None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2444 posts
932 upvotes
Ontario

How to shop with no car

Just wondering what people who live in city's/suburban areas with no car (can have access to public transit) do when they go shopping.

How do you carry groceries or other large-ish items that normally would be easy to transport with a car?

Even if you walk or bus to the store how do you bring it all back? Do some people use those grocery trolley (looks like a rectangle box on wheels). Do you just suck it up and go hulk and carry bags on bags walking or on bus? Multiple trips?

Really makes me realize how convenient a car is.
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5769 posts
3741 upvotes
West Vancouver
No idea how.

That is why i own a car.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1447 posts
477 upvotes
Some people use the little trolleys you mentioned, and just carry bags/boxes on public transit. In general I imagine you'd just have to go more frequently or take a taxi / rent a car when necessary. I do one huge grocery shopping trip a week, which wouldn't be possible without a vehicle.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9144 posts
2815 upvotes
Dynasty12345 wrote: Just wondering what people who live in city's/suburban areas with no car (can have access to public transit) do when they go shopping.

How do you carry groceries or other large-ish items that normally would be easy to transport with a car?

Even if you walk or bus to the store how do you bring it all back? Do some people use those grocery trolley (looks like a rectangle box on wheels). Do you just suck it up and go hulk and carry bags on bags walking or on bus? Multiple trips?

eI have multiple grocery stores ~3km away. I'd walk regardless of having a car, and can carry a lot. Have carried piles of stuff the 10km back from walmart. Grocery shopping is a lot of use of the carshare cars. The seniors aroond take the bus or pull a cart
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4968 posts
3127 upvotes
There are different types of grocery shoppers. Some go multiple times a week for smaller overall hauls and while others prefer those larger grocery bills every 2 weeks or so.
If you don't have a car you can either do those mini trips on the way home from work/school carrying a bag or two each time OR if available consider using one of those rental car services where you can rent for like an hour or two then do those larger hauls whenever you need to.

In my early 20's when I didn't drive for a bit, I just went on shopping trips with my mom to the US or Costco and really stocked up each time.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29326 posts
14834 upvotes
Car share?
I have no idea how people shop without a car. Even when my car is down I rent a car.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19907 posts
6832 upvotes
Toronto
If necessary, splurge on a taxi, but only when there is a large amount of groceries.
I have no car, and I will never have a car or a driver's licence.
It's called a shopping buggy. I use it. Sometimes I use public transit with that buggy and sometimes I just go for a long walk (if weather is good)
It's good exercise.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21124 posts
5803 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Those trollies are pretty common for students who don't have cars, etc. Also, people have bicycles with racks and panniers that can be loaded up.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5882 posts
2266 upvotes
Kanata
It's inconvenient, but lots of people do it. I did it up until after uni till I got my first job. It isn't too bad, just pick up things when you're coming back from work, tag along with a friend / coworkers, ask friends to pick stuff up for you, use a trolley, carry bags on your shoulders. It's pretty good exercise as well. Really the only issue is coming back, so just have to suck it up one way! Maybe try Uber (is it legal yet?), kijji.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Banned
Jul 2, 2015
395 posts
66 upvotes
Canada
Groceries is NO issue, you can easily carry 3 grocery bags in each hand , so 6 in total. Go with a partner & you can do a week's grocery in 1 trip.
I find when I walk to a grocery store, I buy less junk food and only buy the essentials & healthy food..as I know I will have to carry it back with me :(
But the same trip if I drive, I buy unncessary & bulky stuff like pop, chips etc as I don't have to carry it with me & I can just throw it in my car.

So its not just walking to the grocery store that's healthy, what you buy when you have to carry all the heavy stuff with you often tends to be healthy :)
Penalty Box
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
124 upvotes
walmart.ca
loblaws.ca

uber grocery .com <--coming soon next year fall 2016
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Just more frequent trips, if you don't have a car your walking distance anyway and get good after work
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13829 posts
3193 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
You'd be surprised. Those stroller carts carry a ton of groceries. They're rated to 50 lbs for most models. That's more than most peeps with cars buy a week. Also, the Large size green bags they sell at No Frills cashiers comes real handy. Costs like $1.25 and can carry 30-40 lbs at a time. Very strong, sturdy, lasts long. Cant find the same strength bag for that price anywhere. You can roll them up and slip it in a backpack or large coat pocket. Comes in Medium size as well. I have a couple even tho I drive.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Apr 4, 2006
471 posts
81 upvotes
Burlington
In my neighbourhood some households use grocery gateway. Think it is operated by longos. They deliver groceries to your home.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2565 posts
2361 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Dynasty12345 wrote: Just wondering what people who live in city's/suburban areas with no car (can have access to public transit) do when they go shopping.

I lived in a suburb of NY a few years ago with out a car. I found groceries really tricky especially with a baby and toddler in tow. i had to get a fair bit of g cowries for 4 people, Ian's was tricky. The stroller helped at the time, but couldn't hold much with the baby in. I would think one of those stiller carts would do the trick though.

Some tips I did.
Frequent trips, which was hard, as I had to buy a fair bit for each day.
A cooler bag with wheels to keep my meat fresh
Good reusable cloth bags with big cabana hooks to hold the bags. If I was buying something bigger, then an additional trip was usually necessary or I could balance on top of the stroller.

Replace stroller with little cart.