Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6866 posts
4011 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
deathmander2002 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 9:13 pm
I currently rent a tiny ~150 sq ft studio apartment in Montreal for near $700 per month,
because I am a frigging cheapskate and paranoid about my job earnings prospects for the future.
I have experience corporate consultancy layoffs before (RE: 2010 wall street market crashes).
Oh well, a poor man gonna poor! LOL. Living a simple life is easier to manage :)

Don't worry too much about me though, I am aware I am still much better off than orphans in very poor or war torn regions like Africa / Afghanistan ... etc.
It's all in one's prospective eh?
150sf is barely even a bedroom size. $700 seems ridiculously expensive for that in Montreal.
Jun 4, 2013
103 posts
71 upvotes
Vancouver
Used to live in a 505sq ft one bedroom apartment. Is actually big enough for 2 people because of the layout. There are no hallways and not wasted space with a full size gas stove and fridge too. The only thing that's bad is there are no bedroom door. If they fit a bedroom door the place would really be small and a sliding door would be weird.

Sold it and move into a 825sq ft 2bed 2bath apartment and I feel some of the space are wasted. The 2nd bedroom is just empty as I don't use it. But having 2 bathroom is nice when guest comes over. Also there are more space to store my clothing so I don't have to put away clothing in storage locker.

Even with 505sq ft apartment I have inited over 10 people over for dinner with no issue. space is a bit tight but it works.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1595 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
1100 square feet 2+1(other units rent as 3 bedroom) and 1.5 bath with reasonable (~60cent per sqf fees). We purchased a while ago...

5 minute walk from Union Station.

Don't want a house. Love the condo and the lifestyle (and saving the massive time/financial cost of commuting).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6866 posts
4011 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
spintheblackcircle wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 12:05 pm
1100 square feet 2+1(other units rent as 3 bedroom) and 1.5 bath with reasonable (~60cent per sqf fees). We purchased a while ago...

5 minute walk from Union Station.

Don't want a house. Love the condo and the lifestyle (and saving the massive time/financial cost of commuting).
1100sf is a nice sized condo.
Apr 15, 2017
29 posts
11 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 12:31 am
150sf is barely even a bedroom size. $700 seems ridiculously expensive for that in Montreal.
Yes $700 for 150sf may seem overpriced, but location location location ... right near Montreal downtown core with plenty of restaurants and shopping centers nearby, which I can easily go out for anytime I want.

Anyways regarding how I manage: the unit I have has no separate wall / room divider except for a small bathroom near the front door. No divider means more flexible space: no divider even between the main room to the small kitchenette containing 4-electric plate stove and fridge. I brought my own cheap microwave.
All I have is a easily-movable single mattress, a big table with my laptop, small dining table, a tiny wardrobe drawer used for books & documents storage too, and still have extra room to store a bike or two. All I need for home entertainment is laptop and books - internet & electric * heat all included. Who needs a big TV when you can have netflix/ youtube/ web TVs ? Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Also my "backyard" would be just going out to nearby big parks & the big Mont Royale, anytime when I need my dose of nature.
Of course I live alone there with no pets - I would think this is too small for anybody more.

The downside is super thin wall, I can easily hear my neighbor talk, etc. That is why earplugs are essential.
I still think this is better than living homeless as street hobos!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6866 posts
4011 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
deathmander2002 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 3:01 pm
Yes $700 for 150sf may seem overpriced, but location location location ... right near Montreal downtown core with plenty of restaurants and shopping centers nearby, which I can easily go out for anytime I want.

Anyways regarding how I manage: the unit I have has no separate wall / room divider except for a small bathroom near the front door. No divider means more flexible space: no divider even between the main room to the small kitchenette containing 4-electric plate stove and fridge. I brought my own cheap microwave.
All I have is a easily-movable single mattress, a big table with my laptop, small dining table, a tiny wardrobe drawer used for books & documents storage too, and still have extra room to store a bike or two. All I need for home entertainment is laptop and books - internet & electric * heat all included. Who needs a big TV when you can have netflix/ youtube/ web TVs ? Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Also my "backyard" would be just going out to nearby big parks & the big Mont Royale, anytime when I need my dose of nature.
Of course I live alone there with no pets - I would think this is too small for anybody more.

The downside is super thin wall, I can easily hear my neighbor talk, etc. That is why earplugs are essential.
I still think this is better than living homeless as street hobos!
I don't know how you stand it. Sounds not much more than a jail cell to me.