• May 6th, 2018 12:39 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20199 posts
2725 upvotes
Out west

How to stop dog marking outside

Whats a good outside deterrant to stop neighbours digs from marking, We have a hot tub that constantly is getting marked on. We don't live in the city, so it could be anyones dog.

Is there a spray a person can use. I keep wiping off the areas but it seems to just get worse. Im sure other stuff in our yard is getting marked as well, but this I notice since it is on our deck and see it al the time
72 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8817 posts
5781 upvotes
Kootenays
Bigger dog!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1222 upvotes
Ottawa
Other than the "barrier" option, I can't think of anything that will stop a male dog from marking territory. So that means a fence of some kind. In summer, you can try the motion detecting water sprayers. http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... MUQAvD_BwE

A bizarre suggestion that I've never had the opportunity to suggest... plant prickly ash, it is a thorny thicket-forming shrub that will deter anything (humans included). We had this at the rural property we owned, and nothing would go near it. Native plant, host to a specific butterfly (forget which one).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20199 posts
2725 upvotes
Out west
OttawaGardener wrote: Other than the "barrier" option, I can't think of anything that will stop a male dog from marking territory. So that means a fence of some kind. In summer, you can try the motion detecting water sprayers. http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... MUQAvD_BwE

A bizarre suggestion that I've never had the opportunity to suggest... plant prickly ash, it is a thorny thicket-forming shrub that will deter anything (humans included). We had this at the rural property we owned, and nothing would go near it. Native plant, host to a specific butterfly (forget which one).
Bushes wont work, the hot tub is right on our deck, I thought there might be some sort of spray that dogs may not like. Once one marks others will as they now have made it their territory.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33810 posts
7452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
WikkiWikki wrote: Bushes wont work, the hot tub is right on our deck, I thought there might be some sort of spray that dogs may not like. Once one marks others will as they now have made it their territory.
Mark your territory. Pee on it

Seriously. Have you considered one of those high pitched noise generators?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20199 posts
2725 upvotes
Out west
Gee wrote: Mark your territory. Pee on it

Seriously. Have you considered one of those high pitched noise generators?
Like those things you use for mice?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20199 posts
2725 upvotes
Out west
Gee wrote: Doesn't work well in snow and will get blown away. If you want to use pepper, it is best to use a perforated container.
Ill try that and raid the wifes pantry
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20199 posts
2725 upvotes
Out west
Todd96srv wrote: Cayenne in a solution...?

Coyote urine? https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.real ... 54981.html

Are you sure it’s a dog and not something wild?
Id prefer not to rub that all over my deck if possible for staining, etc. Plus we do walk on the thing to get to the hot tub. Id rather put something in a container so the smell deters them.

Reading the reviews of that product, looks like it doesnt do much

As for a dog Im assuming it is. As a few neighbours will not keep their dogs either locked up and just let them roam and I see them in our yard.

One derserves to be shot, its chased my five year old niece on our own property, barks at us when we are in our yard, has chased me on my own property. Its rushed my son as well, and this is all on our own property,

We reported it, and afetr that they stopped talking to us, built a huge fence with a huge double gate on their driveway. They used it for two days, and then stopped. So now it just roams. Some people only think of themselves. They are selling and moving anyway.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
It seems you don't want to do anything...?
Either deal with the problem or don't bitch about it!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20199 posts
2725 upvotes
Out west
vkizzle wrote: It seems you don't want to do anything...?
Either deal with the problem or don't bitch about it!
????

So I plan on trying Cayenne pepper in a perforated container, how is that not doing anything.

As for assuming its the neighbours dog, I cant 100% say it is, as Ive never seen it do it. Its either at night or when we arent home. It could be a dog from a few miles away.

Should I just randomly just start shooting dogs as I see fit
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
WikkiWikki wrote: ????

So I plan on trying Cayenne pepper in a perforated container, how is that not doing anything.

As for assuming its the neighbours dog, I cant 100% say it is, as Ive never seen it do it. Its either at night or when we arent home. It could be a dog from a few miles away.

Should I just randomly just start shooting dogs as I see fit
Ultimately, that's your decision!
The fact that you provided several instances of the dogs chasing family members on your own private property, where it should be considered a safe haven; I would pursue a more permanent solution other than cayenne pepper.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16617 posts
2319 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: Whats a good outside deterrant to stop neighbours digs from marking, We have a hot tub that constantly is getting marked on. We don't live in the city, so it could be anyones dog.

Is there a spray a person can use. I keep wiping off the areas but it seems to just get worse. Im sure other stuff in our yard is getting marked as well, but this I notice since it is on our deck and see it al the time

I'm having the same problem - I live on a corner lot and neighbours use it as a toilet. Grrr.