Shopping Discussion

How to Save $14.95 on DHL fees by self-clearing packages

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2024 5:15 pm
Nov 20, 2014
140 posts
298 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kazryv wrote: I had a parcel recently valued at $610 Canadian. DHL wanted $123.39 in fees... CBSA charged $73.20. $50 more to use DHL is absurd.
Damn that's absurd. I got a watch coming in worth about 1.5k. I'm estimating DHL wants $100.. or more. Where did you go to pick up your package after you paid the CBSA in vancouver?
Jun 19, 2010
722 posts
699 upvotes
Vancouver
coolstuffbro wrote: Damn that's absurd. I got a watch coming in worth about 1.5k. I'm estimating DHL wants $100.. or more. Where did you go to pick up your package after you paid the CBSA in vancouver?
DHL is about 300 meters from the Canada customs office at yvr. I just walked over and picked up my parcel after self clearing.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
1123 posts
1774 upvotes
Is there a way for me to know how much I would have to pay DHL the customs + duty + brokerage fees before the parcel arrives at my door? Do they send you an email or call you? Or can I just call DHL and ask what the fees for my parcel are? Any assistance is appreciated, thanks!
Dec 25, 2003
642 posts
768 upvotes
Saskatoon
sli723 wrote: know how much I would have to pay DHL the customs + duty + brokerage fees before the parcel arrives?
Call DHL and ask what the fees for the parcel are, you will need the tracking number. They will not attempt delivery if you tell them you will self clear and DHL will not lose the money that they would have paid to CBSA to clear your package. This saves DHL the tax amounts and also saves them a delivery attempt. It also speeds up the process for you by a day or so, not waiting for the delivery attempt to ask for the paperwork.
If you read this more than once, sorry for that.
Jul 20, 2018
1 posts
Big dawg so can I do something with my situation or that's a different scenario. I am getting my shipment it's costing me $238cad the company in China that I am working with they have sent me this quote including the DHL cost so when I recieve the package I don't have tomosynthesis them any thing. I just simply dlopen the door and recieve the package.??
Oct 29, 2018
1 posts
4 upvotes
realBIGmike1 wrote:
1. When the carrier comes to your door and demands the fees before giving you the package, you tell them that you are refusing delivery and will self-clear the package.
Alternatively, you can skip step #2 by calling or emailing DHL and ask them for the form for self-clearance. DHL will need the waybill # or tracking #. This can also be done here http://international.dhl.ca/en/contact_ ... duals.html

The online form you linked to above appears to actually be the opposite. From how it reads, you fill out that form if you, an individual, would like DHL to clear your items on your behalf.

At the bottom of the form it says (emphasis mine):
By submitting this form electronically I authorize DHL EXPRESS (CANADA), LTD. 18 Parkshore Drive, Brampton, ON L6T 5M1 to clear on my behalf the goods described in this form. By agreeing to this customs clearance agreement, I am hereby responsible for any duty, taxes (GST, PST, HST) owing on this shipment. DHL’s standard rates apply.
However, the form does say somewhat sneakily say at the top that, as an alternative, if you want to self-clear you must email them.
Dec 25, 2003
642 posts
768 upvotes
Saskatoon
I wonder why some ppl try to spread misinformation. This is really simple guys. I will make this extremely clear, again.

1. Wait until DHL comes to your door and demands money from you.
2. Tell the delivery guy you are not going to pay him because you will self clear, tell him to give you the invoice which is attached on your package
3. DHL will go away and take the package
4. Take the paper invoice that was given to your local CBSA office and tell them you would like to clear your package. Also take a receipt from your purchase from the seller, eg. print eBay receipt, and your photo I.D.
5. Call DHL and arrange re-delivey of your package with no fees! You have now saved the brokerage fee, please post about your success here.
Mar 20, 2011
307 posts
219 upvotes
Langley, BC
AsianXL wrote: In my case, it was actually cheaper for me to prepay to DHL than to self-clear.

My shipper under-declared the value of the good. The actual cost was $206USD. The shipper declared $55USD.

If I self-cleared at CBSA, I would've had to show the original invoice which would've cost me over $30CAD in duty & taxes. By pre-paying with DHL, I paid about $25CAD ($55USD declared value), which helped me save over $5CAD.
When I did this, the CBSA agent went off the declaration on the package (which DHL provided a scan of via email), they never once asked to see the original invoice, but this might depend on the agent you get.
Jun 8, 2008
724 posts
182 upvotes
How do I find which CBSA office I go to in Toronto? It's not very clear...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
neostylez3 wrote: How do I find which CBSA office I go to in Toronto? It's not very clear...
They'll usually direct you to a certain one.
I'm not sure you can just go to any one.
I'd be willing to bet that it'll be by an airport but not actually IN the airport.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 25, 2003
642 posts
768 upvotes
Saskatoon
datpham73743864 wrote: The online form you linked to above appears to actually be the opposite. From how it reads, you fill out that form if you, an individual, would like DHL to clear your items on your behalf. It should work with all carriers but some smaller startups like EZclear may make step 2 more difficult. At worst, if they will not provide the package's shipping invoice you would have to print your own invoice for the package and get the tracking number yourself.

At the bottom of the form it says (emphasis mine):

However, the form does say somewhat sneakily say at the top that, as an alternative, if you want to self-clear you must email them.
You are EXACTLY correct, DHL changed it so the link I provided now authorizes them to clear your package and jack you, lololol. Seems they are aware of the tread. This is the proven method that it will be hard for DHL to screw with.
> Pasted Below >

1. Wait until DHL comes to your door and demands money from you.
2. Tell the delivery guy you are not going to pay him because you will self clear, tell him to give you the invoice which is attached on your package
3. DHL will go away and take the package
4. Take the paper invoice that was given to your local CBSA office and tell them you would like to clear your package. Also take a receipt from your purchase from the seller, eg. print eBay receipt, and your photo I.D.
5. Call DHL and arrange re-delivey of your package with no fees! You have now saved the brokerage fee, please post about your success here.
Sep 5, 2007
119 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
When people say its not worth their Time, i always picture them on FB or any other social apps scrolling mindlessly for hours. LOL Thanks for the info OP! Fight a good cause!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
james23 wrote: When people say its not worth their Time, i always picture them on FB or any other social apps scrolling mindlessly for hours. LOL Thanks for the info OP! Fight a good cause!
It's not worth my time (or car) dealing with Richmond....
I'd pay $15 just to not have to go to there.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 25, 2010
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
The Toronto CBSA office for self declaring is in Mississauga.

Toronto Pearson International Airport (TPIA)
Commercial Operations District
Cargo 3
2720 Britannia Road East,
Mississauga, Ontario
L5P 1A2
(905) 676-3626
Oct 7, 2018
2 posts
Is it the same process if the package is being imported by DHL but going to be delivered by Canada Post? Do I wait until Canada Post leaves the card on the door and then go to the post office to see how much DHL wants? And how do I calculate what the duties and taxes would be at Customs, so I can know if it's worth it to go to YVR and self-clear? It's a pair of headphones costing $165 USD / $219 CAD, made in Ireland. I live in BC. Thanks for any help.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2011
1256 posts
865 upvotes
Toronto
james23 wrote: When people say its not worth their Time, i always picture them on FB or any other social apps scrolling mindlessly for hours. LOL Thanks for the info OP! Fight a good cause!
If it's a proven and easily repeatable process to fight the ransom then more and more people will start to pick up the clues. Problem is courier made it hard for people to do that and the CBSA officer isn't your most friendliest neighbor either.

My personal experience with Fudex wasted me two trips to CBSA without success, and in the end I found my way out with flimsy work they done on the invoice using totally wrong tariff code
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
DorianhaBogelund wrote: Is it the same process if the package is being imported by DHL but going to be delivered by Canada Post? Do I wait until Canada Post leaves the card on the door and then go to the post office to see how much DHL wants? And how do I calculate what the duties and taxes would be at Customs, so I can know if it's worth it to go to YVR and self-clear? It's a pair of headphones costing $165 USD / $219 CAD, made in Ireland. I live in BC. Thanks for any help.
More to the point, you want to know what the brokerage and associated (taxable) fees are. This is the larger factor with most couriers, not the tax and duty.

As Canada Post is doing the final delivery, the brokerage fee will be $9.95.

The rate of duty for wireless headphones (HS code 8518.30) from Ireland will be zero or 0.5% (depending on whether CETA is fully implemented yet for this class of goods).

Fairly safe to assume they won't bother with the 0.5% rate of duty on a personal importation anyway, so figure on $26.28 in GST+PST for BC.

So I would expect CP to ask for $36.23 at the door. Had DHL done the final delivery, it would be about $10 more at a guess. If it had been UPS delivering, about $70 more.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
how much in DHL fees for a phone from alixpress declared as 60$usd, thx
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
I just self-cleared a package worth $15US.

I saved $10 for brokerage plus a $5 Transaction Fee plus tax.
All told, I saved just over $19,
Phils
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: how much in DHL fees for a phone from alixpress declared as 60$usd, thx
$16+taxes+taxes on $60USD.