How to Remove Old Drive from HP Desktop

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2019 12:42 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2553 posts
1791 upvotes
Oakville
Dma0691 wrote: OP The bracket on the right of the picture is for the Hard Drive, Move it to the Center and lift it out of it's place. That should free the original drive.
Those look like they are in the upper drive bays.

OP can take another picture from an angle. The lower 3.5 drive bay looks recessed from the upper 5.25 bays.

How is the lower bay attached to the upper bay?
Remove your new drive and see if the lower bay is held in place by sliding clip...in which case, try to move the lower cage right and see if the entire cage comes out before you can access the drive.

Think of the cage like how your case cover slides on..maybe a set screw to keep it from sliding off as well.
Aug 1, 2018
106 posts
72 upvotes
S/W, Ontario
cba123 wrote: Those look like they are in the upper drive bays.

OP can take another picture from an angle. The lower 3.5 drive bay looks recessed from the upper 5.25 bays.

How is the lower bay attached to the upper bay?
Remove your new drive and see if the lower bay is held in place by sliding clip...in which case, try to move the lower cage right and see if the entire cage comes out before you can access the drive.

Think of the cage like how your case cover slides on..maybe a set screw to keep it from sliding off as well.
There's 2 Sliders, the attachment you see ( the round part ) are just Rivets to pivot those Sliders Arms. There is a Pin that goes into the Screw hole to keep it in place.
Those Drives Slide out towards the inside of the case. OP said there's metal mesh on the front. Hope this helps.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
As far as I an tell, the lower bay is one piece with the upper bay but, who knows? maybe not.

I'll try again tomorrow and I'll take another photo tomorrow.

@Dma0691,
I'll also try what you suggest.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2553 posts
1791 upvotes
Oakville
the left slider locks the upper 5.25 bay an the right slider locks the lower 5.25 bay.
the old 3.5 drive the OP is referring to and trying to remove is the one in the 3.5 bay underneath the 2 5.25 bays
the new 3.5 drive is sitting loose in the lower 5.25 bay, and the right slider isnt going to hold that loose 3.5 drive that is 1.75 narrower than the 5.25 cage.

OP is you skip past 3:43 in the video, the guy spends the rest of the video to 8:30 trying to show how difficult it is to access the 3.5 drive bay.
the video shows removing two screws and pressing down on a tab with a symbol that looks like a 1 that he couldnt press down on easily nor show very well with the camera...he couldnt remove the 3.5 drive in the video either, and moved on to ram at 8:30
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
@jackrabbit000,
The case in the video seems to be missing the 3.5" bay where the old drive is sitting in my case. I'm going to check what happens if I remove the front of the case like in the video. I'm not sure the front will come off as the other (unopened) side is riveted.

@cba123,
It looks like I'm not alone.

@jackrabbit000,

If you check my photo in the first post, my drive isn't installed where his drive is. It's in the upper section.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
@FrostyWinnipeg,

The model number of the PC didn't answer anything for me.

00326-10000-00000-AA018

Edit: I'm pretty sure that's a Win 10 Product ID. I'll take another look.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
Folks,

I got it out and installed the new hard drive in its slot.

The trick was, indeed, to take off the front facade. Although there was a metal wall there, it was designed to be removed so that something that needed front access (like a floppy disk or SD card adapter) could be installed there. I broke off the wall, slid the old hard drive out, and slid the new hard drive in.

Actually took about 5 minutes to do.

Thanks everyone. Eventually, something clicked. Fortunately, it wasn't the new hard drive.
Last edited by Phils on Aug 24th, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phils
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
3172 posts
2243 upvotes
Winnipeg
Whew! I was about to suggest hammer and chisel next.