Home & Garden

How to rewire a three prong plug direct to a light switch?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2017 11:34 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3584 posts
995 upvotes
Oshawa

How to rewire a three prong plug direct to a light switch?

I currently have a 48" Fluorescent Tube light that uses a regular 3-pronged plug that plugs into a regular electrical outlet.

Is it possible to cut off the 3-prong head and rewire the black/white electrical wires into a light switch so that instead of each time I use the light I can just flip the switch and the light comes on?

I already have the wiring all done in the room that I would like to connect the Fluorescent Tube light fixture to ... the hot is coming from an electrical outlet into a single-pole light switch ... then I'm looking at cutting off the 3-prong end and connecting that to the single pole light switch ... black wire to switch ... white wire with the white wire coming from the electrical outlet ... grounds to the ground pole on the single pole light switch.

Is this possible???

IMAG6468.jpg
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling with a 55" Vizio wallmounted. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
24 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10802 posts
7057 upvotes
Edmonton
Technically, it would be as easy as you say. From a electrical/permit perspective, you'd probably be breaking a number of rules. How/where will the ends of the cord be attached to the switch?

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3584 posts
995 upvotes
Oshawa
CNeufeld wrote: Technically, it would be as easy as you say. From a electrical/permit perspective, you'd probably be breaking a number of rules. How/where will the ends of the cord be attached to the switch?

C
Run 14/2 with connectors ...
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling with a 55" Vizio wallmounted. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3584 posts
995 upvotes
Oshawa
I could essentially purchase another fluorescent tube lighting fixture that does not have a plug and wire it but I'm looking to re-use what I currently have ...

So that's why I'm inquiring to see if it is possible to just snip off the 3-prong plug and then run the excess cable into the unfinished wall and then connect using 14/2 with connectors to connect to a simple light switch so that I can use a light switch to control the light fixture instead of plugging in the fixture each time I'm in the room ...
Jan 30, 2015
189 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
I was told by an ESA inspector that cutting off a plug and hardwiring it was a code fail. However, he only knew because he asked whether what type of fixture it was and I told him (doh!), otherwise I don't think you can tell easily. He let it slide so it probably isn't the most egregious violation you can make.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3584 posts
995 upvotes
Oshawa
This is the light fixture that I am wanting to hardwire into a single pole light switch ... note the white cord at the end which is the 3-pronged electrical plug.

IMAG6409.jpg
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14293 posts
14956 upvotes
Oakville
A wire is a wire so of course you can do it. Are you asking if it's technically possible or if it is up to code?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3584 posts
995 upvotes
Oshawa
jabela wrote: A wire is a wire so of course you can do it. Are you asking if it's technically possible or if it is up to code?
Correct jabela ...

#1 ... is it physically possible and would it cause any "hazard" if when I connect use the twist connectors into a 14/2 wire and then electrical tape to tape over the connectors ... the 14/2 is then connected to the single pole switch and the power source (also a 14/2 wire from an electrical outlet) ...

#2 ... would it be according to code if connected that way
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14293 posts
14956 upvotes
Oakville
AV-Fishing wrote: Correct jabela ...

#1 ... is it physically possible and would it cause any "hazard" if when I connect use the twist connectors into a 14/2 wire and then electrical tape to tape over the connectors ... the 14/2 is then connected to the single pole switch and the power source (also a 14/2 wire from an electrical outlet) ...

#2 ... would it be according to code if connected that way
If the wires are connected in the receptacle it would be safe. Like the poster above mentioned it's usually against code to cut a plug off and wire it directly, even when you can get the same part without a plug. Probably just a general rule.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1302 posts
739 upvotes
Barrie ON
Your description of connecting the cut-off lamp cord to the switch will function electrically, but not safely. I don't believe that using lamp cord for a permanent installation meets code.

I'm sure that your light fixture was not manufactured specifically for plugging into a wall outlet. It is a standard fixture that someone installed a lamp cord into for convenience of use. Simply open up the fixture and replace the lamp cord with 14-2 and a proper cable clamp.

This will be safer because the switches are not designed to have stranded wire attached to them.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10802 posts
7057 upvotes
Edmonton
I still don't understand the point. Why not just wire up an outlet to the switch, and plug the light into that? That's what I've done in the garage.

C
Nov 21, 2010
515 posts
107 upvotes
Ontario
CNeufeld wrote: I still don't understand the point. Why not just wire up an outlet to the switch, and plug the light into that? That's what I've done in the garage.

C
That is the proper way to do it. Hopefully the OP takes your advice.
Dec 19, 2010
777 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
CNeufeld wrote: I still don't understand the point. Why not just wire up an outlet to the switch, and plug the light into that? That's what I've done in the garage.

C
your solution makes the most sense.
however, i think the OP's POV (and i could be wrong) is he wants the wire hidden behind the wall, assuming he wants to finish the basement?
if that is not the case, then it does not make much sense in doing this and i would just install the built in outlet switch.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10802 posts
7057 upvotes
Edmonton
jamieee wrote: your solution makes the most sense.
however, i think the OP's POV (and i could be wrong) is he wants the wire hidden behind the wall, assuming he wants to finish the basement?
if that is not the case, then it does not make much sense in doing this and i would just install the built in outlet switch.
That cord wouldn't be rated to go behind a wall.

C