• Apr 15th, 2020 3:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1840 posts
1354 upvotes
GTA West

How to Stick Shingle Tab Down

I lost a couple of shingle tabs that lifted and broke off during high wind. I want to stick them down but I'm not sure about the best product to use. Right now I can't go browsing at Home Depot.

Anyone have a recommendation? I would like the tabs to stick well enough to withstand the next high wind.

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3234 posts
2197 upvotes
Toronto
Lifted AND broke off? As in they're no longer attached to the original shingle? Probably best to just leave them off if they're not exposing the roof/causing water to run under the shingles below. If a nail is exposed hit it with some roofing sealant.

You could tack them down with roofing nails and again cover with sealant. If it's significant damage call a roofing company and have it repaired properly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9004 posts
10283 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Drthorne wrote: Clear roof patch at Home Depot, used in a caulking gun

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/black- ... 1000180645
Yep...good stuff. Here is a similar in black. Used on my shed roof that kept getting shingles blown off.

Once the adhesive on a shingle get dry and then blows over.... and sand and debris coat the strip it’s just eventually gonna blow it off.

I put a quarter sized dollop on each side of the bottom of each tab when I replaced the problem shingles. And I actually used some older 3 tab shingles I had that were from the original batch. Zero issues since.

https://www.rona.ca/en/waterproof-aspha ... ml-0491066
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16022 posts
17285 upvotes
Oakville
Also, while you're up there, be sure to give other tabs a small pull to make sure they're sealed down so it doesn't happen again. If they're not, glue them. A small stick or tool can speed this up.
And be careful up there, this is not a good time to be going to the hospital.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1359 posts
1469 upvotes
West GTA
I used a rustoleum brand, 'ultimate wet patch', and generously layered it below the shingle. I made sure to apply a bit at the top so water wouldn't run under the applied shingle. It was great stuff, the shingle's locked in and you can't even tell it got ripped off. Came in a caulking gun tube. It's really easy, takes a few minutes to do.

Also, after being up there to do some more complex stuff I know for sure I never want to do any material roofing work. It sucked enormously.