• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 11:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4682 posts
3516 upvotes

How to remove website from Google search results

I have an email address I use when signing up for certain things that I don't associate with my real name (e.g. petitions, mailing lists, etc.). However, I just noticed that when I search for this email address in Google, the first and only result is my profile page created by my organization, WTF!? I'm not sur how Google managed to do that. When I search any other search engine, the result doesn't appear so I know this is a Google thing. My question is how do I break the connection between the email address and URL? I can't find any info on this.

I know someone is going to suggest so I want to make sure it's clear - the website does NOT contain this email address. In fact the website doesn't contain any email address - the contact info is a link to my LinkedIn profile.

I find this such a huge violation and overreach by Google - they're so sneaky.
17 replies
Apr 19, 2014
158 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
The only thing I can possibly suggest is register another domain name, and do a 302 redirect on original domain name.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33808 posts
7450 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hierophant wrote: I find this such a huge violation and overreach by Google - they're so sneaky.
I am not sure what the concern is. Let me get this right

You have a fake email address that you use for sign ups etc,

You did a search for that email and you found one result. Your LinkedIn page.
The LinkedIn page does not contain your fake email or any email, but google managed to find a connection between your LinkedIn account and your fake email address.

Correct?

You’re concerned that someone that already has your fake email and does a search will find that the Wizard behind the curtain is really you?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4682 posts
3516 upvotes
ThiruIO wrote: Including this portion of the page?
https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... _permanent
Nope because there's nothing wrong with the page - nothing to edit or remove (and it's not one that's owned or controlled by me). My issue is that it's associating a personal email address with the company webpage even though there is no connection. There's just no reason for Google to do this. I just don't know what's causing it in order to break the linkage so if I search my email address, that webpage doesn't appear.
Apr 19, 2014
158 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
In a haste I didn’t read the original post correctly.

This email address you’re using, does it have your name attached to it Or when you’ve used it for petitions and other sites, did you include your name when submitting the info?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4682 posts
3516 upvotes
ThiruIO wrote: In a haste I didn’t read the original post correctly.

This email address you’re using, does it have your name attached to it Or when you’ve used it for petitions and other sites, did you include your name when submitting the info?
Nope. I looked at account and there's no trace of my name or any other identifying information . No other website shows up except for that webpage. FYI the email is a Gmail account. If I search for my "real" Gmail account the web page also shows up. If I use Google search engine on any browser it shows up. However, if I use another search engine using any browser nothing shows up.
Apr 19, 2014
158 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
hierophant wrote: Nope. I looked at account and there's no trace of my name or any other identifying information . No other website shows up except for that webpage. FYI the email is a Gmail account. If I search for my "real" Gmail account the web page also shows up. If I use Google search engine on any browser it shows up. However, if I use another search engine using any browser nothing shows up.
In one of your submissions, your real name and this email were submitted together.

And that information was included in one of Google bots crawls. It’s now been indexed to Google results.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4682 posts
3516 upvotes
ThiruIO wrote: In one of your submissions, your real name and this email were submitted together.

And that information was included in one of Google bots crawls. It’s now been indexed to Google results.
Ohhh ok, thanks. I don't recall doing that but who knows. I still don't think that's right what Google's doing. Anyway I can break that link?
Apr 19, 2014
158 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
hierophant wrote: Ohhh ok, thanks. I don't recall doing that but who knows. I still don't think that's right what Google's doing. Anyway I can break that link?
Search for that email address + your name in google.

See where it shows up. Go and try to delete or edit those results (if it’s a forum, delete or edit post etc, if it’s a different type of site, contact the admin to remove or change your info. )
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4682 posts
3516 upvotes
ThiruIO wrote: Search for that email address + your name in google.

See where it shows up. Go and try to delete or edit those results (if it’s a forum, delete or edit post etc, if it’s a different type of site, contact the admin to remove or change your info. )
Nothing shows up.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4747 posts
2102 upvotes
GTA
I don't have any advice for disassociating the email address with the search result but you could switch to using email aliases instead of a dedicated email for spam for future use.

Some of the more popular services are anonaddy.com, simplelogin.io, and even Mozilla has one @ relay.firefox.com
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4682 posts
3516 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: I don't have any advice for disassociating the email address with the search result but you could switch to using email aliases instead of a dedicated email for spam for future use.

Some of the more popular services are anonaddy.com, simplelogin.io, and even Mozilla has one @ relay.firefox.com
Thanks - didn't even know such a service existed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4682 posts
3516 upvotes
Crichtonfan wrote: Is it a Gmail address? If so it's possible you browsed LinkedIn while logged in to that and some how google remembered to associate your email with the page. Sounds like a long shot but maybe.

May be try giving them a request:

https://support.google.com/websearch/tr ... ic=3285072
I missed this response. Actually this is what first occurred to me as well - Linkedin is terrible as well. It's finding people in my connection it shouldn't be. I use one browser for gmail, facebook and linkedin, and another browser for searching for stuff. It doesn't look there's much I can do. Their support is pretty useless there's no way that I can find to contact someone other than the community forums.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2267 posts
1317 upvotes
Calgary
Go into incognito mode and try searching for the email again. It’s possible it’s just using information from your own account (browser history for example) to generate that search result.