• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 5:50 pm
[OP]
Jun 27, 2012
913 posts
99 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

How to search Amazon properly?

I'm a real search geek and have found ways of refining searches on Ebay using negative filtration, quotation marks, brackets, etc to get phenomenal deals. On Amazon its like I've gone back 20 years in technology. Also I've noticed they don't even care what you search for and will often spew out results that don't have your search words in either the title or description. Basically, when you're on the Amazon website THEY will show you what they want to sell you. Sure some of the results will have your search words but if you have to wade through so many non-relevant listings its an enormous waste of your time.

So as the Amazon website is basically a lying digital scumsite I was wondering if there are other websites that can search Amazon better. Like when you put in 4 search words those 4 words are actually in the title or description of the item! There are really good deals on there but if you can't find them, what's the point? Amazon is addressing shipping with gusto which is great to see - this is an area that Ebay is really falling behind on.
17 replies
Mar 20, 2011
301 posts
211 upvotes
Langley, BC
Agreed. I often resort to using google with "site:amazon.ca" or "site:amazon.com" as that tends to yield good results when looking for multiples of the same/similar items.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4267 posts
3698 upvotes
Toronto
Click on "Prime" (even if you're not on Amazon Prime) so it filters out all the marketplace sellers (which you can buy from on eBay or Ali, etc.), so it's only items sold or fulfilled by Amazon. That cuts out a ton of results which may or may not be relevant.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
jm1 wrote: Click on "Prime" (even if you're not on Amazon Prime) so it filters out all the marketplace sellers (which you can buy from on eBay or Ali, etc.), so it's only items sold or fulfilled by Amazon. That cuts out a ton of results which may or may not be relevant.
Great idea thanks
[OP]
Jun 27, 2012
913 posts
99 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Unfortunately using Google just piggybacks Amazon's lying results. Put in 4 words and you're lucky to get 3. If the 4th is unpopular it will be ignored. Ebay thankfully doesn't do this so you can actually search without wading through 80% useless results. I cannot believe how stupid Amazon buyers are - nobody talks about this. Such low online shopping standards. Typical public complacency. Then they complain that they have no money!

What is needed is a website/company that does nothing but search Amazon properly using all kinds of search techniques. Negative filtration is miraculous for searching these sites. Put in what you want searching the entire site (never categories as the best deals are often in the wrong categories), then negatively filtering to weed out the flack. Like they say, if you want to catch more fish you have to cast a wider net.
Mar 20, 2011
301 posts
211 upvotes
Langley, BC
A lot of people have very little time available to invest into researching in detail every product they buy unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3917 posts
1900 upvotes
redflagguy2u wrote: Unfortunately using Google just piggybacks Amazon's lying results. Put in 4 words and you're lucky to get 3. If the 4th is unpopular it will be ignored. Ebay thankfully doesn't do this so you can actually search without wading through 80% useless results. I cannot believe how stupid Amazon buyers are - nobody talks about this. Such low online shopping standards. Typical public complacency. Then they complain that they have no money!

What is needed is a website/company that does nothing but search Amazon properly using all kinds of search techniques. Negative filtration is miraculous for searching these sites. Put in what you want searching the entire site (never categories as the best deals are often in the wrong categories), then negatively filtering to weed out the flack. Like they say, if you want to catch more fish you have to cast a wider net.
It could be the ones that don't know how to search on amazon that may be the stupid ones.
Jul 5, 2013
976 posts
1488 upvotes
Saint John
I rarely search on Amazon. I usually use "Prime" and "50%off" or "25%off" to narrow down the results.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1392 posts
1095 upvotes
Halifax
Totally get the problem.
Do the Prime click consistently.

It is frustrating.
A fan of RFD
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes
Amazon search is weird.

It seems like the more you "screw" with it, the worse the results actually get.
[OP]
Jun 27, 2012
913 posts
99 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
> It could be the ones that don't know how to search on amazon that may be the stupid ones.

Well that's why I'm asking questions here. So far no answers. Which makes Amazon look as bad as I thought.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2030 posts
493 upvotes
In Hiding
redflagguy2u wrote: > It could be the ones that don't know how to search on amazon that may be the stupid ones.

Well that's why I'm asking questions here. So far no answers. Which makes Amazon look as bad as I thought.
Amazon's searches have deteriorated for sure, I think to force us to look at more products. Doesn't matter if you put the search terms into quotes. Seems like every word entered is treated as a wild card search, so instead of getting more specific, it returns more results. I was searching for a USB cable and got so frustrated, I'm now planning to get one at the Bestbuy 1/2 hour away. No answers from me ...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3412 posts
999 upvotes
Edmonton
While I can't tell you how I search beacuse I don't have any advanced method or anything on Amazon, I do find something filled by amazon and put it into camel camel camel.
Then I set an alert to when the price goes a certain limit
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes
I wish I could "sort" their search results more easily.

When I search for "X" it shows up relatively correctly, but if I try to narrow down the search (category, price, etc) I get a bunch of other random only slightly related things.
I want "intelligent" search I can filter.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5775 posts
1092 upvotes
Toronto
Simple, I only search for the EXACT item I want to buy. If Amazon doesn't have what I'm specifically looking for or it's too expensive then I render Amazon useless and move on.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jan 16, 2008
330 posts
123 upvotes
Chatham
Amazon search is lousy. Search for something specific, it always return with 20millions unrelated items, super annoying. Heck even Fleabay, kijiji search are better.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9245 posts
3584 upvotes
That's because vendors can pay to bump their items in search results - "sponsored products". Amazon is never going to get rid of something that makes them money, no matter how annoying it is.
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
376 upvotes
OTTAWA
I mentioned this elsewhere but some marketplace sellers edit their item listings and replace old items with different ones to retain positive reviews on the previously listed items. I think sometimes the results that come up are because the items are still tagged with the old search tags.. whether they update or not I'm not sure. I end up filtering only by ships/sold by amazon in order to guarantee it comes from their fulfillment center and that if any issues arise, I'm dealing with amazon directly, not with the marketplace seller, which often times is in china or india. I wish there were a way to blacklist marketplace sellers so their crap doesn't appear in your searches, but I imagine amazon doesn't care... just like with all the counterfeit merchandise that's listed that they say is against their seller terms.

Sometimes though you'll end up getting the junk items anyways, especially when you list them by lowest price first.