Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1466 posts
1191 upvotes

Is that how RFD is run???

I created a thread called "The meaning of time - By H.B." in PRC

and now I see the thread is gone and I was not informed of it by whoever decided to delete it and why. Is that how RFD is run???

EDIT: Below is the original text. @TomRFD could you please tell me what's offensive in my post? Or is it that what mods can't understand is deleted???

Time is only an illusion produced by the succession of our states of consciousness as we travel through eternal duration, and it does not exist where no consciousness exists in which the illusion can be produced; but "lies asleep."

The present is only a mathematical line which divides that part of eternal duration which we call the future, from that part which we call the past. Nothing on earth has real duration, for nothing remains without change -- or the same -- for the billionth part of a second; and the sensation we have of the actuality of the division of "time" known as the present, comes from the blurring of that momentary glimpse, or succession of glimpses, of things that our senses give us, as those things pass from the region of ideals which we call the future, to the region of memories that we name the past.

In the same way we experience a sensation of duration in the case of the instantaneous electric spark, by reason of the blurred and continuing impression on the retina. The real person or thing does not consist solely of what is seen at any particular moment, but is composed of the sum of all its various and changing conditions from its appearance in the material form to its disappearance from the earth.

It is these "sum-totals" that exist from eternity in the "future," and pass by degrees through matter, to exist for eternity in the "past." No one could say that a bar of metal dropped into the sea came into existence as it left the air, and ceased to exist as it entered the water, and that the bar itself consisted only of that cross-section thereof which at any given moment coincided with the mathematical plane that separates, and, at the same time, joins, the atmosphere and the ocean.

Even so of persons and things, which, dropping out of the to-be into the has-been, out of the future into the past -- present momentarily to our senses a cross-section, as it were, of their total selves, as they pass through time and space (as matter) on their way from one eternity to another: and these two constitute that "duration" in which alone anything has true existence, were our senses but able to cognize it there.
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Dec 30th, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The more harm you do to others, the more harm you do to your own self.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18791 posts
6349 upvotes
Toronto
And what was the point of the post? Could it have been taken as an ad for the work?
"In PRC", sorry don't follow.

Did it contribute to this community in any way? Was it offensive?
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14735 posts
2534 upvotes
You would have received a pm from one of the mods of the thread being either deleted or moved.

PRC - Politics, Religion and Controversial
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1466 posts
1191 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: You would have received a pm from one of the mods of the thread being either deleted or moved.

PRC - Politics, Religion and Controversial
Nope, I didn't receive anything from the mods and the thread is gone.
DaVibe wrote: And what was the point of the post?
Exposing people to different knowledge, to a different point-of-view.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14490 posts
27195 upvotes
Scarborough
It was reported for being a complete copy and paste of outside content which is against our rules. I also did question the thread itself because if I remember correctly, you didn't add anything to the post besides the copy and paste.

The reason line somehow went blank so that's why there wasn't a notification sent upon the threads deletion. I'm looking into what happened there but I apologize that you didn't receiving a notification of that.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1466 posts
1191 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: It was reported for being a complete copy and paste of outside content which is against our rules. I also did question the thread itself because if I remember correctly, you didn't add anything to the post besides the copy and paste.

The reason line somehow went blank so that's why there wasn't a notification sent upon the threads deletion. I'm looking into what happened there but I apologize that you didn't receiving a notification of that.
Thanks Tom for your reply.

To clarify: What I copy/paste is a few paragraphs out of a 500+ pages book written more than 100 years ago so there is no copyright violation. The material in question being rather 'deep' I decided to let it speaks for itself and wait for people's replies before commenting. Hope it helps.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13355 posts
2251 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Theosophy is a religion established in the United States during the late nineteenth century. It was founded primarily by the Russian immigrant Helena Blavatsky and draws its teachings predominantly from Blavatsky's writings. Categorized by scholars of religion as both a new religious movement and as part of the occultist stream of Western esotericism, it draws upon both older European philosophies such as Neoplatonism and Asian religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism... (wikipedia)
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8899 posts
4216 upvotes
Markham
If you want to discuss, it's better you first talk about your thoughts on it and others can add.

Doesn't matter how many pages you copied or whether it still has copyright, just think simply throwing a bunch text doesn't help the discussion

If you post something regardless in which forum, it's supposed to be your post, which means you need add value to it, especially if someone don't know the context and what you try to do. Those texts are supposed to support your idea, not stay there alone
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28009 posts
8448 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: PRC - Politics, Religion and Controversial
LOL thanks for that I thought he meant People's Republic of China--as if the author had wrote it there or something :lol:
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14735 posts
2534 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL thanks for that I thought he meant People's Republic of China--as if the author had wrote it there or something :lol:
I actually was planning to make a joke out of it too (as some may think of it in the same terms), but decided to take it straight.Face With Tears Of Joy
Jun 5, 2017
54 posts
22 upvotes
At the Circus
OP the crowd at RFD isn't really suitable for this sort of topics. Better post elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1741 posts
903 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
This isn't nearly Ferengi enough for RFD.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3936 posts
31384 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's more like Mario. Or any game that makes you jump for objects or catch things from roof tops. Everyone's fallout journey created some of that when they felt fooled by the world and they musta lost it all. Everyone gets angry, everyone adjusts, everyone reasons, everyone learns to perch near wisdom's whisper. Space, time and matter. 1, 2 and 3 and the world is ready to move back to the world that was, with all that we progressed here and changed and won. We're never wasting time. Without space, all those lockdowns would seem impossible. Without time, we'd never move forward or in a direction away from the final light down the tunnel. Without matter, we're simply not able to materialize anywhere and everywhere. Time is an 80's trend brought about by the speed of your questionable mortality left adjusted in this shell where we're somewhere in the middle, but time is speeding up, we're able to sit and do more, and we're at the comforts of our home more than ever likely. We're still going to shine brighter and get further ahead, but we can only focus on what we're after. The chase loses itself when the dream becomes your frame and in it, you're finishing your dreams living it. Nothing than of this world really makes sense, but we always gotta remember we're in it to win it, so we can't fade out or get ********. Gotta keep the pace. Time isn't everything, but it's not nothing. At the peril of this life, we've seem to collected it so that maybe the atmosphere can grow. We forget the universe is a living entity too, and we're here to make it all work, even though some people can't fathom how beautiful or free or graced the life we're able to have without human nature being coiled by some unnatural thing. We gotta get through it and see age fade out as we're brought to the twilight where we can fly back home and live out in the stars where now, it's impossible, or apparently we chase it with the finer grain that accumulates thoughts beyond the calendared days.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6486 posts
3560 upvotes
Aurora
I do feel the moderation can be too aggressive here. Yes, mods, I get pissed when you guys delete strings of posts of which I've participated in for no legitimate reason, in my opinion.

BUT... Come, on, OP. We all know your threads in Off Topic. I know it's Off Topic and just about anything goes that isn't obviously hateful or offensive. But so many of your threads are a waste of electrons. The vast majority of members see your threads as useless. If you wanted serious discussions, then it just isn't happening. But you already figured that out long ago. You don't want a discussion since there's no point in doing so with beings you believe are at an inferior stage of evolution compared to yourself - you want to preach. Most people here tolerate your Off Topic threads and see you as a mostly harmless delusional and nothing more.

And a lot has to do with your manner. You come off as a know it all pretending to know it all and we all know that you're actually more confused about how the universe works than anyone else. If anyone questions you, it's the same old "you/the-human-race/most-others-except-me are not evolved enough to understand what I already know" or "when your mind is ready, the sacred answers will reveal themselves" fortune cookie nonsense. Your overuse of winkie-winkie-smirky-smirky, know-it-all, nya-nya-nya-na-na-I-know-a-secret emoticons doesn't help and don't make fantasy into reality much as you desperately wish that they do ;) ;) ;)

So sometimes, if one too many of your threads are just too low content, I can't be surprised if one or two get deleted or get reported by a member tired of walking through dog turds. ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1536 posts
898 upvotes
NOYB
I don't want to judge on whether your topic is worth a discussion. And I do think you should have received a notification wrt the reason it was deleted - some mods like to do this silently

However, why do you think to copy and paste from a random source without any citation is okay to start with?

Sure this isn't researchgate, google scholar, or some kind of academic website. I doubt if anybody here is going to accuse you of plagiarism or copyright violation.

Yet when you start a new post with zero reference people would assume you wrote all of the content, which is clearly not the case. EDIT: I noticed you did add "by xxx" at the end of the title but still..

IMO, the proper way to do it If you wanted a meaningful discussion (even in the PRC sub), is to add some of your thoughts to the post or just say "this is what I took from xxx. What do you guys think?"
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms + Lucky Mobile + Public Mobile user* SPEND WISELY

Self banning from the PRC sub, after a member with civility was banned from it without reasonable cause since 11/09/2020
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1466 posts
1191 upvotes
Terabithia wrote: I don't want to judge on whether your topic is worth a discussion. And I do think you should have received a notification wrt the reason it was deleted - some mods like to do this silently

However, why do you think to copy and paste from a random source without any citation is okay to start with?

Sure this isn't researchgate, google scholar, or some kind of academic website. I doubt if anybody here is going to accuse you of plagiarism or copyright violation.

Yet when you start a new post with zero reference people would assume you wrote all of the content, which is clearly not the case.

IMO, the proper way to do it If you wanted a meaningful discussion (even in the PRC sub), is to add some of your thoughts to the post or just say "this is what I took from xxx. What do you guys think?"
I thank you for your comments, but some clarifications are in order.

The title of my thread was, "The meaning of time - By H.B.". As you can see I clearly indicated that the text was by someone with initials H.B.. You couldn't know based on my post in this thread, but the original thread had all the text in italic and within double-quotes to show I was quoting someone. So it was clear from my first post in the original thread that I had not written it.

Overall RFD is not a website for deep conversations, so I didn't have much expectation. But I thought maybe it would appeal to a tiny minority (less than 10) RFDers who might learn something from it. I decided to wait to see if anyone would reply before commenting because I didn't want to influence the conversation one way or another.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13468 posts
7596 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote: I do feel the moderation can be too aggressive here. Yes, mods, I get pissed when you guys delete strings of posts of which I've participated in for no legitimate reason, in my opinion.

BUT... Come, on, OP. We all know your threads in Off Topic. I know it's Off Topic and just about anything goes that isn't obviously hateful or offensive. But so many of your threads are a waste of electrons. The vast majority of members see your threads as useless. If you wanted serious discussions, then it just isn't happening. But you already figured that out long ago. You don't want a discussion since there's no point in doing so with beings you believe are at an inferior stage of evolution compared to yourself - you want to preach. Most people here tolerate your Off Topic threads and see you as a mostly harmless delusional and nothing more.

And a lot has to do with your manner. You come off as a know it all pretending to know it all and we all know that you're actually more confused about how the universe works than anyone else. If anyone questions you, it's the same old "you/the-human-race/most-others-except-me are not evolved enough to understand what I already know" or "when your mind is ready, the sacred answers will reveal themselves" fortune cookie nonsense. Your overuse of winkie-winkie-smirky-smirky, know-it-all, nya-nya-nya-na-na-I-know-a-secret emoticons doesn't help and don't make fantasy into reality much as you desperately wish that they do ;) ;) ;)

So sometimes, if one too many of your threads are just too low content, I can't be surprised if one or two get deleted or get reported by a member tired of walking through dog turds. ;)
Wiserhood.jpg