• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2019 8:35 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8423 posts
1000 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Condo fees are just part of maintenance. Paying condo fees or an redoing your roof are all part of home ownership just different types. Like all things you should do your research. If you don’t plan on using a pool or gym or whatever amenities don’t buy a condo w those so you don’t pay fees for those. It’s the same decision in a house. If you don’t want to maintain a pool in a house you don’t buy a house w pool.

This thread shouldn’t devolve into a which choice is better because the answer is really « it depends ».
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6818 posts
3978 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 7:46 pm
Quite interesting. My house has 5 bedrooms/5 bathrooms. But only 2 bedrooms are used as bedrooms. I find the other bedrooms very useful. For example, one bedroom on the second floor is used as a home theatre. Another bedroom is used as my office. And another one for my dog. The den is used as exercise room (treadmill and elliptical). Sunken living room is for the piano. But like you the formal dining room has been rarely used.

Before living here I was in a 1200 sqft condo and although it was very nice, you can't beat having more space. In particular now that I have a large dog.

I just find tiny condo to be intoxicating. Almost like a prison cell :(
We have a 4 bedroom house (2 adults and 2 dogs). It isn't huge (2100sf or so). Our master bedroom, one bedroom set up as a guest room, one bedroom is our office with a couch that can also fold into a bed, one bedroom is my music room with my guitars, drums, keyboard, turntable and all my vinyl, amps, microphones, etc. In the basement (unfinished) we have our projector and movie screen plus a couch and chairs for movie nights, deep freezers, storage (crap lol), and my treadmill. On the main floor we have our family room area, breakfast room (really the dogs' area during the day when we are at work with their beds and everything, kitchn, dining room, and our more formal living room. We love and use the whole house. I would go insane in 400sf even if it were just me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6818 posts
3978 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jeremyl007 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 11:00 am
Two words - lifestyle choice... i enjoy my backyard bbq especially in the summer
And we enjoy all that, plus our in ground pool in the summer. I wouldn't trade our space for anything. I'm usually at work within 30 minutes, less on a good day. A bit more today and yesterday (weather).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6818 posts
3978 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 2:15 pm
Yeah I forgot about the condo fees. In many cases it is almost like paying rent. And on top of that you now have a mortgage. And condo fees do increase. Not to mention the sometimes insane condo rules.
I lived in a condo for 8 years. Drove me nuts with the stupid rules and "politics" of the place. Never again if I can help it.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
1589 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
tsingoo wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:13 pm
You asked how people manage living in condos and he provided reasons. If there's no need to debate the details why make this thread?
I agree, more over I don't understand OP's desire to know how people manage to live in small condo, when he moved to house. I guess point of this post is to show off and justify his decision to move out of the city.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3030 posts
1804 upvotes
GTA
Thread title is missing 'm' at the end of the sentence.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9530 posts
678 upvotes
Muskoka
We live in Muskoka now, but when the kids move out, I can see us possibly keeping a very small condo in Toronto. A pied a terre, they are called. Basically your own hotel room for visits. I have always liked the idea of small, simple living.

But I would never live in the city again while also needing to get around for work. Everyone there complains about traffic and transit, but trust me, you really can;t understand the insanity of it until you move somewhere else and then come back to visit it. People acclimatize to the madness, but are losing substantial parts of their limited lifespan. Plus the stress of it. It's fun to visit once in awhile, and not need to be anywhere at any certain time.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3030 posts
1804 upvotes
GTA
Bullseye wrote: We live in Muskoka now, but when the kids move out, I can see us possibly keeping a very small condo in Toronto. A pied a terre, they are called. Basically your own hotel room for visits. I have always liked the idea of small, simple living.

But I would never live in the city again while also needing to get around for work. Everyone there complains about traffic and transit, but trust me, you really can;t understand the insanity of it until you move somewhere else and then come back to visit it. People acclimatize to the madness, but are losing substantial parts of their limited lifespan. Plus the stress of it. It's fun to visit once in awhile, and not need to be anywhere at any certain time.
Can we stay with you in Muskoka for a bit, to understand it?
Jun 28, 2018
99 posts
142 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
I lived in a 700 square foot condo for 7 years. It was big enough for just me solo but it didn't have a proper dining room table, just a bar height table with 3 chairs. It was big enough for me but it was just me and I couldn't really invite too many people. I can't imagine 2 or more people living in a space that big but I sold it last year to a couple expecting a child while I moved into a 2000 square foot house with the (now) fiance. In fact, pretty much every potential buyer was a couple or some sort of a partnership and they all complained that it was small for two people .... duhhhh. It was a 1+1 meant for a single person but the market has changed and few single people can afford a mortgage like that any more.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2723 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
I can't imagine how people can cook with this type of stove top, which is now getting common in 400-500 sq ft units.

Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1312 posts
373 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
ak-47 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 5:58 pm
I can't imagine how people can cook with this type of stove top, which is now getting common in 400-500 sq ft units.

Where do you wash dishes? That’s crazy!
Jul 10, 2018
477 posts
424 upvotes
Those studios are meant for young single professionals that don't do much cooking. Maybe the intention doesn't reflect the reality on the ground. I really don't know.

I lived alone in a 3+1 bedroom house in the city for 9 years. Didn't use half the rooms, but extra space is nice, especially for storage. I decided to lease it to families who can enjoy it more and earn myself extra money.

I live in a 1030 sq ft condo which suits my lifestyle. No shovelling, landscaping, lawn mowing, smiling at neighbors. It's carefree living. I miss having a driveway (it's better than elevators) and I'm not a fan of condo rules, fire alarm tests, and so on, but it's a trade off that makes sense for me.

My advice for those living in a house - less is more. I bought too much furniture while living in my house and now most of it is in storage costing me money. Never thought I'd live in a condo (having achieved "the dream" of house ownership) yet here I am. Lol
Mar 9, 2012
676 posts
268 upvotes
I live in 530 sq ft loft condo in Montreal and it works just great for me. I have a wall-bed, a mini ping-long table, computer, computer table couch and TV and all appliances fitting in the small space. I don't need more than that to be happy with my small income. People need to learn to live in small places to save money, build emergency funds, pay less taxes, etc. Market value is already up 100K+ and I've been living there for about 5 years. Life is great!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7818 posts
4802 upvotes
Agreed a 500 sq ft condo is meant for a young professional, not a family.

Considering millennials these days they pretty much eat almost every meal out now.... so whats the use of a kitchen even?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8601 posts
3681 upvotes
It's all about layout. I used to live in a 500 sqft condo that had no hallways and no other waste of space. Full size kitchen, good size bedroom and living/dining room. If I remained single and still lived the bachelor life, it would have been adequate for my lifestyle. I didn't cook much at that time.