Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1061 posts
337 upvotes

How to scoop ice cream

Never been able to get a proper round scoop of ice cream. Any thoughts. I have seen some stores keep the scoop dipped in water. I tried that too, but maybe I need a training course:)
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6800 posts
3895 upvotes
Aurora
Former Baskin-Robbins employee here. That's pretty much it - metal ice cream scoop dipped in water to prevent sticking. The ice cream parlor has the advantage of having their ice cream in cylindrical tubs; this make getting a nice round, pleasing scoop easier as you would scoop against the inner curve of the tub wall. A little harder with a rectangular container.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6649 posts
2994 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
You need one of those cast aluminium scoops. I found one at a thrift shop after trying fancy S/S and plastic ones. This one will cut right through good ice cream straight out of the deep freeze.

No water required. I think that's just to minimize flavour contamination?
Last edited by thriftshopper on Apr 9th, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1330 posts
1264 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Does round ice cream taste different?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2148 posts
1605 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
KevinM56081 wrote: Does round ice cream taste different?
No, it doesn’t taste different but it’s more compact so you can scoop more , pile it on, and not look quite as piggish Face Savouring Delicious Food. I love ice cream, so can put more in a bowl or cone when it’s nice and compact round.

TThe right ice cream scoop makes a difference. In hot water helps too.
Last edited by Macx2mommy on Apr 10th, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1037 posts
346 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Does round ice cream taste different?
Yes it does. It has been scientifically proven that round ice cream tastes better just like how a sandwich cut into triangles tastes better.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6649 posts
2994 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
blarg wrote: Yes it does. It has been scientifically proven that round ice cream tastes better just like how a sandwich cut into triangles tastes better.
Right angle or isosoles?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9645 posts
1876 upvotes
Toronto
It helps if the ice cream is not frozen solid or ice crystal laden, but softened/thawed a bit before but not to the point of melting.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3655 posts
809 upvotes
The trick is not to scoop, but rather to grab a spoon and eat right out of the container.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13772 posts
8485 upvotes
Markham
Macx2mommy wrote: No, it doesn’t taste different but it’s more compact so you can scoop more , pile it on, and not look quite as piggish Face Savouring Delicious Food. I love ice cream, so can put more in a bowl or cone when it’s nice and compact round.

TThe right ice cream scoop makes a difference. In hot water helps too.
I put mine into a cup... Since you only see the top, it looks like one scoop (even thought it might be two or three. No looky like piggy that way. LOL
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Oct 10, 2004
876 posts
177 upvotes
Winnipeg
random pattern wrote: The trick is not to scoop, but rather to grab a spoon and eat right out of the container.
I did this once when the boss had me take inventory of a truckload of Baskin-Robbins tubs that failed QA. Went into the walk in freezer with a parka, pencil, clip board and a spoon. I'm not proud of myself, but damn that was good eating!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1294 posts
209 upvotes
Get a Zeroli scoop. The heat from your hand transfers to the scoop area to slightly melt the ice cream as you scoop it into a perfect ball.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1061 posts
337 upvotes
craigdcan wrote: Get a Zeroli scoop. The heat from your hand transfers to the scoop area to slightly melt the ice cream as you scoop it into a perfect ball.
Which one. I shopped online and there is a 1012 and 1020 brand or model#
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9842 posts
4144 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote: Which one. I shopped online and there is a 1012 and 1020 brand or model#
1010 = 4 oz (120 ml, 1/2 cup)
1012 = 3 oz (90 ml)
1016 = 2.5 oz (75 ml, 1/3 cup) "Amazon's Choice"
1020 = 2 oz (60 ml, 1/4 cup)
etc.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10192 posts
4304 upvotes
velomane wrote: I did this once when the boss had me take inventory of a truckload of Baskin-Robbins tubs that failed QA. Went into the walk in freezer with a parka, pencil, clip board and a spoon. I'm not proud of myself, but damn that was good eating!
How does ice cream fail QA? And if it did, why would you still want to eat it?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1330 posts
1264 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Gutty96 wrote: How does ice cream fail QA? And if it did, why would you still want to eat it?
Too much rocky in the rocky road. Get your spoon!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19109 posts
7186 upvotes
Toronto
Run the scoop under hot water and then scoop.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1400 posts
927 upvotes
do they have teflon coated scoops yet
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17075 posts
14454 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
itemsale2003 wrote: Never been able to get a proper round scoop of ice cream. Any thoughts. I have seen some stores keep the scoop dipped in water. I tried that too, but maybe I need a training course:)
What’s needed :

A good quality scoop
A cup of warm water to dip the scoop in
And a strong wrist to curl the scoop thru the frozen goodness *

Says the soul who spent a whole summer scooping ice cream as a college student at McDonerty’s in NDG

Ah yes ... back in the day before AC was the norm
Was tough work *
But great fun too!

* Anyone who’s scooped ice cream full time as a job knows these 2 facts *