• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2021 3:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1363 posts
1479 upvotes

How to remove saddle valve on copper pipe

So prev house owner had a fridge which they tapped into the copper pipe going into the hot water tank with those saddle valves. How would I go about removing this? All the other lines are pex, and I've used shark bite to tape into the pex line to bring water to my new fridge. I didn't like the idea of use the saddle valve since the pipe was a little warm, so I wouldn't want warm water going up to my fridge line for cold water. But I basically want the saddle valve removed because I've heard of problems leaking.

Is it difficult to remove the saddle valve, and solder the hole? Obviously I don't have much plumbing experience so how much would something like this cost for a plumber to do? Any recommendations on a plumber in york region?

Thanks
6 replies
Jan 22, 2021
22 posts
11 upvotes
Don’t try to patch the hole.

If you want to stick to copper you’ll need to cut the section out and replace it with a new pipe and 2 couplings.

Assuming the damage is small you can possible just cut and replace the pipe with a shark bite coupling.

This isn’t a difficult job but you’ll be paying a plumber a good fee for travel and time.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1659 posts
1339 upvotes
simplypop wrote: So prev house owner had a fridge which they tapped into the copper pipe going into the hot water tank with those saddle valves. How would I go about removing this? All the other lines are pex, and I've used shark bite to tape into the pex line to bring water to my new fridge. I didn't like the idea of use the saddle valve since the pipe was a little warm, so I wouldn't want warm water going up to my fridge line for cold water. But I basically want the saddle valve removed because I've heard of problems leaking.

Is it difficult to remove the saddle valve, and solder the hole? Obviously I don't have much plumbing experience so how much would something like this cost for a plumber to do? Any recommendations on a plumber in york region?

Thanks
Put a cap on it. I did that for 10+ years and never had a single leak. See pics. Bought it at HD for less than a dollar. I don't know why people are so afraid of saddle valves. Never had one leaking.
Images
  • cap1.JPG
  • cap2.JPG
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1837 posts
1354 upvotes
GTA West
simplypop wrote: So prev house owner had a fridge which they tapped into the copper pipe going into the hot water tank with those saddle valves. How would I go about removing this? All the other lines are pex, and I've used shark bite to tape into the pex line to bring water to my new fridge. I didn't like the idea of use the saddle valve since the pipe was a little warm, so I wouldn't want warm water going up to my fridge line for cold water. But I basically want the saddle valve removed because I've heard of problems leaking.

Thanks
Use a tube cutter to remove a small slice of pipe with the needle hole. Rejoin the pipe with a 1/2" coupling. Less than a buck!

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/aqua-d ... 1000117461

Edit: You can also buy these couplings without a stop in the middle, so if you don't have room to pull the pipes apart longitudinally to get the pipe ends into the coupling, you can just slide the entire coupling onto one of the pipe ends and then slide it back over the other one.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Jan 27th, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11326 posts
2783 upvotes
Kingston
mickman wrote: This would be the easiest option, IMO. Cut a 1/2" section encasing the piercing from the saddle valve, and connect with one of these:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sharkb ... 1000791803
+1. If you wanted to retain the capability to add a waterline later use this fitting: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sharkb ... 1000860429
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4723 posts
1396 upvotes
0 downvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: Put a cap on it. I did that for 10+ years and never had a single leak. See pics. Bought it at HD for less than a dollar. I don't know why people are so afraid of saddle valves. Never had one leaking.
We disconnected my Father-in-law's old fridge which had a water dispensor on it. When we closed the saddle valve, it would not stop the water, which meant it was defective, this is why people are affraid of saddle valves, they crap out some times. We bought one of those caps you screw over it ,and it was suppose to work but it leaked.

APPARENTLY those little caps you buy are all metal, and your saddle valve has metal threading on it, its likely microscopic grooves in it where the water will leak. you need some kind of gasket to put inside the metal cap which it DOES NOT COME WITH. We found an old garden hose in the backyard and used an exacto nife and cut out a round part which fit perfectly inside the metal cap, we screwed it on the old saddle valve and it worked.

YOU CANT JUST CAP IT, it NEEDS some kind of washer and they dont even come with it, go figure, a cash grab if you ask me
Hi