Automotive

How to safely purchase a used trailer from private seller (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 8:11 am
[OP]
Mar 12, 2012
636 posts
749 upvotes
Belleville

How to safely purchase a used trailer from private seller (Ontario)

Hi RFD folk,

I'm considering purchasing a used small tent trailer from a private seller here in Ontario. Will be somewhere in the range of $3,500 roughly.

I don't think I've ever made a purchase that large from a private seller, and certainly never for a trailer.

What's the best way to actually complete the transaction safely for both parties?

I know that I need to:
1. Give him money
2. Get a signed bill of sale
3. Register the trailer in my name

For #1 - I will probably just use cash, as that seems the safest. I'd prefer to use an etransfer, but in my experience my bank takes between 10 minutes and an hour to send the etransfer email. I not comfortable emailing the money ahead of time. I suppose I could send the transfer, and then hold the password until I'm there with him? Give him the password to receive the funds, then sign the bill of sale?

For #2 - looks pretty clear from the MTO website. (VIN, make year, body type, colour, model, purchase price, Name address of signature of seller, my name and address, and purchase date. Is there anything about this that I'm missing? I would want to verify the owner on the vehicle portion of the permit matches the sellers name?

For #3 - I need to take the vehicle portion of the permit, the bill of sale to service ontario and register it. Looks like I can't technically tow the trailer until this is done. So does that mean I would need to complete the sale, sign the paperwork, and then leave it in his driveway while I go to service ontario?

I've already talked to my insurance company, and confirmed that as long as it's hooked to my vehicle, I'm covered, but I'll add a policy after I get it to cover it when it's disconnected.

Thanks for any advice - I'm probably over thinking this, but I'm just trying to make sure I protect myself properly.
4 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
Just an FYI if the receiver has auto deposit turned on the transaction will happen even if you assigned a password on the EMT
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Mar 12, 2012
636 posts
749 upvotes
Belleville
GangStarr wrote: Just an FYI if the receiver has auto deposit turned on the transaction will happen even if you assigned a password on the EMT
Yup - thanks. I thought of that, but I know interact warns you about that during the setup.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26693 posts
5819 upvotes
It's pretty simple.
Go check it out and if you like it, you give him the cash and he signs a bill of sale as well as signs over the ownership to you.
You then take those documents to Service Ontario, pay taxes on whatever you claim you paid for the trailer, and that's it.
You can tow the trailer behind your car. You don't need to leave it behind.
A trailer doesn't even need to be insured. While being towed, your tow vehicle's insurance policy will cover it.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2012
636 posts
749 upvotes
Belleville
Yeah, I really was over thinking it. Guy who was selling it was super chill and flexible.