Home & Garden

How to seal MDF toekick cut ends/edges

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2020 8:54 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1603 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto

How to seal MDF toekick cut ends/edges

I'm installing the toekicks of my basement buil-ins this weekend. I've scribed them to the floor and am thinking I should be sealing the bottom edge (now raw MDF since i scribed them). The toe-kicks are 3/4'' MDF, shop-finished with lacquer.

I was thinking I would tape up the faces of the kicks and hit the cut edge with a a few coats of clear lacquer (spraycan)? I've got about 18 ft of kicks to do.

I know there are a number of woodworkers (professional and DIYers) on here so hoping for some recommendations

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9943 posts
5234 upvotes
Paris
Depends on how far you want to go... first are you sure it’s MDF and not particleboard?

If MDF the best way to seal it is use a wood filler, sand that off, then paint. If you only paint, the edges will absorb the paint and it will take about 5 coats.

If particleboard, I would just paint with anything you have.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1619 posts
673 upvotes
London
I’ve heard of people sealing them with watered down carpenter’s glue. That’s what I would do since I usually have plenty of it around. I don’t think it has to be fancy or something to be stressed about (sounds like you are being smart about it). It sounds like it is sitting on a finished floor (?). If water ever came up that high you probably have an insurance claim anyway.

I’d just brush on whatever you have around. I would not spray.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1603 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the recommendations.

Yes, definitely MDF - had doors, panels, fillers and toekicks made for Ikea cabinets. I'm not looking to finish the cut side that i've scribed, just seal it as it will be down against a finish vinyl floor in the basement.

Funny you mention the glue/water - someone else mentioned that to me. I'll definitely give that a shot! I'm assuming 50/50 mix, or whatever to make it the consistency of "paint"
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
jacquesstrap wrote: Thanks for the recommendations.

Yes, definitely MDF - had doors, panels, fillers and toekicks made for Ikea cabinets. I'm not looking to finish the cut side that i've scribed, just seal it as it will be down against a finish vinyl floor in the basement.

Funny you mention the glue/water - someone else mentioned that to me. I'll definitely give that a shot! I'm assuming 50/50 mix, or whatever to make it the consistency of "paint"
Wood glue as sealant


A little long winded but good info
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45322 posts
5868 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Drakestar wrote: I’ve heard of people sealing them with watered down carpenter’s glue. That’s what I would do since I usually have plenty of it around. I don’t think it has to be fancy or something to be stressed about (sounds like you are being smart about it). It sounds like it is sitting on a finished floor (?). If water ever came up that high you probably have an insurance claim anyway.

I’d just brush on whatever you have around. I would not spray.
I agree. Just follow the KISS principal here, glue will work fine. It's MDF, no matter what you do, if it's soaked in water, you're going to need to replace it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1603 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks again guys, thinned wood glue it is. I'll take a few photos once I've done it to show the before and after
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15864 posts
13089 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jacquesstrap wrote: Thanks again guys, thinned wood glue it is. I'll take a few photos once I've done it to show the before and after
Nothing to add to the posts by the others.

Photos, yes please

Yup, with DIY that’s the most important thing on RFD
Many of us just drop in to see the photos of everyone’s projects
Be they mid stream or finished works

Definitely will be back to see what your ikea finished set up looks like

Top