• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2015 2:37 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 8, 2015
2 posts

How should I get a used car inspected?

I'm currently looking at a Mitsubishi that's had a $10,000 accident claim on the carproof but it claims no frame damage. I want to get the car inspected to be sure that the repair was done properly but I don't know how to go about it. I called a nearby Mitsubishi dealership and asked if they do this sort of stuff but they told me they only do Safety inspections because they do not have the proper equipment for such an inspection. They recommended to me the body shop that was attached to them however, when I called them they told me that they don't get involved in this sort of stuff. Does anyone have experience with this and can help direct me on where to get this sort of inspection done and what sort of service I should look after to get the right inspection done for the car?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38191 posts
24381 upvotes
Center of Universe
Too much hassle, just walk away!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
walk away as per above post. Too much risk and possible headaches later on.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
$10K damage is significant. I would want the accident details to determine if it is worth buying. Even then, I would be hesitant.
Improper repair and you could be left with a car on the side of the road or worse, in a shop with a huge bill. You can hide an awful lot with bondo and a paint job. Look at at all those TV shows where they take a POS and in 3 weeks have it looking like a show car.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1274 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
I'll walk away as well. You can't possibly be getting a good enough discount to warrant all the trouble and risk. Depending on what car, $10k damage is near being written off especially if it's a lancer. Does it have a clean title? I'll be weary about it and just find another.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6222 posts
3095 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Well at any rate, a body shop that does extensive collision work would be were to go. Just make sure it's not the same one that did the initial repairs. Not that there is likely to be anything wrong with them, only that you want a different opinion. As others have said if not a substantial discount walk away.
That said I bought an accent in 93 that was an almost write off that was repaired by a well known and respected body shop and it was a great car. And substantially discounted when I bought it. Bought it from the body shop with a complete list of what was damaged and what was repaired. So the thing is this kind of deal really depends on the situation and how much you know or can find out about the car before you buy it, and if all the particulars add up to what you feel comfortable getting into.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1695 posts
129 upvotes
York Region
i used to work at a body shop in Richmond Hill and saw the whole process of vehicle repair...
I would say 50-55% of this amount is labour....but I would still not buy it. JUST RUN AWAY FROM THIS CAR! not worth it imho!

I wouldn't even buy a car with $3k in damages...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38191 posts
24381 upvotes
Center of Universe
edkate wrote: i used to work at a body shop in Richmond Hill and saw the whole process of vehicle repair...
I would say 50-55% of this amount is labour....but I would still not buy it. JUST RUN AWAY FROM THIS CAR! not worth it imho!

I wouldn't even buy a car with $3k in damages...
Everyone needs to stop worrying so much about the total dollar value in repairs and actually worry about what was repaired.
There are many vehicles out there that would cost a few thousand just to replace a bumper+sensors, with paint and labor!!!
[OP]
Jul 8, 2015
2 posts
This. I just got off the phone with someone who owns a family owned auto shop and they told me they have the exact vehicle (a new-gen Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart) in the shop being repaired at the moment. He told me that the cost for the parts for this vehicle are very high. For example, a whole headlight assembly costs 2K and a bumper alone will go close to a grand. I have found myself the shop to go to for the inspection (Miltowne Collision Inc.), the person I was on the phone with was very helpful! For those who need to do something similar in future, be sure to use MTO approved shops for such an inspection, some may even do it for free or at a very small cost.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)