Home & Garden

How to stop weeds from growing in little section between garage and walkway?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2020 9:05 pm
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
248 posts
89 upvotes

How to stop weeds from growing in little section between garage and walkway?

Pictured below I have this section between garage and walkway that doesn't have grass but I don't want to plant flowers on and don't want weeds to infest like last year. Can I simply put some landscaping cover over it and buy a few bags of river stone and throw over top? Will it be sufficient to make it look decent without the weeds growing?

Secondly, in my other picture, I noticed the color of my stucco outside is a darker shade along the front step, can I clean that in any way to make it look like the rest of the stucco? Any solution recommended to use?
Images
  • IMG_20200428_182537.jpg
  • IMG_20200428_183022.jpg
Last edited by iamkalive on Apr 28th, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1371 posts
1501 upvotes
I put some polymeric sand between the stones. Google it or check out home depot. But you gotta remove the weeds first.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4343 posts
3108 upvotes
I wouldn't recommend landscape fabric and rocks - weeds can grow through that, same with mulch. My recommendation would be plant low-lying ground cover like creeping thyme or periwinkle - it's extremely low maintenance, hardy and will grow back every year...you can probably get the latter for free from a friend or neighbour. Weeds will have a hard time competing. This will definitely be a more attractive, environmentally friendly, easier and cheaper option.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4045 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Good old fashioned boiled hot water will do the trick.
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
POUR Vinegar.

It destroyed a section of my lawn that was infested with ants.

Vinegar killed the ants and killed the grass.

I just had to dig up that soil throw it out and replaced it with new soil and reseeded. Now that patch is gone and grass is growing beautifully.

Vinegar is natural and it works!!!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
248 posts
89 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote: POUR Vinegar.

It destroyed a section of my lawn that was infested with ants.

Vinegar killed the ants and killed the grass.

I just had to dig up that soil throw it out and replaced it with new soil and reseeded. Now that patch is gone and grass is growing beautifully.

Vinegar is natural and it works!!!
Even if I kill all, I don't want grass there
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
iamkalive wrote: Even if I kill all, I don't want grass there
1) Fill with Sand.

2) Fill with Asphalt.

3) Fill with Stones ... small stones.

4) Put in a couple of solar powered path lights and line with large and small stones..
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7399 posts
757 upvotes
Toronto
We haven't had a problem with weeds after we laid down landscape fabric and mulch a few years ago in a similar situation/small area. Will just need replenishing every 2-3 years. I'm sure small river rock and landscape fabric would be ok too. You could dig up some of the soil and replace it with pea gravel or limestone screening as well to add another level of weed protection.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2521 posts
906 upvotes
Mississauga
The issue with gravel, river stone and mulch is not that weed grow from the botttom... dirt and soil get in between and on top of that stuff and then weeds grow on the surface... so it not maintenace free.

If you want maintenace free then extend your interlock and take out that section completly... then in fall you can also easily collect leaves a etc.