• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2019 8:35 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2602 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
I can't imagine how people can cook with this type of stove top, which is now getting common in 400-500 sq ft units.

Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1299 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
ak-47 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 5:58 pm
I can't imagine how people can cook with this type of stove top, which is now getting common in 400-500 sq ft units.

Where do you wash dishes? That’s crazy!
Jul 10, 2018
442 posts
383 upvotes
Those studios are meant for young single professionals that don't do much cooking. Maybe the intention doesn't reflect the reality on the ground. I really don't know.

I lived alone in a 3+1 bedroom house in the city for 9 years. Didn't use half the rooms, but extra space is nice, especially for storage. I decided to lease it to families who can enjoy it more and earn myself extra money.

I live in a 1030 sq ft condo which suits my lifestyle. No shovelling, landscaping, lawn mowing, smiling at neighbors. It's carefree living. I miss having a driveway (it's better than elevators) and I'm not a fan of condo rules, fire alarm tests, and so on, but it's a trade off that makes sense for me.

My advice for those living in a house - less is more. I bought too much furniture while living in my house and now most of it is in storage costing me money. Never thought I'd live in a condo (having achieved "the dream" of house ownership) yet here I am. Lol
Mar 9, 2012
650 posts
244 upvotes
I live in 530 sq ft loft condo in Montreal and it works just great for me. I have a wall-bed, a mini ping-long table, computer, computer table couch and TV and all appliances fitting in the small space. I don't need more than that to be happy with my small income. People need to learn to live in small places to save money, build emergency funds, pay less taxes, etc. Market value is already up 100K+ and I've been living there for about 5 years. Life is great!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7377 posts
4347 upvotes
Agreed a 500 sq ft condo is meant for a young professional, not a family.

Considering millennials these days they pretty much eat almost every meal out now.... so whats the use of a kitchen even?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
7163 posts
2524 upvotes
It's all about layout. I used to live in a 500 sqft condo that had no hallways and no other waste of space. Full size kitchen, good size bedroom and living/dining room. If I remained single and still lived the bachelor life, it would have been adequate for my lifestyle. I didn't cook much at that time.
Dec 30, 2012
688 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Younger people today don’t tend to acquire masses of “stuff” as previous generations did. They spend their money (what little they have) on “experiences” - trips, restaurants, etc. Therefore living in a space deemed tiny by an older person is very realistic for them. Less clutter, smaller surface area to clean. And as someone above noted, small living quarters are very normal in Europe even amongst wealthy people.
Dec 30, 2012
688 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
ak-47 wrote:

Why is it so hard to imagine? It’s an element. It heats up. You put a pot or pan on top. There, you’re cooking, just as you would on a full size stove.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9500 posts
625 upvotes
Muskoka
TheSinner wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 7:45 pm
smiling at neighbors
So weird. Since when is this a downside in life?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2753 posts
2169 upvotes
ak-47 wrote:

You can't imagine, but you're gonna have to. This has been a setup in 30sqm asian condos for years. Now 30sqm is a luxury and the new standard is 21sqm.

A while back I posted a link where someone in my building (Toronto DT) was renting a studio without any kitchen or appliances for almost $1,500. You want a dinner, go to Tim's or Sobeys.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8217 posts
890 upvotes
Montreal, QC
While the justification to use shoebox condos in Canada (with our massive land sprawls) may be foreign to some, it's a very common lifestyle for people in larger cities in Europe & Asia (and certain places like NYC also in North American). Most shoebox condos are indeed made for single people who aren't projected to cook larger amounts at a time. Likewise, they aren't projected to store large amounts of food so the fridges are small.

There's one building near my place where they use half size fridges which sounded super weird to me, but my cousin who works in real estate told him that building rents a lot to European and they don't mind at all since it's what a lot of them are used to back in Europe (having a small fridge and going to the grocery store every day ion the way back from work).

It's really a different lifestyle.
Aug 16, 2011
236 posts
124 upvotes
OTTAWA
I have ones that can expand to 6 inches and is quite flexible in ensuring I have space to live in, on good days my condo can expand up to ten... Very flexible build.. Depending on the mood and flexibility... My condo fits both myself and my partner very comfortably and we feel good using it... The builders name started with T but it wasn't Tridel
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2602 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
civiclease wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 4:47 am
Why is it so hard to imagine? It’s an element. It heats up. You put a pot or pan on top. There, you’re cooking, just as you would on a full size stove.
Yes, I should've clarified that I am an avid home cook myself. I passed on condos with 24" cook tops because the largest element (7 to 8") wasn't big enough to fit a standard 9.5" stainless steel fry pan. For example, a 9.5" fry pan is necessary to fit a ribeye steak. And so I had to find condos with a standard 30" stove.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
7163 posts
2524 upvotes
There are some good furniture places out there that specialize in furniture in tight spots. The euro stores are ahead of us in that regard. The micro condo is not new...it’s new to Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6399 posts
3590 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ak-47 wrote:

That would not work for me at all (I cook), but so many people just use their kitchens for "show" these days and don't even cook (or know how to cook). This would not work for anyone who actually likes to cook meals.