• Jun 8th, 2021 7:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1072 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto

How to seal central vac tube in garage? Mice

I noticed the seal around my central vac tube in garage has been chewed by mice. What's the best way to seal this? There's wires going through as well.
I was thinking of filling with fine steel wool, but then what?

I've looked around garage and cannot find entry point from outside and have no idea how they are entering. I'm guessing it's not visible.

Do rodent companies have a way to determine entry points?
Images
  • 20210605_201217.jpg
9 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4963 posts
1494 upvotes
0 downvotes
I would fill in the inside of the hole with spray foam, but for the exterior, i would put silicone sealent because it will keep an air tight seal, after all a garage you would want it air tight so the carbon monoxide does not go into your house
Hi
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1072 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: I would fill in the inside of the hole with spray foam, but for the exterior, i would put silicone sealent because it will keep an air tight seal, after all a garage you would want it air tight so the carbon monoxide does not go into your house
There's wires inside though. Is spray foam still OK?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10255 posts
5474 upvotes
Paris
ranjeet2000 wrote: There's wires inside though. Is spray foam still OK?
Dow makes a specific foam for rodents they dont like to chew. I dont know what different about it from the other foams.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1072 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Dow makes a specific foam for rodents they dont like to chew. I dont know what different about it from the other foams.
Won't it be an issue putting foam on the wires?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6454 posts
3473 upvotes
Mississauga
ranjeet2000 wrote: Won't it be an issue putting foam on the wires?
No. The wire sheathing is inert to the foam.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1072 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: No. The wire sheathing is inert to the foam.
Sorry my English not so good. What does inert mean?
In the future if I remove foam, the wires can be separated easily from the foam?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10255 posts
5474 upvotes
Paris
ranjeet2000 wrote: Sorry my English not so good. What does inert mean?
In the future if I remove foam, the wires can be separated easily from the foam?
Foam won’t hurt the wires, wires easy to pull out of foam if required. My electrical box was foamed around the entry and electrical putty
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16455 posts
5153 upvotes
London
I used mortar/ cement to seal the gaps tight
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4963 posts
1494 upvotes
0 downvotes
the foam is SAFE around the wires yes, when you watch homes on holmes and you see him spray foam between the joists ,the spray foam covers the hydro wires too, doesn't it? so that means its safe the wires have a plastic sheating on them. a
Hi