• Jul 11th, 2015 9:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 5, 2013
52 posts
22 upvotes

How is shipping handled by Amazon.ca

Anyone know if they make you sign for the package ($370) or do they just leave it at your doorstep like Amazon.com?
12 replies
Apr 10, 2017
433 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
philmccox wrote: Anyone know if they make you sign for the package ($370) or do they just leave it at your doorstep like Amazon.com?
I havent ordered something of that value from Amazon.ca, but for lower cost items (150) they used ups standard carrier in GTA and due to weight, they attempted delivery once and then sent it to the nearest ups store where it was available for pickup next day.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
philmccox wrote: Anyone know if they make you sign for the package ($370) or do they just leave it at your doorstep like Amazon.com?
If it was sent via Canada Post, you can see when you view the tracking info., if signature is required, when you try to track it on the CP website...

More times than not, I have had items shipped via UPS or Purolator - if you view the tracking number, I seem to recall if it is indeed via Purolator they will always require your signature, OR a door sign, etc. to allow them to leave the package.

I would contact the service used once you have the tracking number to ask them if they will just leave it at the door, or if a signature is required, etc...

For a $370 item I would actually assume they will not just drop at the door, but it is good to ask, and at least a day or two, sometimes more, in advance, you will have the tracking number to be able to find that out if you phone, etc., or for Canada Post it should just state if they require a sig. once you try to track it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
baijuxp wrote: I havent ordered something of that value from Amazon.ca, but for lower cost items (150) they used ups standard carrier in GTA and due to weight, they attempted delivery once and then sent it to the nearest ups store where it was available for pickup next day.
Some people assume you have to pick it up from them at that point, but, you can call, and ask to reschedule a diff. delivery date when you know you will be home, if that is more convenient for you.

I believe it can be rescheduled once before you have to pick it up yourself.
Sep 30, 2009
210 posts
61 upvotes
Richmond
I find they just leave it at the door. I usually don't order things too expensive, but I did order an Xbox One and found it left outside my door.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1283 posts
676 upvotes
no signature required unless the item is valued at more than $1,300 dollars
[OP]
Dec 5, 2013
52 posts
22 upvotes
Whoa. Everyone has different experiences. I remember all my packages being left in my mailbox as they fitted there. Umm I going to need to ask them then.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6092 posts
636 upvotes
SW Ontario
andersb wrote: no signature required unless the item is valued at more than $1,300 dollars
This I believe is accurate. They have a threshold for signature required and that sounds right.

If you want confirmation just ask them in chat.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5869 posts
3874 upvotes
Even for cheap orders (less than $50), UPS sometimes asks for a signature.
Just last week, they wanted a signature for a $12 package from Amazon -shipped with UPS Express Saver.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6092 posts
636 upvotes
SW Ontario
hvwozq wrote: Even for cheap orders (less than $50), UPS sometimes asks for a signature.
Just last week, they wanted a signature for a $12 package from Amazon -shipped with UPS Express Saver.
That's different than Amazon requiring a signature. In that case it was ups wanting it to cover themselves. Not Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5869 posts
3874 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: That's different than Amazon requiring a signature. In that case it was ups wanting it to cover themselves. Not Amazon.
Who cares if it's Amazon or UPS? I had to sign for a $12 package that came from Amazon.ca, that is all that matters in this context.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6092 posts
636 upvotes
SW Ontario
hvwozq wrote: Who cares if it's Amazon or UPS? I had to sign for a $12 package that came from Amazon.ca, that is all that matters in this context.
My point is it doesn't mater the shipper. In this case. Any company shipping the same with that delivery driver would have done the same thing.

It's drivers discretion with ups.
Jan 1, 2007
481 posts
51 upvotes
When it's shipped by Amazon and not by a third party, I just shipped it to my nearest post office. I think Canada post calls it flexidelivery. That way you can pick it up at the post office and it's safe.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)