How to stop my neighbours trespassing?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2021 12:26 pm
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
7 posts
11 upvotes

How to stop my neighbours trespassing?

We have recently moved to a detached bungalow in North Etobicoke and the next door neighbours are a bit of a nightmare. Their house seems to be a rooming house with 15-20 people inside.

We share a common alleyway which leads to our backyards and theirs. They filled up their side of the alleyway with furniture and ended up using our side to get out. The most annoying thing is that they cut through our driveway and activate the motion sensor camera (and our dog who is an enthusiastic barker). Often, they would have people coming over for BBQ parties and use our driveway as a “greet and meet” since their driveway is full of cars. They have about 8-9 cars plus a massive van so their driveway is never empty.

It got so annoying, I just turned off the camera notifications. My partner ended up putting the car outside to block them but they still managed to find ways around the car and walk on our driveway.

Would it be possible to put up a fence to separate their side and ours? Do we need to get a permit to do so?

Edit: Photo removed as per others’ advice
Last edited by JennyGD on Apr 18th, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2875 posts
1645 upvotes
Mississauga
Fence is a good idea. You can put the metal ones which do not block visibility, they look good as well. I don't think permit is required to put it on the side of your house. I think only in front you are not allowed to put a fence higher than 1.5 meters.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3399 posts
2204 upvotes
Montreal
Motion activated sprinkler.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1558 posts
1114 upvotes
Brampton
Why the heck did you buy that house, sounds terrible.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1692 posts
783 upvotes
GTA
kopokipi wrote: Why the heck did you buy that house, sounds terrible.
Looks like the house the OP bought was a rebuild, they didn't buy the house knowing that the neighbours would be like that.

Fence looks like it's in order.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9810 posts
3353 upvotes
Fence.
The leader of the past may have been a person who knew how to tell, but certainly, the leader of the future will be a person who knows how to ask. -Peter Drucker
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18613 upvotes
Oakville
Where are you?
Report to bylaw enforcement.
Report to police for breaking lockdown rules.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17111 posts
14508 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Just to further understand ...

Your DETACHED HOUSE is the one with the nice driveway here that everyone is walking on
Their house ... is the one with the bricked driveway ... and the BBQ sits on to the left

If that’s the case ... you aren’t sharing a driveway
And it’s not technically an alleyway either ...
An alley is usually a public / semi public road that provides access to ones backyard ... or back alley garage spot
By going between front & back neighbours lots
These pics don’t depict that at all
(As these are side by side lots )

DETACHED HOUSES clear property lines
Put up a dang fence already

And ya ... report this place
My guess is they are an unlicensed rooming house

Municipal Bylaws cannot dictate how many RELATIVES live on a property
But they certainly can when it comes to NON RELATIVES and rent collection !
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
7 posts
11 upvotes
fergy wrote: 15 to 20 people live in a bungalow rooming house next door? That potentially sounds unsafe. Is it licenced and meeting safety and fire code standards?
https://www.toronto.ca/community-people ... -permitted
Thank you so much for the link! I checked and their address is not on the licensed rooming house list. I will look into reporting them. Previously I reported them for parking violations but the police just told me that due to Covid, perhaps those people don’t have anywhere else to park (!!).
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
7 posts
11 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Motion activated sprinkler.
The postman and amazon drivers will hate us if we do that lol
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
7 posts
11 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Just to further understand ...

Your DETACHED HOUSE is the one with the nice driveway here that everyone is walking on
Their house ... is the one with the bricked driveway ... and the BBQ sits on to the left

If that’s the case ... you aren’t sharing a driveway
And it’s not technically an alleyway either ...
An alley is usually a public / semi public road that provides access to ones backyard ... or back alley garage spot
By going between front & back neighbours lots
These pics don’t depict that at all
(As these are side by side lots )

DETACHED HOUSES clear property lines
Put up a dang fence already

And ya ... report this place
My guess is they are an unlicensed rooming house

Municipal Bylaws cannot dictate how many RELATIVES live on a property
But they certainly can when it comes to NON RELATIVES and rent collection !
Yes. The nice driveway is our side. I attached the alleyway area leading to the two driveways so it’s easier to imagine. Their side has furniture and stuff so most of the time they would be walking on our side but it’s not a big deal in comparison to them cutting through the driveway several times a day (and activate my enthusiastic barking dog).
Last edited by JennyGD on Apr 18th, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
7 posts
11 upvotes
engineered wrote: Where are you?
Report to bylaw enforcement.
Report to police for breaking lockdown rules.
We are in Etobicoke North. Reported them for parking violations (police wouldn’t do anything) and reported them for gathering during covid (no-one turned up).

A tenant next door also left a note in our mailbox asking to rent a parking spot. We ignored it because we like to leave the house when we want and not having to ask others to move their cars so we can leave. Hence why the driveway is always empty for them to cut through ughh.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3925 posts
946 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
JennyGD wrote: Thank you so much for the link! I checked and their address is not on the licensed rooming house list. I will look into reporting them. Previously I reported them for parking violations but the police just told me that due to Covid, perhaps those people don’t have anywhere else to park (!!).
You probably want to edit that first post and remove the photos now.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1110 posts
979 upvotes
ON
I would have put a fence between the properties in a blink of an eye. And from the sounds of it I would have put a wooden fence to gain some privacy.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17111 posts
14508 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
JennyGD wrote: Yes. The nice driveway is our side. I attached the alleyway area leading to the two driveways so it’s easier to imagine. Their side has furniture and stuff so most of the time they would be walking on our side but it’s not a big deal in comparison to them cutting through the driveway several times a day (and activate my enthusiastic barking dog).
Still not an alleyway as far as I can tell
As in it’s NOT SHARED PROPERTY ... USED FOR JOINT ACCESS

It’s just a walkway to the back yard ... a shared walkway cuz the previous owner of your house ... and them decided to do it as a project together

Instead of throwing up a common fence which is what goes on between 2 detached houses in most scenarios.

I take it there is no fence in the backyards either between your 2 houses

Legally your property line is probably right along that middle crack that guy is walking on in pic # 2.

That’s where the fence needs to go. And I would prob extend it at least half way down the drive way too ...

Then the neighbours will be forced to stay on their own side / use their walkway and driveway to get to the street
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
7 posts
11 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Still not an alleyway as far as I can tell
As in it’s NOT SHARED PROPERTY ... USED FOR JOINT ACCESS

It’s just a walkway to the back yard ... a shared walkway cuz the previous owner of your house ... and them decided to do it as a project together

Instead of throwing up a common fence which is what goes on between 2 detached houses in most scenarios.

I take it there is no fence in the backyards either between your 2 houses

Legally your property line is probably right along that middle crack that guy is walking on in pic # 2.

That’s where the fence needs to go. And I would prob extend it at least half way down the drive way too ...

Then the neighbours will be forced to stay on their own side / use their walkway and driveway to get to the street
You are right, it’s a walkway to our backyard and theirs. We do have a fence separating the two properties up until the walkway. Will check with our contractor on putting up a fence. I suppose the fence would go on the property line which means we would have to inform the neighbour? We could move it slightly onto our side but it won’t look as good as extending the existing fence from backyard to driveway.
Last edited by JennyGD on Apr 18th, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 29, 2019
788 posts
360 upvotes
Can i see the pictures Jennygd?
Im so curious what this looks like.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
7 posts
11 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: Can i see the pictures Jennygd?
Im so curious what this looks like.
I sent you a message with a link to the photos
Aug 29, 2019
788 posts
360 upvotes
I agree with the fence. If the driveway didn't extend to the property line, there might be other alternatives like a hedge but the space has very tight size constraints.

I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles. The neighbours are clearly tresspassing and it's disrespectful to invade your space like that. Seems like all the cars in their driveway make it inconvenient to walk down their driveway so they walk down yours.