None
[OP]
Jan 21, 2012
157 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto

How should I clean these maple pods?

Hi,

My backyard has a large Maple tree and it has been dropping a lot of pods. My backyard is filled with the pods as shown in the picture.

1. What is the best way to clean these pods?
2. How can I reduce these pods dropped by the tree?

Thanks.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nE9XTWA.jpg[/IMG]
10 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10150 posts
4424 upvotes
Vaughan
Eliminate from the source, your maple tree. It is impossible to eliminate the pods.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2008
1166 posts
591 upvotes
Edmonton
RaOne1 wrote: Hi,

My backyard has a large Maple tree and it has been dropping a lot of pods. My backyard is filled with the pods as shown in the picture.

1. What is the best way to clean these pods?
2. How can I reduce these pods dropped by the tree?

Thanks.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nE9XTWA.jpg[/IMG]
Leaf blower/vacuum. To reduce pods, trim branches or cut down tree.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Rake, elbow grease and effort.
The best I found was to suck them up after I raked them into a pile.
I have also set the mower on a lower stetting (lower to the ground) and that worked pretty well. Go over the lawn in side to side direction then again in up and down direction.(attach the bag to the mower)
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2181 posts
280 upvotes
Montreal
Shop Vac with a wide nozzle attachment. No, really. It worked wonders for me provided it is kept ~2" off the ground.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1286 posts
355 upvotes
I just mow over them with the bag attachment on the lawnmower. It isn't perfect but does a pretty fair job.
Dec 27, 2011
318 posts
30 upvotes
Stouffville
i have the same problem. sad thing is my backyard is surround with 4 maple trees belong to the city. they ar like 5-6 level high.. i am shopping a backpack blower now.
signature removed for self promotion - What is wrong with self promotion ?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2008
1166 posts
591 upvotes
Edmonton
nofai wrote: i have the same problem. sad thing is my backyard is surround with 4 maple trees belong to the city. they ar like 5-6 level high.. i am shopping a backpack blower now.
Contact the city to request they trim the branches that overhang your yard. If they say they won't do it, you should be able to have them trimmed yourself so it doesn't encrouch your yard. Is your back yard fenced, cause if not, when you get your blower, blow the pods into the alley. You see that here all the time in the spring, the landscaping crews will blow winter debris like gravel and leaves from boulevard trees onto the city streets which later get picked up by the city when they clean the streets.
Dec 27, 2011
318 posts
30 upvotes
Stouffville
i manage borrow a wired blower and give my lawn a try ,,, not even 1 pod will move , so i dont think the blow method will work .. i was thinking to get the roybi backpack blower from homedepot tmr .. tried find on internet .. no one has a good method to clean those pods up ,.,
signature removed for self promotion - What is wrong with self promotion ?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5755 posts
3589 upvotes
just mow over them. They will be gone In a couple of weeks. Doesn't look like you have much grass though.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1202 posts
829 upvotes
Mow over them and don't worry about it? Do you guys not like trees or something? You're lucky you have such a nice large maple tree. Most maples are really nice trees.