Shopping Discussion

How should I accept payment for RFD/online sales?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2021 12:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25993 posts
10704 upvotes
Socially Distanced

How should I accept payment for RFD/online sales?

Typically when i sell on Kijjiji i insist on in person and cash. But i want to sell a Costco discount coupon on RFD and perhaps future stuff online (probably not future coupon codes after this one is gone but physical items).

From what i understand PayPal can be charged back even if delivered and the item is undamaged, is it still the best method or are other methods superior?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1208 posts
2185 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Cash or etransfer is the way to go. I would not recommend paypal for many reasons.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25993 posts
10704 upvotes
Socially Distanced
fordmaple wrote: Cash or etransfer is the way to go. I would not recommend paypal for many reasons.
Cash works for in person an i insist on it (i've had a few people offer e-transfer which i don't go for).
For online its not feasible, but e-transfer, how safe is it, can it be reversed, are there security implications for giving out my e-mail or accepting it?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1208 posts
2185 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Etransfer like paypal requires an email address or tel#. to associate the transfer. Can it be reversed.....highly unlikely. Security risk.....there's always risk with anything online but in my opinion its very low and you don't have to worry about paypal reversals, fees, arbitration...etc.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19448 posts
22565 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote: Cash works for in person an i insist on it (i've had a few people offer e-transfer which i don't go for).
For online its not feasible, but e-transfer, how safe is it, can it be reversed, are there security implications for giving out my e-mail or accepting it?
Just create a new email for transfers.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17987 posts
12680 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote: Just create a new email for transfers.
And make it auto-deposit so you don't need password etc. Once you get a etransfer, go to your bank account and verify it's good....then you can complete your half of the sale. I've been doing this and it's convenient.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25993 posts
10704 upvotes
Socially Distanced
gr8dlr wrote: And make it auto-deposit so you don't need password etc. Once you get a etransfer, go to your bank account and verify it's good....then you can complete your half of the sale. I've been doing this and it's convenient.
Autodeposit is more secure than a password?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25993 posts
10704 upvotes
Socially Distanced
engineered wrote: Just create a new email for transfers.
So the e-mail address does not have to be linked to the bank account if i can create one just to receive it?
Also are any banking details transferred by accepting an incoming transfer?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17987 posts
12680 upvotes
Markham
Quentin5 wrote: Autodeposit is more secure than a password?
Yes...and definitely more convenient as you don't have to do anything on the receiving end once setup

https://www.interac.ca/en/content/life/ ... sit-today/
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3523 posts
1634 upvotes
Ottawa
Setting up audotdeposit means your full legal name will be displayed to the sender.

On the otherhand, this protects you against someone cancelling an e-Transfer before you have a chance to deposit it, or if they provide you a bogus password.

Generally, e-Transfers can still be reversed though, if someone claims to their bank the account was compromised and the bank decides to step in. There's a few threads on this on RFD in the past.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3162 posts
4094 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Akitakara wrote: Setting up audotdeposit means your full legal name will be displayed to the sender.

On the otherhand, this protects you against someone cancelling an e-Transfer before you have a chance to deposit it, or if they provide you a bogus password.

Generally, e-Transfers can still be reversed though, if someone claims to their bank the account was compromised and the bank decides to step in. There's a few threads on this on RFD in the past.
How often will someone do this though? I'm guessing they can only use this excuse once to the bank, after that they will know he's commiting fraud. I'm not saying it's not possible but it's just really unrealistic because of all the hassle it will cause.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19448 posts
22565 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote: So the e-mail address does not have to be linked to the bank account if i can create one just to receive it?
Also are any banking details transferred by accepting an incoming transfer?
Correct. Just your name from what I recall.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29047 posts
14590 upvotes
Personally I'd accept crypto. Can't reverse crypto. But not many people have it.
EMT is option 2 and popular, but it can be reversed. It probably won't be unless it's a very large purchase.
Yup. If someone compromises your email address and the sender puts a password in the notes field (this happens A LOT) then goodbye money.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25993 posts
10704 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I decided to go with Interac e-transfers with a disposable e-mail address.

Thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts :)
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2096 posts
2290 upvotes
Toronto
Why disposable email address?
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25993 posts
10704 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Why disposable email address?
Its talked about above
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24173 posts
12216 upvotes
Toronto
They better have feedback (and a bit of it) and then proceed. Only way to operate on RFD. Feedback necessary. You decide payment afterwards
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares