• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2019 8:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 11, 2018
199 posts
309 upvotes

How small is your condo?

I was browsing the website of a builder located in a large city and the smallest condo for sale is 375 sq ft. I couldn't believe it. Other 'larger' unit were 401, 407, 458.

I mean, you must be suffocating in such a tiny living area. Hell my garage is 660 sqft! To those who live is such small places how do you manage?

Someone once said the smaller your house/condo the more you spend time outside.
This thread has been certified SE (Shallow Enough) for all readers - 😂 ROTFL!!!!!!!!
65 replies
Jan 17, 2009
535 posts
20 upvotes
my place is 600 sqft for 2 people, its big enough for just the two of us, but when people come over its definitely a bit small
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2721 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
You pay more to live closer to the city. Many people rather live in a smaller unit than commute 1.5 hours each way taking public transit to work.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1642 posts
1243 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 5:58 pm
I didn't ask why people are living in a condo. I asked how small is your condo and how do you manage?
I've lived in 500 sqft and found it was too much space for a single guy

Especially with current technology, all we need is a TV and everything else is on a screen of some sort and very little space required nowadays for storage of things unlike in the past. No need to store books, CDs, VHS etc

Other than a couch, tv and a dresser, what's needed for single person or a couple?

I live in a 2600 sqft detached house now and I use my bedroom to sleep, watch TV in family room and cook/eat in kitchen

All the extra space is just used to have furniture I never use and walk further to washroom, laundry etc. I've never eaten at my dining room table once since I moved here 4 years ago, I don't use the "great room", or living room that's attached to dining room

I have 4full bathroom and a powder room. We use one bathroom. We eat at kitchen counter on stools

What the extra space does is allow me to be lazy to accumulate boxes that I drive to Depot to throw out once every couple of months lol
Last edited by StatsGuy on Feb 14th, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4684 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
StatsGuy wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 6:37 pm
I've lived in 500 sqft and found it was too much space for a single guy

Especially with current technology, all we need is a TV and everything else is on a screen of some sort and very little space required nowadays for storage of things unlike in the past. No need to store books, CDs, VHS etc

Other than a couch, tv and a dresser, what's needed for single person or a couple?
I'll fully admit that one of the main reasons I moved into a bigger apartment was that my old one was too small for my dvd collection.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11369 posts
6190 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
1800 sqft

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jan 10, 2009
820 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
My condo is 1000 sqft. Plenty big enough for the two of us and all our stuff. And we’re collectors. However we’re not of the North American need space mentality. We’re from the UK originally where our last house was a perfectly normal 760 sqft 3 bedroom house with perhaps 200 taken up by the stairwell and landing/hall which wasn’t usable space. Move into a condo in downtown and it’s so much more space than we or any of our families have ever seen.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8422 posts
1000 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The smallest I've lived in was around 600sqft. As others have said, it depends on your lifestyle. I didn't have any pets/kids so it was just me and my gf when she would come visit. Therefore similar to Statsguy, the main things I needed were a basic kitchen, a TV and a bed.

Like the OP mentioned, typically cities where space is restricted, people will find hobbies or activities that involve not being at home. For example home gym vs joining a gym/sports group. I currently live in a condo in the city but I know lots of people who have houses outside the city too and the difference in lifestyle is pretty noticeable. Condo people tend to be more about activities/services whereas home people tend to be more about goods/items.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8594 posts
3671 upvotes
ak-47 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 5:19 pm
You pay more to live closer to the city. Many people rather live in a smaller unit than commute 1.5 hours each way taking public transit to work.
I live in the city and work in the city yet my commute was over an hour today. My colleague lives in Whitby and his commute is consistently shorter. That is the mess of a transit sytem we have here.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1937 posts
33 upvotes
My condo is 615 sqft (has a 30 ft? balcony i think); I don't live in it though as it's rented out. I am currently living in probably a similar-sized apartment in Manhattan with my wife.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1642 posts
1243 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 7:46 pm
Quite interesting. My house has 5 bedrooms/5 bathrooms. But only 2 bedrooms are used as bedrooms. I find the other bedrooms very useful. For example, one bedroom on the second floor is used as a home theatre. Another bedroom is used as my office. And another one for my dog. The den is used as exercise room (treadmill and elliptical). Sunken living room is for the piano. But like you the formal dining room has been rarely used.

Before living here I was in a 1200 sqft condo and although it was very nice, you can't beat having more space. In particular now that I have a large dog.

I just find tiny condo to be intoxicating. Almost like a prison cell :(
What do you need in a home office? A laptop and a mouse? Maybe a printer? with everything portable on a screen now , office can be anywhere

Home theater? Condos have those , why clutter house with a treadmill and elliptical? Just goto gym downstairs in a condo. Need quiet place to work? Goto the library/study in a condo

What's the difference between a home office and library/study? Curious

I can see how having kids would require more space though I think anything 800sqft or so is enough for one kid. Def not the 2600 sqft suburb model. In older gens when people had more kids, homes were around the 1000sqft range even for detached .
Aug 16, 2011
356 posts
221 upvotes
OTTAWA
StatsGuy wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 9:44 am
What do you need in a home office? A laptop and a mouse? Maybe a printer? with everything portable on a screen now , office can be anywhere

Home theater? Condos have those , why clutter house with a treadmill and elliptical? Just goto gym downstairs in a condo. Need quiet place to work? Goto the library/study in a condo

What's the difference between a home office and library/study? Curious

I can see how having kids would require more space though I think anything 800sqft or so is enough for one kid. Def not the 2600 sqft suburb model. In older gens when people had more kids, homes were around the 1000sqft range even for detached .
Two words - lifestyle choice... i enjoy my backyard bbq especially in the summer
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1642 posts
1243 upvotes
Jeremyl007 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 11:00 am
Two words - lifestyle choice... i enjoy my backyard bbq especially in the summer
Condos have Webber gas bbqs in terraced areas with sinks/landscaping

When we goto BBQ gatherings, we goto friends who lives in condo due to better equipment and more space .
Aug 20, 2015
433 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 11:49 am
Most often, one lives where one can afford it. There is no need to debate the details.
You asked how people manage living in condos and he provided reasons. If there's no need to debate the details why make this thread?
Jul 14, 2009
190 posts
50 upvotes
763 sqft. I would do things very differently if I could go back to when I bought this condo. For one thing, $500 /mo maintenance is definitely something I didn't sign up for.