the same as the one posted in the OP. In that video, there's a separate enclosure for the hard drive. I'm pretty sure the old drive is installed where it's supposed to be.
I tried to get the drive out from the front first. It slides easily but there's a metal wall at the front of the hard drive enclosure that blocks it.

@gophia,
I'll take another look but I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything there on this one.

@ds2chan,
I couldn't find a screw on the other side.
Phils
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1949 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto
Phils wrote: Well I tried manipulating the two levers and it seemed meaningless.

@willy,
I watched the video. That case is similar but it's not the same as the one posted in the OP. In that video, there's a separate enclosure for the hard drive. I'm pretty sure the old drive is installed where it's supposed to be.
I tried to get the drive out from the front first. It slides easily but there's a metal wall at the front of the hard drive enclosure that blocks it.

@gophia,
I'll take another look but I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything there on this one.

@ds2chan,
I couldn't find a screw on the other side.
Do you think that metal mesh wall is removable? I have seen a case where there's a metal mesh there in the 5.25" bays but you have to twist them around to remove them. Since the HD is in the right slot I'm not holding my breath on this suggestion but just a thought.

I feel like there is just a little piece of metal holding the drive in place. It might be where one of the screw holes are on the HD. Take a look around and really concentrate on each area where there is a screw hole on the HD. Maybe you'll notice something. If not, then I saw leave it as is. It's probably not worth your time. Just screw the new HD in place and call it a day.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5418 posts
1031 upvotes
Montreal
It's really not worth my time in the sense that it's an 80GB drive with a lot of problems. It's just that the owner asked if he could get it back and it's a challenge and I feel like I should persevere.
Phils
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2242 posts
1140 upvotes
Winnipeg
Phils wrote: It's really not worth my time in the sense that it's an 80GB drive with a lot of problems. It's just that the owner asked if he could get it back and it's a challenge and I feel like I should persevere.
Back up files to USB. nuke it and disconnect the cables to it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5418 posts
1031 upvotes
Montreal
@mr_raider,
Sounds like a plan.

@FrostyWinnipeg,
Not a concern. Data had been harvested months ago by someone else. The cables were disconnected when I installed the new hard drive.
All I want to do is get the hardware out of there.
My friend would like to get his drive back but realistically, I don't know what he will ever do with it.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7196 posts
2117 upvotes
Maple
Phils wrote: The cables were disconnected when I installed the new hard drive.
All I want to do is get the hardware out of there.
My friend would like to get his drive back but realistically, I don't know what he will ever do with it.
If new drive is installed, is it working/running?
Is there any problem leaving the old drive there? It is worthless. Why waste time?