• Mar 8th, 2019 8:35 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7394 posts
4367 upvotes
RSXPrem wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 8:39 am
Speak for yourself, both my wife and I are young professionals and we cook at least 6 times per week. This setup would never work even for some of the most basic meals. Eating out is generally way less healthy than a home cooked meal.
Again... said young professional... not professionals.

Clearly you and your wife are now a family (maybe not I dunno) so clearly it may or may not suit your needs.. in which case you would need to find a bigger unit.

Many people in Toronto in finance and accounting and marketing are early to late 20s and unmarried so the need for them to have a 1000 sq ft unit is a bit much... of course if they can afford it (and some can) then go right ahead, if you can’t then a simple 500 Sq ft with a simple kitchen setup will be good enough.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4674 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
My condo is 750sqft and it's way too much space for 1 person. 600sqft with a good layout is more than sufficient.

Space isn't the issue - quality of life is. I look at guys living in the houses in the suburbs spending hours a day sitting in their cars commuting back and forth and just can't imagine how terrible that must be. Complete waste of life.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
49025 posts
14447 upvotes
johnsmithy wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 11:08 pm
I use to live in a 400 sq. ft. (20'x20') loft with tons of light when I was single. Tiny kitchenette and small bathroom with shower, toilet and sink. It was awesome and perfect.
What happened after the wedding?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10532 posts
2147 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, ppl are kinda spoiled in N Amer. I came from a HK apartment a tad over 500sqft (usable) and never thought it was small, in fact, it felt big and was for their stds; it was even a TWO bedroom haha. The designs are more efficient generally-speaking and they have their priorities, e.g. my bathroom and kitchen were smallish but the other rooms were quite 'big'.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jan 30, 2019
21 posts
2 upvotes
I live in 600 sq. ft. and I find it to be enough for one person. The layout of smaller condos makes a huge difference. I was at a friend's with the same about of space, but different layout and I felt boxed in. Mine is completely open concept (except for bedroom, laundry room and bathroom) so the I have a U-shaped kitchen with room for a dining set, a desk and a 3 seater sofa all in one place.

Most of the 600 sq. ft. condos I see being built these days (and some of the 500-ish) have a den - either with a door or not. I can configure my space the way I want it in the big room, so it feels less boxed in, even if I don't have the 9 foot ceilings.
Apr 15, 2017
5 posts
I currently rent a tiny ~150 sq ft studio apartment in Montreal for near $700 per month,
because I am a frigging cheapskate and paranoid about my job earnings prospects for the future.
I have experience corporate consultancy layoffs before (RE: 2010 wall street market crashes).
Oh well, a poor man gonna poor! LOL. Living a simple life is easier to manage :)

Don't worry too much about me though, I am aware I am still much better off than orphans in very poor or war torn regions like Africa / Afghanistan ... etc.
It's all in one's prospective eh?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6405 posts
3595 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
deathmander2002 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 9:13 pm
I currently rent a tiny ~150 sq ft studio apartment in Montreal for near $700 per month,
because I am a frigging cheapskate and paranoid about my job earnings prospects for the future.
I have experience corporate consultancy layoffs before (RE: 2010 wall street market crashes).
Oh well, a poor man gonna poor! LOL. Living a simple life is easier to manage :)

Don't worry too much about me though, I am aware I am still much better off than orphans in very poor or war torn regions like Africa / Afghanistan ... etc.
It's all in one's prospective eh?
150sf is barely even a bedroom size. $700 seems ridiculously expensive for that in Montreal.
Jun 4, 2013
56 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver
Used to live in a 505sq ft one bedroom apartment. Is actually big enough for 2 people because of the layout. There are no hallways and not wasted space with a full size gas stove and fridge too. The only thing that's bad is there are no bedroom door. If they fit a bedroom door the place would really be small and a sliding door would be weird.

Sold it and move into a 825sq ft 2bed 2bath apartment and I feel some of the space are wasted. The 2nd bedroom is just empty as I don't use it. But having 2 bathroom is nice when guest comes over. Also there are more space to store my clothing so I don't have to put away clothing in storage locker.

Even with 505sq ft apartment I have inited over 10 people over for dinner with no issue. space is a bit tight but it works.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1583 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
1100 square feet 2+1(other units rent as 3 bedroom) and 1.5 bath with reasonable (~60cent per sqf fees). We purchased a while ago...

5 minute walk from Union Station.

Don't want a house. Love the condo and the lifestyle (and saving the massive time/financial cost of commuting).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6405 posts
3595 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
spintheblackcircle wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 12:05 pm
1100 square feet 2+1(other units rent as 3 bedroom) and 1.5 bath with reasonable (~60cent per sqf fees). We purchased a while ago...

5 minute walk from Union Station.

Don't want a house. Love the condo and the lifestyle (and saving the massive time/financial cost of commuting).
1100sf is a nice sized condo.
Apr 15, 2017
5 posts
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 12:31 am
150sf is barely even a bedroom size. $700 seems ridiculously expensive for that in Montreal.
Yes $700 for 150sf may seem overpriced, but location location location ... right near Montreal downtown core with plenty of restaurants and shopping centers nearby, which I can easily go out for anytime I want.

Anyways regarding how I manage: the unit I have has no separate wall / room divider except for a small bathroom near the front door. No divider means more flexible space: no divider even between the main room to the small kitchenette containing 4-electric plate stove and fridge. I brought my own cheap microwave.
All I have is a easily-movable single mattress, a big table with my laptop, small dining table, a tiny wardrobe drawer used for books & documents storage too, and still have extra room to store a bike or two. All I need for home entertainment is laptop and books - internet & electric * heat all included. Who needs a big TV when you can have netflix/ youtube/ web TVs ? Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Also my "backyard" would be just going out to nearby big parks & the big Mont Royale, anytime when I need my dose of nature.
Of course I live alone there with no pets - I would think this is too small for anybody more.

The downside is super thin wall, I can easily hear my neighbor talk, etc. That is why earplugs are essential.
I still think this is better than living homeless as street hobos!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6405 posts
3595 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
deathmander2002 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 3:01 pm
Yes $700 for 150sf may seem overpriced, but location location location ... right near Montreal downtown core with plenty of restaurants and shopping centers nearby, which I can easily go out for anytime I want.

Anyways regarding how I manage: the unit I have has no separate wall / room divider except for a small bathroom near the front door. No divider means more flexible space: no divider even between the main room to the small kitchenette containing 4-electric plate stove and fridge. I brought my own cheap microwave.
All I have is a easily-movable single mattress, a big table with my laptop, small dining table, a tiny wardrobe drawer used for books & documents storage too, and still have extra room to store a bike or two. All I need for home entertainment is laptop and books - internet & electric * heat all included. Who needs a big TV when you can have netflix/ youtube/ web TVs ? Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Also my "backyard" would be just going out to nearby big parks & the big Mont Royale, anytime when I need my dose of nature.
Of course I live alone there with no pets - I would think this is too small for anybody more.

The downside is super thin wall, I can easily hear my neighbor talk, etc. That is why earplugs are essential.
I still think this is better than living homeless as street hobos!
I don't know how you stand it. Sounds not much more than a jail cell to me.