Automotive

How to sell a vehicle in Toronto when out of country.

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 3:58 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 11, 2017
27 posts
3 upvotes

How to sell a vehicle in Toronto when out of country.

Greetings. I want to sell my 15+ years old vehicle which is currently parked in condo underground parking in Toronto. I am currently out of country and will be back in few months. Vehicle is unable to move (battery dead, tires flat) due to parking for months. I have to change my parking spot by the end of this month so this is the only reason I am selling it. Vehicle has no insurance so towing company will not touch it. My family friend cannot drive or use his towing company (CAA) because he does not have insurance with my vehicle. Temporary insurance (State farm) does not exist in Ontario. Vehicle key and documents are with my family friend. This vehicle requires safety certificate in order to sell. So kindly guide me what to do. What documents do I need so my family friend can sell my vehicle on my behalf. Thank you very much.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4623 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
Xanishftw wrote: I have to change my parking spot by the end of this month so this is the only reason I am selling it. Vehicle has no insurance so towing company will not touch it.
That's not true. Call another tow company.
Sr. Member
Sep 15, 2017
794 posts
898 upvotes
derass wrote: That's not true. Call another tow company.
Yeah I was confused by that too. A towing company should have their own insurance. If they crash while hauling your vehicle, you aren't making a claim, they are.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3643 posts
1064 upvotes
Is it Lamborghini Diablo?
15 year old car which requires few grand to get it running.
Sell it to scrap yard, and have few cold ones
Sr. Member
Nov 22, 2017
931 posts
683 upvotes
romsan04 wrote: Is it Lamborghini Diablo?
15 year old car which requires few grand to get it running.
Sell it to scrap yard, and have few cold ones
This, why are you even wasting time on the car. Towing it will be $100 depending on where you are towing it. Battery another $100, i bet your brakes are seized and might even need new tires. How much you think you'll get for it realistically? $1000? Your best bet is to scrap it for $200 to 300 and stop wasting time. Unless of course it is a limited edition car that you might want to restore.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
16621 posts
5182 upvotes
Toronto
As others have mentioned, a 15 year old vehicle might not be worth much given the condition you are talking about. What year/make/model and KM do you have on it?

One option is https://cashforcars.ca/

You might need to sign some documents with the MTO to transfer title even if it is not insured or plated. If that was the case, any John can drive by some car parked at a home, tell them it is theirs and get it towed for $$.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
Just scrap it. It needs new tires, battery and who knows what else.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
49908 posts
13924 upvotes
ONTARIO
SoroSuub1 wrote: Bad way: Take the plates off and abandon it in the garage lol.

Good way: Scrap it

Best way: Find someone who will part it out for you, depending on what car it is and whether there are demand for the parts. Then scrap what's left.
Until its used in a robbery that gets pinned on you. Then you spend 5 years in jail

T_T
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
16684 posts
11834 upvotes
Toronto
what's the car worth OP?

If it's a beater, scrap it. It may just need a boost and the tires inflated though.

If it's the aforementioned Diablo or something worth keeping.....that's another story
Banned
Mar 12, 2019
12 posts
4 upvotes
California
I will probably just sell the parts since this car is not in a good condition and not everyone will be interested in getting a 15-year-old used car if at the end of the day they will more money to fix it.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1390 posts
1012 upvotes
Mississauga
Xanishftw wrote: Greetings. I want to sell my 15+ years old vehicle which is currently parked in condo underground parking in Toronto. I am currently out of country and will be back in few months. Vehicle is unable to move (battery dead, tires flat) due to parking for months. I have to change my parking spot by the end of this month so this is the only reason I am selling it. Vehicle has no insurance so towing company will not touch it. My family friend cannot drive or use his towing company (CAA) because he does not have insurance with my vehicle. Temporary insurance (State farm) does not exist in Ontario. Vehicle key and documents are with my family friend. This vehicle requires safety certificate in order to sell. So kindly guide me what to do. What documents do I need so my family friend can sell my vehicle on my behalf. Thank you very much.
donate it there are a bunch of companies that will take it and give you a tax receipt
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1171 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
We should lock threads and ban users when they ask for automotive advice and don’t even tell us make/model.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 11, 2017
27 posts
3 upvotes
Sorry for late reply. Guys the vehicle was running perfectly since the last time it ran. Buying another used SUV and maintaining it will cost more since I got this for free. I will be back in less than 6 months. I know how to bring a dead vehicle alive so that is not a problem for me. Thanks everyone for valuable feedback.

Top