How to repair this stained ceiling

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2019 4:59 pm
[OP]
Jun 9, 2019
10 posts
3 upvotes

How to repair this stained ceiling

Hi ..as you can see in the pic there is some water stain on the ceiling which I guess is popcorn ceiling. What is the easiest way to repair it. Is there any spray paint available.
Thanks
Images
  • 20190725_150430.jpg
15 replies
Feb 11, 2018
444 posts
410 upvotes
You might be lucky and a coat (or two) of paint might hide everything. But more importantly, you should investigate what caused the leak AND make sure mold will not develop on 'the other side of the stain'.
Thought of the day: Never confuse your wants for your needs.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2019
10 posts
3 upvotes
This happened 2 years back when a bucket full of water fell on the floor and was left overnight like that..was advised by the contractor recommended by insurance company to up the heater a bit, it got hard within one day.

So the only way is to paint it using a brush and no spray paint for it right? Just that spray paint might be a bit easier...never used one though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8586 posts
1621 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
We had a few spots, albeit smaller. Just used a brush to dab ceiling paint on them. Can't tell at all.

Alternatively, remove the popcorn (easy part) and put on a smooth coat of compound (hard part) and repaint a smooth ceiling.
Feb 11, 2018
444 posts
410 upvotes
Reddeals77 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 8:37 pm
This happened 2 years back when a bucket full of water fell on the floor and was left overnight like that..was advised by the contractor recommended by insurance company to up the heater a bit, it got hard within one day.

So the only way is to paint it using a brush and no spray paint for it right? Just that spray paint might be a bit easier...never used one though.
Obviously spray paint would be easier but it is darn messy and you need to cover a lot. Assuming you have the same paint used for the ceiling (and hoping there hasn't been too much discoloration due to time...) use a 4" paint brush with long bristle and try to gently hit the stain spot repeatedly. If the color matches the rest of the ceiling then it might look pretty good when you'll be done. Otherwise you'll have to paint the whole ceiling.

OTOH, you might want to try with a roller. But it might make more of a difference at the edges of the stain spot.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9726 posts
7000 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
When it comes to popcorn ceilings ... spray is easier to apply than brushing / rolling on

Kilz is a company that makes Primers & Paints especially for this situation (water stains) including being available in an aerosols can

You can find it at Lowes Group Stores, including Rona

But as the others have said, the most important thing is discovering what caused the water mark... and correcting that issue / leak first & foremost
Feb 11, 2018
444 posts
410 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 1:26 am
But as the others have said, the most important thing is discovering what caused the water mark... and correcting that issue / leak first & foremost
"This happened 2 years back when a bucket full of water fell on the floor and was left overnight like that..."
Oct 3, 2011
450 posts
266 upvotes
OTTAWA
is the ceiling painted already? if no, then whatever paint you put up over it will stand out. If you are investigating the leak by opening up then you will likely cut out that section and patch it with a new sheet of drywall which needs to be taped and blended back which means you need to scrape a section and reapply texture. If you are not patching the drywall then you apply a stain blocking primer like kilz (it comes in either spray can or regular bucket). I hate popcorn when you touch it, it will flake off, if you roll paint on it, your roller gets full of crap. But back to the first bit, if the ceiling isn't painted at all, you'll be doing the entire room to hide it so a spray can is pretty pointless. Texture is just sprayed up and left.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11590 posts
5942 upvotes
Toronto
painting pop corn ceiling? lol, good luck ever getting it off.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 3, 2011
450 posts
266 upvotes
OTTAWA
koffey wrote:
Jul 26th, 2019 12:46 pm
painting pop corn ceiling? lol, good luck ever getting it off.
yeah, if you are painting over you are committing to living with popcorn forever. painting over it makes it infinitely more difficult and time consuming if you ever want to go flat ceilings.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6029 posts
2064 upvotes
Try Zinsser primer.
When my kids were young one plugged the toilet and caused an overflow which stained the dining room popcorn ceiling below - similar stain, though smaller in diameter to the one you picture.
I waited till things dried - and painted with Zinsser primer.
Since my popcorn ceiling is painted in flat (not semi gloss or gloss) paint - the primer hid the stain and there is nothing visible.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5101 posts
2884 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:
Jul 27th, 2019 8:55 am
Try Zinsser primer.
When my kids were young one plugged the toilet and caused an overflow which stained the dining room popcorn ceiling below - similar stain, though smaller in diameter to the one you picture.
Similar stain , except more brown in colour.
Jan 3, 2003
370 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Reddeals77 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 3:09 pm
Hi ..as you can see in the pic there is some water stain on the ceiling which I guess is popcorn ceiling. What is the easiest way to repair it. Is there any spray paint available.
Thanks
Another vote for the Zinsser spray:

Zinnser Cover up

I've used it on several different types of ceilings and it works great.
Jun 14, 2004
26 posts
Edmonton
You can try mixing water/bleach in a spray bottle then spray the stain, let it dry a day then spray it again. I did this a few times and the stain is barely noticeable now. Its better than painting the whole ceiling.