• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 10:29 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8787 posts
651 upvotes

How to setup the power extension cord that crosses walkway

I am trying to set up the Christmas lighting on the front lawn. However, I can avoid having the power extension cord that crosses the 3 feet walkway. I wonder other than duct tape it on the ground (which will come loose after raining and snowing, and it also affect my snow shovelling), what other options do I have? Or I should just scrap the idea?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3848 posts
1850 upvotes
rdx wrote: I am trying to set up the Christmas lighting on the front lawn. However, I can avoid having the power extension cord that crosses the 3 feet walkway. I wonder other than duct tape it on the ground (which will come loose after raining and snowing, and it also affect my snow shovelling), what other options do I have? Or I should just scrap the idea?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Dig a tunnel under your walkway and feed it under.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2700 upvotes
ON
Alternatively something like this:
https://www.lowes.ca/cord-covers/wiremo ... 91631.html

You should be able to anchor it to the ground on the ends to hold it in place.

But underground or putting up a pole to let the cable cross high is the only way around not having it on the walkway.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4193 posts
3470 upvotes
Toronto
I would use a big outdoor mat like this:

LINK

Nothing will stick to your cold concrete walkway in the winter so any type of "cover" (duct tape, channels, etc.) will shift, so the big mat will still cover the cord even when it shifts around and may not shift around that much since it has so much surface area. A hassle when shovelling, admittedly.

If this is just the walkway used only by you and your neighbour (and you tell them about it), then it should be fine as it won't be used often and only by people who know the cord is there. If this would be walked on by everyone coming to your door, there's too much chance of it being a trip hazard, even if something is covering it, and I would try to go overhead with a couple of poles instead.
Jan 3, 2013
547 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg
Do what I do for the situation.. I run the cord from the backyard.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7439 posts
662 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't bother. If someone trips on it, or if some snow clearing rips it up, or whatever, why is it worth the hassle? The sidewalk here isn't even your property, it's the city's so.........
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9161 posts
4690 upvotes
Paris
zeon64 wrote: Do what I do for the situation.. I run the cord from the backyard.
Same. It suckers but I dont use the sideyard much this time of year.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10056 posts
2651 upvotes
Drew_W wrote: I wouldn't bother. If someone trips on it, or if some snow clearing rips it up, or whatever, why is it worth the hassle? The sidewalk here isn't even your property, it's the city's so.........
this, its common to have block heater extention cords on the sidewalks around here in the winter.
Feb 25, 2004
847 posts
350 upvotes
Longueuil
Drew_W wrote: I wouldn't bother. If someone trips on it, or if some snow clearing rips it up, or whatever, why is it worth the hassle? The sidewalk here isn't even your property, it's the city's so.........
I am not sure it is the city sidewalk he is talking about, he simply said the "3 feet walkway".
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8787 posts
651 upvotes
JEDI Force wrote: I am not sure it is the city sidewalk he is talking about, he simply said the "3 feet walkway".
You are correct. My lot doesn't have side walk ;) Anyway, I have changed my mind as I don't want to leave anything on my walkway. It is an eye sore and don't want to forget it when I run my snow blower ;) This, I have re routed the wire on the other side of the lawn with minimal traffic
Mar 18, 2012
55 posts
21 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
rocking23nf wrote: this, its common to have block heater extention cords on the sidewalks around here in the winter.
Your city obviously doesn't plow your side walks than. Cords out to vehicles over a public sidewalk would drive me nuts.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10056 posts
2651 upvotes
RHarrison wrote: Your city obviously doesn't plow your side walks than. Cords out to vehicles over a public sidewalk would drive me nuts.
with the exception of a few sidewalks, homeowners are responsible for clearing the sidewalks.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5957 posts
1784 upvotes
Montreal
rocking23nf wrote: with the exception of a few sidewalks, homeowners are responsible for clearing the sidewalks.
We're talking about public sidewalks and not private walkways, right? I don't know what it's like in other cities, but in Montreal, the city clears all sidewalks.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10056 posts
2651 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: We're talking about public sidewalks and not private walkways, right? I don't know what it's like in other cities, but in Montreal, the city clears all sidewalks.
in Edmonton the city does roads, and some common trails and paths, all sidewalks would be the business or home owners job to do. and you get a ticket if you don't.